+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Announces Next Generation iMac

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple has announced their next-generation iMac, which is Apple’s best-selling desktop computer. The new iMac has a complete redesign and it’s much thinner and lighter – 80% thinner, and 8
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Announces Next Generation iMac

Apple has announced their next-generation iMac, which is Apple’s best-selling desktop computer. The new iMac has a complete redesign and it’s much thinner and lighter – 80% thinner, and 8 pounds lighter. Although it's thinner at the edge, it does get thicker as you move to the center of the machine.

To make the iMac thinner, Apple has removed the optical CD/DVD drive and re-engineered the display. There no longer a gap between the glass and the actual display, as it is now laminated to the glass. This will reduce glare and make the display look much better, as well as reduce the thickness of the display. Each display is individually calibrated on the manufacturing line, according to Apple's Phil Schiller.

Functionally, the iMac comes with some hardware upgrades too. The iMac gets a FaceTime HD camera, improved stereo sound, and dual microphones. These upgrades will make listening to music, watching videos, having FaceTime calls, and Skype calls much better along with other things.

The iMac comes with the option of Apple’s new Fusion Drive, which is an intelligent hybrid drive that combines hard disk storage with flash storage; more on the Fusion Drive here. Users can also configure the amount of storage they want, with up to 768GB of flash storage. The new iMac now supports up to 32GB of memory, which is twice what was allowed in the last generation.

The 21.5-inch iMac gets a 2.7Ghz quad-core Intel i5 processor, while the 27-inch iMac gets a 2.9Ghz quad-core Intel i7 processor.

The new iMac comes in 21.5 and 27-inch configurations, which start at $1299 and $1799 respectively. The 21.5-inch model ships next month, but people wanting the 27-inch model will have to wait until December.

The Apple Store Web site is now up and running again. Here is a link to the iMac section of the Web site.

Source: Apple
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-23-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Added processor speeds

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

So exactly what I was thinking Celt its not retina. That's ok. 80% thinner. Wow.

wPz
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Bought my iMac last week. No retake program or something?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wPz View Post
    Bought my iMac last week. No retake program or something?
    It's within 30 days, so you would probably be able to return it and buy the new one.

Thanks

Really boooooring update for the imac. Thinner? Who cares? It sits on a desk, it is not like one carries an imac in the purse/backpack/portfolio. If I had to update my imac I'd get a mac mini and external monitor. Cheaper, and partial upgrades possible.

wPz
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It's within 30 days, so you would probably be able to return it and buy the new one.
    how does this works? I go to the store and then...??

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

It's about time! I have been waiting a looooong time! I will be ordering the top of the line very soon.

By the way, I currently have a "fusion" drive in my MacBookPro and I did not notice any difference from a traditional drive. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    iPhones are going to a 15 day return window. I would check to see if the same applies to iMacs.
    Unless you absolutely had to have an iMac, why would you buy one knowing the refresh was waaaaay overdue?
    Last edited by luvmytj; 10-23-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks

This is so stupid. It sits on my desk. Who cares about how thin it is. I would rather have a normal super thick monitor than a computer without a disk drive. This is just plain stupid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iH85CH001 View Post
    This is so stupid. It sits on my desk. Who cares about how thin it is. I would rather have a normal super thick monitor than a computer without a disk drive. This is just plain stupid.
    Need a floppy for that too? lol

Thanks

I rarely use optical disc anymore. I use a flash drive for most things. If you really miss it just grab an extrnal dvd/blue ray drive.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    It's about time! I have been waiting a looooong time! I will be ordering the top of the line very soon.

By the way, I currently have a "fusion" drive in my MacBookPro and I did not notice any difference from a traditional drive. Just sayin'.

iPhones are going to a 15 day return window. I would check to see if the same applies to iMacs.
    Unless you absolutely had to have an iMac, why would you buy one knowing the refresh was waaaaay overdue?
    Unless your in the great state of california lol. State law here says 30 days so it won't change for Cali

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

Good luck running windows 95 on that thing lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone sammo123's Avatar
    Thanks

maybe its just me but the last time i put any disk into my computer it was to burn a cd...that was years ago
    RIP Steve Jobs.. You changed the world

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    I rarely use optical disc anymore. I use a flash drive for most things. If you really miss it just grab an extrnal dvd/blue ray drive.
    When you spend this kind of money a dvd/blu ray drive should be included especially for a desktop.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I mean i dont use disks that often anymore however i cant use my digital copy anymore unless i use the remote disk which is a pain in the ***! And the remote disk has 1/8th of the functions it actually has! I cant even use it for my digital copy because it wont read it.

Banned
    Thanks
    Man, I am so glad I didn't wait for this. I only wish I had USB 3 on my iMac 27" purchased in June, but I'll gladly keep my RAM upgradability, optical drive and line-in audio jack.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

I have been wanting to update my iMac. I got a early 2010 model. Works great but Macs hold decent resale value so the hit is not so bad upgrading every couple years.

Thanks

This was the most impressive product announced today.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    I mean i dont use disks that often anymore however i cant use my digital copy anymore unless i use the remote disk which is a pain in the ***! And the remote disk has 1/8th of the functions it actually has! I cant even use it for my digital copy because it wont read it.
    Go grab a superdrive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RokeSmoreMeefer View Post
    Man, I am so glad I didn't wait for this. I only wish I had USB 3 on my iMac 27" purchased in June, but I'll gladly keep my RAM upgradability, optical drive and line-in audio jack.
    You would of had USB3 which is a huge improvement. The user can still upgrade the ram on the new iMac, in fact up to twice as much as your old machine. Optical drive? Who uses them anymore. I rarely need one and when I do, I use an external. The audio jack supports the mic in the iPhone headset as a line in, but no true line in. Again, in my personal expirence I rarely if ever use it since my amplified speaker set has both line in & out and is more convenient. I could care less about how thin it is. The new iMac is a nice improvement.
    Bet your not so glad you got an old model now eh?