Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple: 97% of Supply Chain Laborers Don't Work Excessive Hours

Thanks

Default Apple: 97% of Supply Chain Laborers Don't Work Excessive Hours

In a recent update to its Supplier Responsibility webpage, Apple quietly announced itís now tracking over 800,000 workers at supply chain factories in China and mentioned that 97% of those employees have 60-hour work weeks as mandated by that countryís laws. The number of 800,000 was first spotted by The Next Web and is a substantial increase from the 500,000 tracked workers reported in January. While the percentage of those working excessive hours was decreased over the intervening months, there has been no change in compliance since July.

Previously, in January, over 70,000 supply chain employees were working over 60 hours a week, though the number dropped quickly since then. The drop in numbers might possibly be a result to Appleís partnership with the Fair Labor Association in February. After checking the data, there were still over 24,000 Chinese laborers working what Apple considers excessive hours as of August, however compliance with labor rules appears to be rising slowly.

Both Apple and Foxconn are pushing hard to raise working standards, a process that continues to yield positive results, as Foxconn previously became the target of a mass media firestorm. The issue was regarding labor abuse allegations sparked by a story from monologuist Mike Daisey which aired on NPR previously. The story was found to be a fabrication at the end and Daisey was forced to apologize, prompting high-profile publications to issue retractions as well.

Hopefully the trend to minimize excessive hours and unfair labor continues so no more issues arise.

Source: Apple via The Next Web

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

60 hours not excessive?

Quote Originally Posted by Wicrowe View Post
    60 hours not excessive?
    Yes. I'm sure most of those employees work over 60 hours every week. Not only do they make little money but they get mistreated as well. By now we all know there's an issue at Foxconn, that place is hell.

Just because 60 hours a week is mandated law in China, it doesn't mean it's not abuse. A Foxconn Riot involving 2000 people should indicate that. Apple & Foxconn Need to man up already and admit that there's an issue. duh
    Last edited by hogcia; 09-29-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Here a 60 hour word round is for managers that only sit around giving orders all day, the reality is that because a 60 hour shift is regular for a minimum wage worker there, doesn't mean it's abusive, the fact is they can work those hours with no problems, no complains, we only think it's abuse because we are used to working less and getting more.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicrowe View Post
    60 hours not excessive?
    We should probably push American culture on them. They're waiting for the United States to come rescue them.

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Yes. I'm sure most of those employees work over 60 hours every week. Not only do they make little money but they get mistreated as well. By now we all know there's an issue at Foxconn, that place is hell.

Just because 60 hours a week is mandated law in China, it doesn't mean it's not abuse. A Foxconn Riot involving 2000 people should indicate that. Apple & Foxconn Need to man up already and admit that there's an issue. duh
    Apple already admits there's an issue by even posting this data in the first place. But the chances of some Foxconn executive saying, "Yes, we're a terribly abusive and underpaying corperation! We'll stop being terrible, we promise" is pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post

I agree with you. However i dont see why apple is for blame. Just cause foxconn manufactures doesnt mean its apples fault. Apple is simply a client. The only thing they are doing is giving them jobs (im not saying their jobs are great). Its not their responsibility nor their place to give actual rights to chinese citizens. I mean apple is a world power but they seriously are tiny compared to government let alone china. They have little power over the conditions chinese workers live in. Samsung and sony and microsoft all manufacture from china too and its not like their conditions are better or something. The fact so many people try to get jobs at foxconn shows that its better than most factories. They even said in the news casts that they have a much lower suicide rate compared to other factories. Sure thats terrible but the only reason any media acts like they give a damn is cause people will actually view it cause its apple. If samsung was as much of a powerhouse as apple (which they almost are) they would get the same crap and apple wouldnt get anything at all.

A 60 hr work week is pretty normal here in Australia. At least in the power industry. That's for a physical labor job not some office job. My typical work week is around 70 hrs and often longer. Of course I get paid well to do those stupid hours and that makes a big difference.

I hope all the working-class, union-hating republicans in the US realize that this is what life was like for working-class people in the US before unions, and will return to without them.

I'm not saying that union power is never abused, just like employer power is abused. I'm just saying that they have their place in helping balance the power struggle between employer and employee.

Think about the entities "donating" millions to the Republican Party, and then realize that businesses never outlay money unless they expect a return on that money. In this case their return is getting more power over employees by busting unions so they can pay less and work people harder while chanting, "stop complaining and realize you're lucky to even have a job!"

So are the Chinese employees being abused by an oppressive employer, or should they just shut up and be happy having a job at all? How do you want that to play out in the US?

60hrs is nothing. They live at the factory. I work way more with an hour commute. People fight to get these jobs. When will people just leave this alone. It's chinas business.