Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Apple Had Over a Year Left on Maps Contract with Google

Thanks

Default Report: Apple Had Over a Year Left on Maps Contract with Google

Among the widespread complaints over Apple’s new iOS 6 Maps app which ended up replacing the Google-powered application that had shipped on iOS devices since the iPhone debuted in 2007, some observers were wondering how much of the shift was due to Apple’s desire to rely less on Google and how much was due to other factors. To be more specific there has been some speculation that demands by Google could also have played a role in Apple’s decision, with the suggestion being that Apple may have been forced to roll out its own mapping solution a bit sooner than it planned for if its contract with Google had been running out.

According to The Verge the speculation is unfounded with Apple and Google having had over a year left on their contract for Google’s Maps app. If they wanted to, Apple could presumably have continued using Google’s app in iOS 6 as it worked to improve its own mapping product for a launch with iOS 7 next year. The following was mentioned on The Verge:

For its part, Apple apparently felt that the older Google Maps-powered Maps in iOS were falling behind Android — particularly since they didn't have access to turn-by-turn navigation, which Google has shipped on Android phones for several years. The Wall Street Journal reported in June that Google also wanted more prominent branding and the ability to add features like Latitude, and executives at the search giant were unhappy with Apple's renewal terms. But the existing deal between the two companies was still valid and didn't have any additional requirements, according to our sources — Apple decided to simply end it and ship the new maps with turn-by-turn.
    The Cupertino California company’s decision caught Google off-guard as Google is reportedly still several months away from having a standalone maps app ready for submission to the App Store. In the meantime, iOS developer Ryan Petrich has found a way to make the Google Maps app available on iOS 6 and presumably working on ironing out some issues with the port. Of course you’ll have to be jailbroken to access this if and when it is released, which is something many consumers are waiting for.

Source: The Verge

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

I like the look and feel of the app - very well polished. But I would really like transit schedules, routes, and times just like in google maps. This and SBSettings are the two reasons I have not updated.

"The Cupertino California company’s decision caught Google off-guard as Google is reportedly still several months away from having a standalone maps app ready for submission to the App Store."

Google's Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt denied the claim - but refused to rule out launching an app in the future.

Google has no immediate plans to create an iPhone app to replace its dumped Maps app, the search giant claimed today.

It had been reported that Google has already submitted an app.

However, Google's Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt denied the claim - but refused to rule out launching an app in the future.

Eric Schmidt, executive chairman of Google, launches the Nexus 7 tablet in Japan, telling reporters the firm had not submitted an iPhone maps app.

Apple launched its own mapping service earlier this month when it began providing the highly anticipated update to its mobile software platform iOS 6 and started selling the iPhone 5.

But users have complained that Apple's new map service, based on Dutch navigation equipment and digital map maker TomTom NV's data, contains glaring geographical errors and lacks features that made Google Maps so popular.

'We think it would have been better if they had kept ours,' Schmidt told a small group of reporters in Tokyo.

'But what do I know?'

'What were we going to do, force them not to change their mind? It's their call.'

Schmidt said Google and Apple were in constant communication 'at all kinds of levels.'

But he said any decision on whether Google Maps would be accepted as an application in the Apple App Store would have to be made by Apple.

'We have not done anything yet,' he said.

Google and Apple were close partners with the original iPhone in 2007 and its inclusion of YouTube and Google Maps.

But the ties between the two have been strained by the rise of Google's Android mobile operating system, now the world's leading platform for smartphones.

Schmidt said he hoped Google would remain Apple's search partner on the iPhone but said that question was up to Apple.

'I'm not doing any predictions. We want them to be our partner.

'We welcome that. I'm not going to speculate at all what they're going to do.

'They can answer that question as they see fit,' he said.

Google provides Android free of charge and allows developers to add applications on an open basis, betting that by cultivating a bigger pool of users - now at over 500 million globally - it can make more money by providing search functions and selling advertising.

'Apple is the exception, and the Android system is the common model, which is why our market share is so much higher,' Schmidt said, adding that success was often ignored by the media, which he said was 'obsessed with Apple's marketing events and Apple's branding.

'That's great for Apple but the numbers are on our side," he said.

At one point, Schmidt, who was in Japan to announce the launch of Google's Nexus tablet here, used the device to show off a new function of Google Maps.

The feature allows users to shift their view of an area by moving the device in the air without touching the screen, similar to the effect of looking around.

'Take that Apple,' he said, adding quickly, 'That was a joke by the way.'

