+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Developers were Paid an Estimated $8 Million in Sales Last Year

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The creator of Cydia, Jay “Saurik” Freeman, unveiled some pretty astonishing statistics to the public today during his recent presentation at JailbreakCon. According to Saurik, Cydia developers were paid an
    Thanks

Default Cydia Developers were Paid an Estimated $8 Million in Sales Last Year

The creator of Cydia, Jay “Saurik” Freeman, unveiled some pretty astonishing statistics to the public today during his recent presentation at JailbreakCon. According to Saurik, Cydia developers were paid an estimated $8 million in sales last year. Although he claimed it was difficult for him to track the number of jailbroken iOS devices out in the public specifically, he does know that an average 1.5 million users open Cydia each day. With the popularity of iOS devices increasing, so is the popularity of jailbreaking as more and more people start to delve into the endeavor.

Freeman continued by quoting a Flurry Analytics study from 2010, where he described a trend of 6% - 12% of all iOS devices running Cydia at any given time. This is due to Cydia being typically installed by default for users to find tweaks, hacks, themes, and more for their iOS devices. One thing he mentioned was the rollercoaster tendencies in the amount of jailbroken devices throughout the year. This is due to a drought season that iOS devices and their respective software undergo between major iOS releases from Apple. When a new jailbreak such as the recent Absinthe 2.0 is released, the number of jailbroken iOS devices tends to lean towards the higher end of the spectrum (nearing 12%) while a major iOS release, such as iOS 6 causes that number to drop to the lower end of the spectrum (nearing 6%).

Although the number of jailbroken iOS devices remains a small fraction of the number of devices sold worldwide, it is quite impressive to see that $8 million was given to Cydia developers in the past year alone. This is extra surprising due to the fact that the community is often characterized by piracy and the number of users who actually pay for Cydia content tends to be a lot lower than the number of people actually using content from Cydia. Imagine how far ahead jailbreak tweaks, hacks, and themes would be if more people actually supported the cause by coughing up the price for content.

Source: Cult of Mac
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 10-01-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Its the otherway around!
    iOS devices became popular because of Jailbreak, without jailbreak ios devices are junk

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

One thing I will strongly advice is there should be an organized customer service center so that jailbreak fans will no longer fall victims of scams on the Internet while trying to get into the jailbreak trend.Customers will know where to turn to an be guaranteed of prompt reply and satisfactory info

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Glocknine View Post
    Its the otherway around!
    iOS devices became popular because of Jailbreak, without jailbreak ios devices are junk
    Spoken like an android fanboy if you ask me.
    Hmm...

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jj2345's Avatar
    Thanks

Its the otherway around!
    I agree 100%
    I think iOS is very boring without a jailbreak. I am finally getting my iPhone 5 this Monday and without a jailbreak I don't know how I'm gonna deal with a super fast iPhone with no cool tweaks and themes :-(

Green Apple
    Thanks
    90% of ios devices sold arent even jailbroken.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 09-30-2012 at 02:15 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Spoken like an android fanboy if you ask me.
    Maybe even blackberry! (Is there a term for blackberry fans yet...or should I say, are there any blackberry fans?)

Seriously though.. I wouldn't go as far as saying iOS devices are junk, just not as fun without a jailbreak

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

Its the otherway around!
    Well, you're right in one aspect but I wouldn't go as far as calling iOS devices junk. Boring...yes. Junk...no.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bassvictim's Avatar
    Thanks

And 95% of the community on this forum are jailbroken,or come here to learn how to jailbreak...so whats your point about the ones sold not being jailbroken? I think just about everyone on this forum would agree that the iOS is very boring -compared to what it's like once jailbroke and tweaked to your liking. Theming alone is worth jailbreaking, even if you don't want to get into messing with all the other endless tweaks available. I agree 100% with GlockNine,and I am the furthest thing from an Android"fanboy"...lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

The problem is that without a jailbreak, you wont be able to use your phone to it's fullest potential. Something like SB Settings should be a "must" on any iPhone. It works extremely well with the notification center. That's something that Apple should include by default. It solves a lot of problems with your phone with just one click. And all the tweaks and themes that you use, I really miss. Stuff like "User Agent Faker" (which I want to see the "real web" and not the mobile versions); iFile; and all the other good stuff I purchased from Cydia helps enhance your iPhone experience. It is worth every penny for all the useful apps from this wonderful resource.

