+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Signs Deal with Microlatch to Work on Fingerprint Recognition Technology

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Signs Deal with Microlatch to Work on Fingerprint Recognition Technology

Even as AuthenTec’s board of directors seems to be moving toward the approval of Apple’s $356 million acquisition of the fingerprint sensor chip company, a new report suggests that Apple seems to be continuing its search with talent and technology required to assist its mobile payments effort. According to The Australian, Apple recently signed a deal to work with the Australian firm, Microlatch, on similar fingerprint recognition technology for integration with mobile payments via near field communications (NFC). News of the deal comes from former heard of the Commonwealth Bank and a lead investor in Microlatch, David Murray:

Mr Murray said the company had an agreement with the notoriously secretive Apple to develop fingerprint technology for use in near-field communications applications.

Microlatch has patented fingerprint identification technology that meets banking security standards without the need for central processing or storage; a process Mr Murray described as "self-registering".
    There hasn’t been any additional information regarding Apple’s partnership with Microlatch but it is clear that the Cupertino California company is interested in fingerprint recognition and mobile payment technology. Despite its interest in the two, Apple seems to taking it slow when it comes to employing mobile payments as it continues to examine the potential of the technology and continues to play around with various options for implementing it.

If you’re a fan of reading Apple news, than you surely know that NFC has been a rather frequent topic among rumors in relation to the iPhone. Some even speculated it to be released last year and then again this year in the update to the iPhone but Apple seems to have elected to not include it in the iPhone 4S and even decided against it in the redesigned iPhone 5 this year as well. We’ll have to continue to be patient to see what Apple does with all these acquisitions and what’s in store for future iOS products.

Source: The Australian

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Banned
    Thanks

So this is the next thing Apple will say they inverted and try to patent.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Payment via fingerprint? Great, so now getting robbed may mean losing a finger! I'm pretty fond of keeping all of my appendages so they can keep that one concept for sci-fi movies.

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Payment via fingerprint? Great, so now getting robbed may mean losing a finger! I'm pretty fond of keeping all of my appendages so they can keep that one concept for sci-fi movies.
    *year later, iPhone 6 comes out*
    OMG this is the best feature ever! It's so secure I love it!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    So this is the next thing Apple will say they inverted and try to patent.
    I was wondering how long before adds a stupid patent reference. 1st post, wow!

Anyway, this looks to be pretty cool. I would imagine that it will have the same draw backs at first e.g. Apple Maps, but eventually will add better security to our devices. At the same time if your phone is stolen, whoever stole it would be leaving their fingerprint scan right on your device to help police locate it.
    ►o·pen/ˈōpən/
    Accessible to all.
    Allowing access; not locked up.
    Having no means of closing or barring.
    Free from limitations, boundaries, or restrictions.

Thanks

I know right..every time this site gives us a glimpse into the future of Apple, we get a hater that thinks it won't work or is a waste of time. Then when the new phone drops..its a MUST they have it haha! Just like everyone that said "i hope the iPhone 4 doesn't look like this Gizmodo leaks" "I hope the iPhone 5 doesn't have brushed metal" blah blah blah..doesn't stop sales. Go compare the iPhone 5 sales compared to the GS3..hahaha..no comparison :]

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    i know right..every time this site gives us a glimpse into the future of apple, we get a hater that thinks it won't work or is a waste of time. Then when the new phone drops..its a must they have it haha! Just like everyone that said "i hope the iphone 4 doesn't look like this gizmodo leaks" "i hope the iphone 5 doesn't have brushed metal" blah blah blah..doesn't stop sales. Go compare the iphone 5 sales compared to the gs3..hahaha..no comparison :]
    true!!!!