Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Unveils Dazzling New 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Unveils Dazzling New 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Apple today kicked off its media event with the presentation of a new, redesigned, Retina display-ready 13-inch MacBook Pro - a move that builds upon the popularity of the number-one selling Mac.

Unveiled today by Philip Schiller, the senior vice president of worldwide marketing at Apple, the new MacBook Pro is 25% thinner than the previous model and weighs just 3 pounds. It goes without saying that this is the lightest MacBook Pro ever released by Apple.

The machine is all but 0.75 inches thick and the MacBook Pro's stunning Retina display has more than 4 times the pixels of the previous model. Also included is a FaceTime HD camera, up to 7 hours of battery life, dual microphones, a backlit keyboard, and a pretty sweet glass multi-touch trackpad.

The 2.5 GHZ model starts at $1,699. That comes with 8 gigs of RAM and a 128-gigabyte flash drive. The refreshed MacBook Pro will be ready to ship today.

Not something I will be getting. It still relies on the integrated graphics, with no discrete graphics card, it's only available in a dual-core processor configuration, and a maximum of 8GB of memory.

The 15-inch is where the powerhouse machines begin.

You've got to be @%$@$ kidding me!!! All this time to deliver a weak *** under powered 13 inch laptop?!?! Apple really had opportunity to really light up the under 15 inch laptop market with a discrete graphics card, but instead they deliver this Intel HD 4000 garbage.

PASS! You're seriously better off buying the low end 15 inch unit for $100 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Not something I will be getting. It still relies on the integrated graphics, with no discrete graphics card, it's only available in a dual-core processor configuration, and a maximum of 8GB of memory.

The 15-inch is where the powerhouse machines begin.
    Wrong as usual, Anthony: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy1dLr0g6Yc&sns=em
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadomon View Post

It indeed has a maximum memory configuration of 8GB and only comes in a dual-core processor configuration. You'll also notice from the screenshot that it only comes with the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics.

This machine is nowhere near as powerful as the 15-inch. Please explain how I was wrong?
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-24-2012 at 01:41 PM.

I guess the larger point is that the new MBP is more than powerful enough for 99.9% of the time. Somehow, we used to get by with single-core processors and <1GB of RAM.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadomon View Post
    I guess the larger point is that the new MBP is more than powerful enough for 99.9% of the time. Somehow, we used to get by with single-core processors and <1GB of RAM.
    Still doesn't answer how I was wrong .

Sigh. Okay, Anthony, factually correct, grammatically correct for once, but the fact remains that this is a smokin' machine that is more than adequate for most people most of the time. That's all I was saying.
    Quaerite et invenietis.