+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Facebook Now Up to One Billion Active Users Per Month

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Facebook is a popular social networking site that many people couldn’t even fathom living without these days; almost everyone you know has a Facebook, or will be joining Facebook due
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 808 Posts

Default Facebook Now Up to One Billion Active Users Per Month

Facebook is a popular social networking site that many people couldn’t even fathom living without these days; almost everyone you know has a Facebook, or will be joining Facebook due to the marketing and peer pressures that pop up across TV commercials, the Internet, and from friends. Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, has announced today that the site now has over one billion active monthly users:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Zuckerberg
    This morning, there are more than one billion people using Facebook actively each month.

If you're reading this: thank you for giving me and my little team the honor of serving you.

Helping a billion people connect is amazing, humbling and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life.

I am committed to working every day to make Facebook better for you, and hopefully together one day we will be able to connect the rest of the world too.
    According to Facebook, these numbers come from statistics taken on September 14th of this year. Facebook also released a Microsoft Word fact sheet that includes other interesting kinds of varying information (some details outlined below):

Since February 2009
    • Facebook users have clicked the like button 1.13 trillion times
    • 140.3 billion connections have been made on Facebook
    • 219 billion photographs have been uploaded to Facebook
    • 17 billion posts that tag a user's location have been shared (check-ins)
    • 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times

Characteristics of Users After Facebook Hit 1 Billion Users
    • The median age of Facebook users is 22 years old
    • The top five Facebook-using countries in alphabetical order are:
      • Brazil
      • India
      • Indonesia
      • Mexico
      • United States
    • 600 Million Facebook users are using the mobile version of the site

The fact sheet goes on to explain more numbers from older periods in time. It’s interesting to see these numbers because it’s hard for people to admit that they may be addicted to Facebook. It’s also very surprising to see exactly how much interactivity we have with other people over the Web site, rather than face-to-face. In situations where face-to-face may not be possible, Facebook has helped us connect with people hundreds and even thousands of miles away form us.

With even iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion offering Facebook integration, it is likely that Facebook will see even more new users as they upgrade to the new operating systems and explore the new social networking features. As of these milestones, Facebook’s usage will only continue to grow. It should be interesting to see how the numbers multiply in another couple of years.

Sources: Facebook Newsroom
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-04-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Word mix up

Thanks
    Count me one of those that DON'T have Facebook.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'd say there's at least 100 million bogus/fake/duplicate accounts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post

Since February 2009
    • Facebook users have clicked the like button 1.13 trillion times
    • 140.3 billion people have connected with friends on Facebook
    • 219 billion photographs have been uploaded to Facebook
    • 17 billion posts that tag a user's location have been shared (check-ins)
    • 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times
    140.3 billion people have connected with friends on Facebook? There are only 7 billion people total on this planet. Where does this math come from? Check your source Anthony. It says 140.3 billion connections not 140.3 billion people. Big difference.

Fixed.
    Last edited by FireSpyder; 10-04-2012 at 02:07 PM.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 808 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FireSpyder View Post
    140.3 billion people have connected with friends on Facebook? There are only 7 billion people total on this planet. Where does this math come from? Check your source Anthony. It says 140.3 billion connections not 140.3 billion people. Big difference.
    Just a word mix up. Fixed. Thanks!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jupit3r View Post
    AGREED! The majority of people who use FaceCrook have absolutely NO LIFE so they sit on FaceCrook and hang out with all the other losers who don't have a life. If they actually had REAL FRIENDS and a REAL LIFE they wouldn't have time for crap like FaceCrook!

Same with Twitter, most people who use Twitter have absolutely NO BUSINESS being on Twitter. Unless you have something going on that is business related and you need to keep customers informed, or if you're a celebrity or a musician and you wanna keep your viewers and listeners informed of new movie releases or new album releases etc, then that's fine. But these weirdos who are nobodies in life and post up useless crap on Twitter about their boring life are the ones who have absolutely NO BUSINESS using Twitter.

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

I work and support a family, that includes doin actual things with them, park, swim, etc. plus chill with friends and am on facebook a good bit. But its all mobile. My phone was broke for aweek. No internet. I. Survived.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iamFail View Post
    AGREED! The majority of people who use FaceCrook have absolutely NO LIFE so they sit on FaceCrook and hang out with all the other losers who don't have a life. If they actually had REAL FRIENDS and a REAL LIFE they wouldn't have time for crap like FaceCrook!

Same with Twitter, most people who use Twitter have absolutely NO BUSINESS being on Twitter. Unless you have something going on that is business related and you need to keep customers informed, or if you're a celebrity or a musician and you wanna keep your viewers and listeners informed of new movie releases or new album releases etc, then that's fine. But these weirdos who are nobodies in life and post up useless crap on Twitter about their boring life are the ones who have absolutely NO BUSINESS using Twitter.
    I use Facebook to connect with real friends that I have in real life. I guess I'm still a complete pathetic loser, though. You're so smart.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    10 char

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

+1

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

For someone who obviously has a raging social live filled with nonstop action you certainly seem to have had plenty of free time to sit and think about how much you hate and despise Facebook and Twitter. I mean that's what I do when I'm out living life to its fullest too!

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Its just not for people that don't have a life.... retired people, people that are disabled or handicap may like it.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why is it facecrook just wondering since its a free social network?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eonhpi View Post
    Why is it facecrook just wondering since its a free social network?
    Free is an illusion. One of the best descriptions I've heard relating to FB is "If you're not paying for the service, you're not the customer. You're the product."

Green Apple
    Thanks

this makes no sense. what would be the point for any of these people to have "viewers and listeners informed" if, by what you're saying, viewers and listeners shouldn't have this service anyways. if only people with business' or musicians should have it, then there ARE no fans to have follow them. sounds to me like you're just upset because your crush deleted you from their friends list because they don't know/care who you are. its called the freedom of selection. if you dont like that your friends list is posting pictures of dinner, then why are they your friend to begin with? oh, right. because you probably know them in real life.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I used to think the same way. I actually do still think the same way. I recently signed up for account to keep in touch with friends living abroad. It has come in handy several times, but its generally useless. It's such a hassle trying to dodge/avoid people left, right and center both offline AND online.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Certde View Post
    I use Facebook to connect with real friends that I have in real life. I guess I'm still a complete pathetic loser, though. You're so smart.
    Good point except that before Facebook we Skype'd, txt'd, emailed, called, then before that maybe yahoo or MSN IM, or ICQ even etc. Its all the same **** isn't it?!

Personally I find FB just another form of this e-communication. It does integrate some things, but at what opportunity cost to us. I agree we become commoditised. And fir what? Theres really nothing new or ground breaking IMO, so it adds no real value to my life. If anything its an illusion of interpersonal proportions, thwart with time wasting and ultimately un-stimulating content. That's not completely real. May as well play second life.

Anyone worth connecting with online I already have ALL their other contacts which was because I knew and interact with them already in the flesh. So, I deleted my account and I have so much more time back. Think about it, its just a BOOK of FACES. I'm over it. "Thumbs down". But maybe it makes others feel secure to be always connected. Fine, whatever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think we're running out of real news...

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhonePutz View Post
    Free is an illusion. One of the best descriptions I've heard relating to FB is "If you're not paying for the service, you're not the customer. You're the product."
    But you get a service from them so that puts a end to that argument

I use google+ with all the true geeks. That's where I get real engagement.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jupit3r View Post
    Same here. They sell
    Your info to other marketing companies. Ever wonder why u get a strange text from a money service or a strange email from a loan co. U never signed up for?