+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Next-Generation Nest Learning Thermostat Revealed by Tony Fadell

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Next-Generation Nest Learning Thermostat Revealed by Tony Fadell

Former Apple executive, Tony Fadell, recently introduced the second-iteration of his company’s Nest Learning Thermostat. The second-generation thermostat boasts features such as new hardware and software, wider compatibility, more apps and a refreshed design. The company is even announced that it is rolling out version 3.0 of its Nest software for its existing owners along with the debut of the second-generation Nest.

The new version of the Nest brings a completely revamped wiring layout with compatibility for two stage cooling and dual fuel systems, emergency heat, and whole-home humidifiers and dehumidifiers. The unit’s face is now a one-piece “lens,” which gets rid of the original device’s sensor grill. Features carried over from the first generation products include Wi-Fi connectivity, programmable functions based on usage patterns and remote control over wireless via supported apps. Along with the new software update, if you haven’t bought one already, the device looks quite tempting to purchase.

For those of you who didn't already know, Tony Fadell is also known as the “grandfather of the iPod” and he is the one who designed the new Nest with an aluminum enclosure and simple interface. Those who are interested in getting the second-generation Nest Learning Thermostat, can pre-order through the company’s online store for a price of $249.

Source: Nest (blog)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Glad they are going to release update for last gen ones also. They said they will continue to sell both of them with the older one being 20$ cheaper I think.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I love my Nest's

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Loving our Nest thermostat too! Best one I have ever used. It has saved us the purchase cost and more!

Thanks

I may have to invest in one..seems pretty sweet!

Thanks

What if you leave the thermostat on 76 all the time and pretty much never change it? Is there any point to having one of these in that case?

Reason being that my wife is at home most of the day with our son, so there is almost always someone in the house, which is why we don't really have our programmable 'stat set to adjust the temperature throughout the day.
    Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 10-03-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

..I realize nest is a cool product. But why is there an article? Just cause he used to work for apple? You don't write articles about other executives.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    ..I realize nest is a cool product. But why is there an article? Just cause he used to work for apple? You don't write articles about other executives.
    Yeah so where is the upgrade deal for previous owners.

Oh, and I really hate that I cannot control the downloading of new OS versions to the NEST. I dont want to be beta testing their OS changes.

The first time they did this months ago it crashed my Nest and I had to make a Tech call. This time it downloaded but the thermostat is working differently.

It should be up to me on OS updates.