+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Patent Troll Sues Apple for Over Spreadsheet Intellectual Property

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Patent Troll Sues Apple for Over Spreadsheet Intellectual Property

Apple is being sued by a Texas-based “non-practicing entity” over the alleged patent infringement of Apple’s Numbers spreadsheet software.

The court filing Wednesday with the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, details the suit in which Data Engine Technologies LLC claims Apple’s Numbers application infringes on a 1995 patent for a "system and methods for improved spreadsheet interface with user-familiar objects.”

How this company isn’t suing Microsoft, IBM, and every other company with a data spreadsheet program is beyond me. The suit alleges Apple had prior knowledge of the patent No. 5,463,724. The patent shows the common spreadsheet graphical interface most Excel and Numbers users have come to recognize since forever.

Data Engine Technologies is seeking damages and an injunction against Apple’s offending products (Numbers). The only way DET’s will manage to squeeze any money out of Apple is if the two sides settle out of court. Or if Apple buys their company. Or lightning strikes Apple’s legal team during a Great White Shark attack on a leap year.

Source: AppleInsider

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

Windows 3.1 FTW.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

How dare they! Apple would never just sue the most lucrative alleged patent offender...

Thanks

Can't see this one standing up!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'm amazed they haven't gone after Microsoft first. Assuming that's what their product looks like, I would go ahead and say that Microsoft completely just copied their product.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blind56 View Post
    I'm amazed they haven't gone after Microsoft first. Assuming that's what their product looks like, I would go ahead and say that Microsoft completely just copied their product.
    Only thing is this company does not even have a product. If they settle with Apple, they will go after Microsoft.

Banned
    Thanks

First you call the company a patent troll.
    then you ask why they're not suing everyone else.

you know, most of us say the same thing about apple. a rectangle with rounded corners? really?!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah, I don't think so. This goes back farther the Apple OR Microsoft.
    Anyone remember business software called dBASE from the late 70s?
    Ran on mainframes at most university computer labs.
    Even though DET has a patent, they could open up a door that should stay closed.
    Last edited by HeliPilot; 09-29-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 667 Posts

This company has no idea what there going to get themselves into going to court. This company better have some class A lawyers and bring their A game to court! Lmao ;-p

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    First you call the company a patent troll.
    then you ask why they're not suing everyone else.

you know, most of us say the same thing about apple. a rectangle with rounded corners? really?!
    Amen...I think Apple is the patent troll. I hope Tim Cook drives (continues to drive maybe?) Apple into the ground.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaStA819 View Post
    Amen...I think Apple is the patent troll. I hope Tim Cook drives (continues to drive maybe?) Apple into the ground.
    Do you even know what a patent troll is? I don't think so from the way you talk and think! LMAO

Google it!!!!

Patent troll is a pejorative term used for a person or company who enforces patents against one or more alleged infringers in a manner considered aggressive or opportunistic with no intention to manufacture or market the patented invention.

SO in other words, they only deal in paperwork patents with without having any intentions of making a product using said patents!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The thing is microsoft probably liscensed those patents. Apple however i think could get sued and it would really be nothing. I really dont think apple deserves to get away with this because of how hypocritical it is even if the company suing is being biased or patent trolling. its just karma but its not nearly the amount of karma apple deserves for constantly bickering with samsung.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    The thing is microsoft probably liscensed those patents. Apple however i think could get sued and it would really be nothing. I really dont think apple deserves to get away with this because of how hypocritical it is even if the company suing is being biased or patent trolling. its just karma but its not nearly the amount of karma apple deserves for constantly bickering with samsung.
    Well the other thing too is we don't have all the facts of this story. This is like 10-20% of it! just as with all the other news on here and every other site.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

They are patent trolls?!?

I almost pissed on myself laughing at the hypocrisy of that statement.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

"Non-practicing entity" almost always means tax shelter. But lately it's other persona has become popular: patent troll.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
    They are patent trolls?!?

I almost pissed on myself laughing at the hypocrisy of that statement.
    You obviously don't know what patent trolls are. They are businesses that solely create/but patents to sue/license to companies. They don't make any products or anything.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    You obviously don't know what patent trolls are. They are businesses that solely create/but patents to sue/license to companies. They don't make any products or anything.
    Or they create them to be able to sell to companies, just like people buy web domains to sell. Either way they own the patent and you can call them what they want. At least they weren't patenting rectangles and colors.