Read more: Google denies iPhone map app plans (but tells Apple 'take that' as it unveils new features for Android tablets) | Mail Online

With that said, it would be a great idea to have Google submit a independant app for Maps. What would be good for Apple would be to do the same with their own map solution and update often, and not just when a new IOS is released. This would make better sense. This is the one thing Google Maps has the advantage on Android they update their maps frequently!

Google has no immediate plans to create an iPhone app to replace its dumped Maps app, the search giant claimed today.

However, Google's Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt denied the claim - but refused to rule out launching an app in the future.

Eric Schmidt, executive chairman of Google, launches the Nexus 7 tablet in Japan, telling reporters the firm had not submitted an iPhone maps app.

Apple launched its own mapping service earlier this month when it began providing the highly anticipated update to its mobile software platform iOS 6 and started selling the iPhone 5.

But users have complained that Apple's new map service, based on Dutch navigation equipment and digital map maker TomTom NV's data, contains glaring geographical errors and lacks features that made Google Maps so popular.

'We think it would have been better if they had kept ours,' Schmidt told a small group of reporters in Tokyo.

'But what do I know?'

'What were we going to do, force them not to change their mind? It's their call.'

More...
    Revealed: How Apple dumped Google Maps because it was scared of Android... but now faces user backlash over new software's dodgy directions and melting bridges
    iSellout: Apple fans buy 5 MILLION iPhones in three days (just don't mention the maps)

Schmidt said Google and Apple were in constant communication 'at all kinds of levels.'

But he said any decision on whether Google Maps would be accepted as an application in the Apple App Store would have to be made by Apple.

'We have not done anything yet,' he said.

Google and Apple were close partners with the original iPhone in 2007 and its inclusion of YouTube and Google Maps.

But the ties between the two have been strained by the rise of Google's Android mobile operating system, now the world's leading platform for smartphones.

The Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol as it appears in Apple's maps. The firm has come under fire for some of its 3D photography which has distorted buildings.

Schmidt said he hoped Google would remain Apple's search partner on the iPhone but said that question was up to Apple.

'I'm not doing any predictions. We want them to be our partner.

'We welcome that. I'm not going to speculate at all what they're going to do.

'They can answer that question as they see fit,' he said.

Google provides Android free of charge and allows developers to add applications on an open basis, betting that by cultivating a bigger pool of users - now at over 500 million globally - it can make more money by providing search functions and selling advertising.

'Apple is the exception, and the Android system is the common model, which is why our market share is so much higher,' Schmidt said, adding that success was often ignored by the media, which he said was 'obsessed with Apple's marketing events and Apple's branding.

'That's great for Apple but the numbers are on our side," he said.

At one point, Schmidt, who was in Japan to announce the launch of Google's Nexus tablet here, used the device to show off a new function of Google Maps.

The feature allows users to shift their view of an area by moving the device in the air without touching the screen, similar to the effect of looking around.

'Take that Apple,' he said, adding quickly, 'That was a joke by the way.'

Read more: Google denies iPhone map app plans (but tells Apple 'take that' as it unveils new features for Android tablets) | Mail Online

It would be better to have a separate map app. This way it is updated more frequently whether it be a Google Mapp or Apple's own Map. This is one thing I liked about Android is the Google maps were updated regularly!

It would be better to have a separate Map application and update it often and not just when a new iOS is being released. Be it a Google or Apple map it is best to separate and update it often.
    Last edited by sobeniceguy2; 09-25-2012 at 11:03 PM.

I really like the new maps and have had no issues with them. However, I have no need of public transit which is a fair complaint.

It kind of sucks because Apple really can't win in the court of public opinion on this one. If they kept the old maps they would have been railed against because they still wouldn't have turn-by-turn and the Android crowd would have a heyday. "Android has had turn-by-turn for years!" But launching their own maps brings the obvious comparisons to Google's much more mature maps service and people feel obligated to find every area in which Apple's offering doesn't stack up. I think Apple made the right choice and their maps will continue to improve until we don't miss Google maps on our phones. Does everyone remember the day that Google launched their maps? I remember thinking, "This is dumb! We already have MapQuest! Why do we need another map service?" There's always room for more competition.

For those of you out there that think Apple made a dumb decision, what do you think would be a better one? And don't just spout the "they should have kept Google's maps" line unless you can happily say that you don't care about turn-by-turn.

I never heard anyone say, my iphone sucks because it has no turn by turn navigation, or an android fanboy say, I can't believe the iphone still doesn't have turn by turn navigation.

Apple could easily have waited another year. Nobody is clamoring for turn by turn directions on the google maps app for the iphone. There are plenty of alternatives for that.