Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Preparing to Use Passbook at Retail Locations

Thanks

Default Apple Preparing to Use Passbook at Retail Locations

A source who claims to be familiar with Apple’s retail operations recently said that the Cupertino California company is going to roll out changes to the existing EasyPay point-of-sale system to include payments from Passbook by the end of October. This should bring support for the iOS 6 feature to the company’s retail stores going forward. The source went on to say that Passbook users will likely be limited to using prepaid gift cards when the service launches although Apple may choose to implement a system in which users can add funds to a dedicated Apple Store digital card in the future.

Starbucks also uses a similar solution, which essentially brings the reloadable “Starbucks card” from the company’s existing iOS app into Passbook. It should be noted however that users of the system cannot recharge their card within Passbook, which makes the feature less useful than the iteration Starbuck’s app uses.

Features such as this one were first pointed out by Apple’s head of iOS development, Scott Forstall, in June at the Worldwide Developers Conference but they failed to come to fruition at the debut of iOS 6. As Passbook continues to gain traction with major retailers, the ticket, gift card and pass repository is expected to become increasingly robust, giving users a place to store all their barcode-based assets. Examples of the service’s potential include the success that Major League Baseball saw last week with 12% of all e-ticket holders opting to receive passes that were Passbook-enabled.

Hopefully the trend continues and Passbook picks up more as it is a feature that will seemingly make life easier for many iOS users. Once Apple implements at their Apple retail store locations, I'm sure many users will look to take advantage of the option.

Source: TUAW

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

Why wouldn't you just use your card or cash? It's much easier than adding funds to a gift card and jumping through the hoops of getting it to show up in passbook. And if you don't add just the right amount of funds it sits in the app unusable.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I would only use it if it used the card on my apple account. Kinda like one click on the iTunes Store. That would be nice. Put my password in and they scan the phone and I walk out. They just have to email me my receipt as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
    Why wouldn't you just use your card or cash? It's much easier than adding funds to a gift card and jumping through the hoops of getting it to show up in passbook. And if you don't add just the right amount of funds it sits in the app unusable.
    People want to look cool when buying things. Thats why I'ma use it. Make everyone behind me feel less fortunate when I pull out that iPhone 5

I find myself using passbook during lunch breaks at work. Good for those times I don't want to carry my purse. Digital isn't all bad.

When they mention retail locations I'm also assuming Kroger and other grocery stores, Walmart, reward cards for clothing stores such as Guess Jeans. A lot of places are offering rewards for using their member card, which are most times free.

What can I say. Developers have more things to do and companies have a new opportunity towards marketing = Jobs!