+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tweetbot for Mac Now Available in the Mac App Store

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
For a long time, the Twitter community has been awaiting the final release of Tweetbot for Mac. Back in July, Tapbots announced that they were launching Tweetbot alpha, followed by
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

Default Tweetbot for Mac Now Available in the Mac App Store

For a long time, the Twitter community has been awaiting the final release of Tweetbot for Mac. Back in July, Tapbots announced that they were launching Tweetbot alpha, followed by a beta, for Mac users to try out for free until it went live in the Mac App Store. That time has finally come.

Tweetbot can now be downloaded on Mac computers through the Mac App Store for a price of $19.99. This sounds like a steep price, but Tapbots explains that the price is fair because Tweetbot is a "quality piece of software" that you will use on a daily basis. Tapbots also makes mention about the limited amount of tokens:

Quote Originally Posted by Tapbots
    Why is Tweetbot for Mac $20?

If you think about it, it’s not that expensive. Twenty dollars for a quality piece of software that you use every day? That has been the price point for quality utility apps on the Mac for years. However, it’s not just the development time and attention we put into the app that commands the higher price.

Because of Twitter’s recent enforcement of token limits, we only have a limited number of tokens available for Tweetbot for Mac. These tokens dictate how many users Tweetbot for Mac can have. The app’s limit is separate from, but much smaller than, the limit for Tweetbot for iOS. Once we use up the tokens granted to us by Twitter, we will no longer be able to sell the app to new users. Tapbots will continue to support Tweetbot for Mac for existing customers at that time.

This limit and our desire to continue to support the app once we sell out is why we’ve priced Tweetbot for Mac a little higher than we’d like. It’s the best thing we can do for the long term viability of the product. We know some will not be happy about Tweetbot for Mac’s pricing, but the bottom line is Twitter needs to provide us with more tokens for us to be able to sell at a lower the price. We spent a year developing this app and it’s the only way for us to be able to make our money back and continue supporting it with updates in the future. Feel free to let Twitter know how you feel about it.
    The company explains how the limited amount of tokens Twitter has provided for Tapbots makes it difficult for the company to make the money back that they spent developing the application, so the higher price will assist them in covering those costs. Once all the tokens have been used up, Tapbots won't be able to sell the application to Twitter users anymore. Tapbots promises premium support for the price as well.

Tapbots does request that anyone who tried Tweetbot for Mac in the alpha and beta stages revokes access to Tweetbot from Twitter so that your token can be used by people that do want to use the application. All of the alpha and beta versions of the software will expire, meaning the only way to use Tweetbot for Mac is to purchase the full version from the Mac App Store.

If you like using Tweetbot on your iOS device, this application will complement it very nicely on your Mac. If you don’t mind paying the premium, you can download it from this link.

Sources: Mac App Store via Tapbots Blog

Thanks

And so it begins: Twitter's new guidelines finally start to hit home. This is not going to go over well with anyone—customers, Twitter, nor Tapbots.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

So mountain lion costs £13.99 and tweetbot costs £20..... Doesn't seem right somehow

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Agreed! Twitter will suffer for imposing limits like this! Just because they want everyone to use the stock Apps from them or the Web version doesn't mean any of them are fully featured enough for some power users and most normal users too, stock is for beginners in my opinion.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have no problem using the standard Twitter app as is and for me to even consider the "few extra benefits" of tweetbot It would have to be free - $0.99

I simply don't see the value over what I already have, certainly not $20.00 worth regardless of what their excuse is.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,189 Times in 6,972 Posts

$20 is way too much, I dont see other twitter apps priced at that, wouldnt they have the same token limit? Having that limit in the first place does suck for them though, but still.
    I personally never minded using the official twitter app but the fact that it is STILL not retina ready is just unacceptable.

Thanks

I like tweetbot & i have it for my iPad & iPhone, but why would i pay $20 for it when it's cheaper as An App for the other idevices.