Hopefully one day the developers can come up with a jailbreak for ios6. We have a very powerful phone in iPhone 5. Now let us use its potential to its fullest!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Good on them! Nice to see their efforts paying off. Now, to be loyal to its customer base and to keep their revenue coming they should all pull together in some way form or fashion to diligently work on ensuring JB soft is available soon after iOS/idevice launch. Perhaps charge a fee as well heck I know most would not mind paying for a JB. Tier the pricing: lifetime members, FW upgrades (free JB upgrades for iOS fw builds eg 6.0 6.1 etc and a small fee if it goes to 7 etc). Perhaps Cydia (jay) should add a hosting fee and use the revenue to fund an official JB Dev team department w/in Cydia.

Just a thought.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    a stock iphone is a horrible experience
    could you imagine if normal users had jailbroken phones and could have half the features they finally got a year earlier?

there is no way i could ever use stock apple anything. The month i had to wait on ipad2 was torture.

Banned
    Thanks

Its the otherway around!
    I agree 100%. I updated my iPad3 not knowing it couldn't be downgraded again or jailbroken (tethered like iPhone4) so I'm stuck without jailbreak.
    It's really crap. I do install a lot of the little tweaks and it shows how they are needed. Little things like NoSpot, Password Pilot and SwitcherCleaner. 3 background tweaks that do a lot to a really crappy IOS.
    There are even more that fullfill the IOS like IntelliscreenX and LockInfo or even SB Settings. Tonight I was trying to turn off Wireless and was swiping at the taskbar not remembering its not jailbroken so it wont turn up... I really miss the jailbreak iPad.

I don't care if its tethered as how many times do you really turn off the device? My iPad only gets turned off when I install a new firmware. And it never gets rebooted so I can tether boot it and have it jailbroken for months without any problems of it being tethered.

Without a jailbreak it looks like the amount of jailbroken devices will be down to 5% as there are some like me who didn't realise you cant downgrade again or didn't realise the tethered jailbreak doesn't work for your device.
    That also means a loss of income for the cydia devs.

Thanks

I should look up my receipts and see how much I have spent in Cydia over the years... At most I have spent $10 on the App store... On Cydia I would say at least a $100... I hope more Devs can make a decent income from their work... Thanks Jay for Cydia! Thank you hackers and tweakers for all these mods to my iPhone... I wouldn't even dream of updating my firmware till at least 90% of my installed Cydia stuff is compatible... I don't know how people use stock iPhones... Oh yeah and one more thing: I hope others that are using Cydia pay for their tweaks, mods and utilities too, it's worth it and the more we support the Devs the more they will support us... Aloha

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dready37 View Post
    One thing I will strongly advice is there should be an organized customer service center so that jailbreak fans will no longer fall victims of scams on the Internet while trying to get into the jailbreak trend.Customers will know where to turn to an be guaranteed of prompt reply and satisfactory info
    Saurik employs like 5 people. He is not a multinational company that can pay to have call centers everywhere.

Besides, don't you like getting an extra $30 resale value boost just for having jailbroken?

The people that fall for these scams are idiots and wouldn't use the phone service if there was one. It takes one quick google search to find out how to jailbreak.

Official SaurikIT Support
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dready37 View Post
    We have been maintaining JailbreakQA as a community-run question-and-answer forum with a detailed FAQ and accurate answers. It has a bunch of knowledgeable volunteers and help from me (SaurikIT employee helping with community and support), and if we get reports of very unusual new bugs in redsn0w or other tools and tweaks, we work with the developers to figure out what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    Saurik employs like 5 people. He is not a multinational company that can pay to have call centers everywhere.
    Approximately 3.5 people, if you count himself.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,869 Times in 6,032 Posts

Thank you Jay and your team. 8 Million bucks in sales, impressive. I know they have a lot of my money, and I will continue to support them.

Thanks

Just think apple must be looking at ways to either take this $8m or stop jailbreaking altogether!! I do agree slightly with the idea of a support network for jailbreaking! Ideally a dedicated site that jailbreaks will be published on that has all the info and community all in one place. As this would be a trusted site amongst the jailbreaking community they could take a small fee for each downloaded jailbreak and this could be collected and shared amongst the devs that created the jailbreak!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

It would be interesting to know the average paid to developers
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Cydia has made iDevices more worth getting.