Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sony Causing Hold Up with Apple's New Streaming Music Service

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Sony Causing Hold Up with Apple's New Streaming Music Service

For months, rumors have persisted that Apple is planning to launch its own Pandora-style streaming music platform. So what's the delay all about, you ask? It may boil down to just one culprit - Sony.

According to the New York Post, Apple continues to struggle in reaching a royalty-structure agreement with Sony. Once reached, the final hurdle will be jumped and Apple can proceed as planned with the still-unconfirmed but widely expected service.

Those rights are usually tenths of a penny per stream, sources said. Sony/ATV was looking for a higher rate.
    Sony is important to the process, however, because it administers some two million copyrights that include tunes from Taylor Swift and One Direction to The Beach Boys and The Beatles.

"While Pandora serves up songs based on algorithms, Apple's talks with the labels involves an element of promotion based on what music labels are pushing in any one month, sources said," the Post reported.

Source: Sony

Sony and apple working together ? This i like. scratch that. I love.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrinfame View Post
    Uh this article fails to prove they are working together. If anything it shows Sony is trying to delay the new radio. Apple is only working with them because they own copy rights for tons of artists. Sony has always tried to compete with apples music services and this just comes across as a desperate move in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Mrinfame View Post
    It's the complete opposite to that it's Apple (trying to) work with Sony and Sony saying you don't pay as enough and then Apple will pay them more and before you know it Apple will have another iBookStore style law suite with people suing them over allegedly fixing the market in their favor to steal as much money out of people as they possibly can. When in reality since these companies (and other big names in the music industry it's not just Sony) won't agree prices with Apple which then leads to us the consumers paying a fortune just for an EP with a few songs on it...

Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    It's the complete opposite to that it's Apple (trying to) work with Sony and Sony saying you don't pay as enough and then Apple will pay them more and before you know it Apple will have another iBookStore style law suite with people suing them over allegedly fixing the market in their favor to steal as much money out of people as they possibly can. When in reality since these companies (and other big names in the music industry it's not just Sony) won't agree prices with Apple which then leads to us the consumers paying a fortune just for an EP with a few songs on it...

Dude, are you drunk? You have absolutely no clue what's going on.

Streaming service = fixed amount.