+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's New Mac Mini Benchmarked

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple's New Mac Mini Benchmarked

After Apple recently announced a refresh for the Mac mini, a pair of Mac colocation companies performed teardowns and benchmark tests of Apple’s new device. The result: Apple’s small format desktop performance is approaching that of legacy Xserves and 2010’s Mac Pro.

For those of you who didn't know, Apple recently announced a refresh for the Mac mini on Tuesday at a special event. The new iteration is largely seen as an incremental upgrade from last year’s model and doesn't feature a new design like the super thin iMac, however the internal upgrades are substantial enough to boost the tiny computer’s performance. In a recent blog post, Macminicolo noted that the biggest upgrades to the new machine are Intel’s Ivy Bridge processors and the option to configure up to 16GB of 1600MHz RAM straight from Apple. The entry level offering now comes with 4GB (instead of just 2GB, which was just barely enough to run OS X Mountain Lion).

Mac Mini Vault also performed a quick teardown of the new model, finding that not much has changed besides a different fan design, the move to Hitachi HDDs, and updated antenna connections. The company also performed an identical Geekbench test and found that its out-of-the-box unit running OS X 10.8.1 scored 7433, compared to the 2011 Mac mini updated to OS X 10.8.2, which scored 6583.

The new Mac mini is already for sale, starting with a standard $599 configuration powered by an Intel 2.5GHz dual-core i5 chip, 4GB of RAM, a 500GB HDD and integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics. The most expensive configuration comes with OS X Mountain Lion Server, a 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, 4GB of memory, Two 1TB HDDs and Intel HD 4000 graphics.

Will any of you be getting a new Mac mini?

Source: Macminicolo, Mac Mini Vault

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Without discreet GPU MacMini becomes extremely overpriced piece-o-shi. For 700$ (lowest option with 8Gb of ram) it is only good for office work... lolwut?
    I used to love these little buggers when they had nvidia in them. Now? Useless in too many ways a way too steeply priced for what is it good for.

Thanks

NO

Thanks

Default i hate kids who comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    Without discreet GPU MacMini becomes extremely overpriced piece-o-shi. For 700$ (lowest option with 8Gb of ram) it is only good for office work... lolwut?
    I used to love these little buggers when they had nvidia in them. Now? Useless in too many ways a way too steeply priced for what is it good for.
    Hint: they aren't for you, and you obviously don't understand what these are aim'd at. My house has a domain, attached to it hosted by a mini that gives my mac's ios and android devices, VPN, mail, web server, IP camera, Plex, wiki, a backup server, team speak and some other smaller services.

This mini is a godsend for many smaller environments.

Please learn: what you want, may not be what's best in every situation, kid. Or better yet, stop posting.
    My iPhone 4 Mod Flickr Stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54754025@N07/

Thanks

^^
    Hint: Calling some kid without knowing who are you writing to at all makes any valuable thoughts in your post degrade to the non-existent level.

You obviosly fail to read and comprehend what was written, re-read last sentence of my previous post as many times, as you need to understand the meaning of it.

My 2007 mini serves ejabberd, potfix+dovecot, nginx (hosting roundcube) along with tomcat (hosting alfresco) and murmur. Moreover it acts as a wi-fi router. But only because i have upgraded to more recent hardware and had no other use for it. You may guess what OS is installed on it.

P.S. Re-read hint number one yet again, and again if you need to.

P.P.S. And oh yes, again, new mini for the price it is priced is useless.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JesseDegenerate View Post
    Hint: they aren't for you, and you obviously don't understand what these are aim'd at. My house has a domain, attached to it hosted by a mini that gives my mac's ios and android devices, VPN, mail, web server, IP camera, Plex, wiki, a backup server, team speak and some other smaller services.

Please learn: what you want, may not be what's best in every situation, kid. Or better yet, stop posting.
    Awesome come back. I also think the mini is a very useful computer.

I do have to say what is it with people on the Internet and their obsession with apostrophes? The word is aimed. I don't know what aim'd means. The apostrophe is nowhere near the e on a keyboard, so it can't be a typo.
    Hmm...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseDegenerate View Post

Kid? You just schooled him right? Not really, as you could do all of those tasks on a $400 linux machine, fanboy. Not to mention you don't need a "dedicated" server to do any of these tasks. My desktop at home will do all of this while running any game I want to play on ultra settings.

Don't forget that you are probably in less than 1% of their target audience by doing all of this nonsense. Most people don't care to have a [overpriced] domain at their house and if they spend $700 on a computer they want to actually use it however they like, lol. Get off your high horse, this doesn't make you look smart in any way, you just look like a playground bully.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BIMPtacular View Post
    Kid? You just schooled him right? Not really, as you could do all of those tasks on a $400 linux machine, fanboy. Not to mention you don't need a "dedicated" server to do any of these tasks. My desktop at home will do all of this while running any game I want to play on ultra settings.

Don't forget that you are probably in less than 1% of their target audience by doing all of this nonsense. Most people don't care to have a [overpriced] domain at their house and if they spend $700 on a computer they want to actually use it however they like, lol. Get off your high horse, this doesn't make you look smart in any way, you just look like a playground bully.

