Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple: Don't Use Palm Rest Covers On Your MacBook Pro With Retina Display

Default Apple: Don't Use Palm Rest Covers On Your MacBook Pro With Retina Display

Even if you like making your MacBook Pro with retina display look awesome with vinyl or other kinds of stick-on designs, you may want to reconsider putting them on the machine. Apple is now telling their customers that it is a bad idea to use palm rest covers on retina display-equipped MacBook Pros.

According to a post today by Apple, using any kind of palm rest cover on the MacBook Pro with retina display can put the geometry of the display at an awkward angle when closing it. Due to the display being so thin and the device being precision-engineered to keep its slim form factor, this slight adjustment of the display’s clam shell geometry can cause the screen to suffer damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple
    Symptoms

Leaving palm rest covers or other material on the palm rest surface of your computer could result in damage to the display when you close it.

Resolution

To enable thin design, the clearance between the display and the palm rest area is engineered to tight tolerances. Do not use palm rest covers as the added thickness may interfere with the designed resting position of the display.

As a best practice, keep the palm rest clear of any material.
    Apple says the machine is “engineered to tight tolerances,” which should never be shoved over the edge.

With many palm rest covers being a mere sheet of paper thick, it would come off to most people as a negligible change in the way the machine closes. On the contrary, it comes off as a surprise to learn that the aftermarket product could actually harm the display instead of simply making the machine look cooler.

Apple does not make any references to the older MacBook Pro models and the issue only appears to be directed toward the 2012 MacBook Pro with retina display. That being said, if you have a palm rest cover for your non-retina display MacBook Pro, you should be fine installing it without any issues.

Sources: Apple via Macgasm
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 10-01-2012 at 08:43 PM.

lol thanks for the info i was about to go out and buy one for the new macbook i just bought today

You are holding it wrong

I installed invisibe sheild
    The other day. It closed fine without any issues

Quote Originally Posted by traktor03 View Post
    I installed invisibe sheild
    The other day. It closed fine without any issues
    It's going to close fine. It just puts unnecessary stress on the display.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Wouldn't a screen protector resolve the issue or is the damage that can be caused more severe than some scratches?

Probably a compression fracture issue.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Wouldn't a screen protector resolve the issue or is the damage that can be caused more severe than some scratches?
    From what I'm gathering, the display can crack. It's made to fold flat, but by being at an angle, a large amount of stress is put on the center of the display and above.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Its more severe than some scratches, the palm rest covers or screen protectors make a bulk that actually pushes the screen upwards, just like your finger would do if you press the screen with force and I think actually bending upwards the screen and since its very thin that is a major issue.

Maybe don't make the palm area out of ridiculously easy to scratch aluminum then, eh Apple? I'm sorry. I'm still bitter about the death of the 17" MBP.

Loved the iPad till I purchased the new mac book pro retina now I never use the iPad. What machine it is and man I would be pist if it got damaged from something as little as that!! WOW good info to know, thx for the post

@apple. Guys can you not make flimsy displays in the quest for slim macbook pros. I can live with a thick display vs a broken or mal-aligned paper-thin displays. Please.

Thanks

Thanks for typing just enough filler words so that you HAVE to click 'read more' to find out why rather than just read why from the main page.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by claustin View Post
    Maybe don't make the palm area out of ridiculously easy to scratch aluminum then, eh Apple? I'm sorry. I'm still bitter about the death of the 17" MBP.
    No issues here for over 6 months on a macbook air... don't wear chain armor when using your laptop?

omg I literally bought one off amazon 2 hours ago. TIME TO CANCEL!!

Oh for the love of... If Apple had a face I would punch it. This is what happens when you don't have a user-centric design philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by xwinger View Post
    thanks for typing just enough filler words so that you have to click 'read more' to find out why rather than just read why from the main page.

lol