Please give me the specs, component list and wattage of your $400 linux machine.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kithix View Post
    Please give me the specs, component list and wattage of your $400 linux machine.
    I don't remember saying I have one. I said that a $400 Linux machine could perform those tasks, and that I have a desktop that can do that while gaming. Never anything about having a $400 Linux machine. If you're going to try to discredit my statement, at least make an argument against something I've actually said.

What kind of specs, components, and wattage do you think those tasks need? See how I can turn a pointless question around? You don't need massive specs or specialized components for that type of functionality.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kithix View Post
    Let's for the sake of discussion dissect some e-shop, say newegg.

GA-Z77N-WIFI, Intel i3-3225, IN WIN IW-BQ656T (the case), Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (kit of two 4GB) lastly Hitachi GST Travelstar 7K750.
    Thats: 130 + 145 + 50 + 35 + 60$ = 410$
    In which i have used probably THE most expensive mini-itx motherboard, with two gigabit ethernet ports (meaning it, unlike mini without thunderbolt-to-ethernet anything, can go wired router right away). I have a slightly better clocked CPU with the same HD4000 intel integrated, have same amount of RAM and 7200 RPM hdd vs. 5400 in Mini. With slightly larger case, and 95W vs. 85W of Mini's.
    What can i do with the additional 290$? Well, go check yourself to that of your liking.

Want OSX on it? Add three drivers available from the community and about an hour of reading the installation instructions, but... who in seriousness would make "domain/vpn/mail/router/teamspeak/etc..." server out of OSX?

Oh, and don't forget, that apple, with their leverage, buy hardware much cheaper than i, average consumer, from reseller of reseller.

So...

P.S.
    I, myself, unless it is clear from my info, use Apples alongside with non-Apples. So anti-apple/fanboy/whatever arguments are a waste of everyone's time.

Cheers.
    Last edited by dennder; 10-25-2012 at 01:22 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

Ding, Ding, Ding,
    Round one goes to Dennder and BIMPtacular.

Lets keep it clean and no hits below the belt.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennder View Post
    Let's for the sake of discussion dissect some e-shop, say newegg.

GA-Z77N-WIFI, Intel i3-3223, IN WIN IW-BQ656T (the case), Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (kit of two 4GB) lastly Hitachi GST Travelstar 7K750.
    Thats: 130 + 145 + 50 + 35 + 60$ = 410$
    In which i have used probably THE most expensive mini-itx motherboard, with two gigabit ethernet ports (meaning it, unlike mini without thunderbolt-to-ethernet anything, can go wired router right away). I have a slightly better clocked CPU with the same HD4000 intel integrated, have same amount of RAM and 7200 RPM hdd vs. 5400 in Mini. With slightly larger case, and 95W vs. 85W of Mini's.
    What can i do with the additional 290$? Well, go check yourself to that of your liking.

Want OSX on it? Add three drivers available from the community and about an hour of reading the installation instructions, but... who in seriousness would make "domain/vpn/mail/router/teamspeak/etc..." server out of OSX?

Oh, and don't forget, that apple, with their leverage, buy hardware much cheaper than i, average consumer, from reseller of reseller.

So...

P.S.
    I, myself, unless it is clear from my info, use Apples alongside with non-Apples. So anti-apple/fanboy/whatever arguments are a waste of everyone's time.

Cheers.
    Damn you beat me to it and had $20 less spent.

Also I'd like to add that if you double that $410 you can build PC that would rival most of the high end apple desktops while also having the ability to run osx.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was initially very excited about the refresh but the lack of a discreet GPU was definitely a turnoff. I was thinking of using it as a HTPC and now I'm split between this and a refurbished 2011 model.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pyroemaniac View Post
    Also I'd like to add that if you double that $410 you can build PC that would rival most of the high end apple desktops while also having the ability to run osx.
    While bare hardware-specific true, do not forget, that iMac does have an exceptional 8bit H-IPS display from LG, which, as far as i know is used in Dell U2713HM for example. And that dell alone costs ~750$. So iMac, in terms of overall price/performance/build-quality/usability is not as overpriced as this particular Mini or Pro for that matter.

I found out the hard way how good were displays in desktop Macs trying to find a decent replacement, that would not cost thousands of dollars (like Eizo/Nec's), when my 24" 2008y model died out of GPU overheat and took display assembly with it.
    Building temporary hackintosh was one-day job, but the display...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BIMPtacular View Post

I have yet to see a linux machine acting as a Primary DC, Slave DC. Sure, But not a primary.
    As far as the gaming, I'm sure your loving "all" your Linux games on ultra!

-Pete

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidpete View Post
    I have yet to see a linux machine acting as a Primary DC, Slave DC. Sure, But not a primary.
    As far as the gaming, I'm sure your loving "all" your Linux games on ultra!

-Pete
    Congrats on responding to me without comprehending what I said. I never said I was using a $400 Linux machine. I said that those things could be done via a $400 Linux machine, or a cheaper hackintosh with better specs for that matter

I did say that my gaming machine, which cost me $1200 and runs Windows btw, is capable of doing everything on that list while gaming. So why would you spend $700 for a machine dedicated to those tasks? Which implies that you have another system for gaming/productivity and I'm sure the two together cost well over the price of my single desktop, especially for an Apple fanboy.

It is overpriced for what it is no matter how you spin it. I understand you might want to waste your money, but my point is don't try to belittle the people who don't want to.