Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Details Emerge on Foxconn Riot

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default New Details Emerge on Foxconn Riot

Late Sunday, news broke that a massive riot took place inside the Asian Foxconn facility where much of the new iPhone 5 production is taking place.

Initial reports indicated that as many as 2,000 individuals may have been involved in the skirmish, which quickly turned violent and grew into an out-of-control scene of utter choas. According to Reuters, things got so out of hand that the entire plant had to be shut down.

Within minutes of the riot's outbreak, police in riot-gear stormed the facility in hopes of quelling the imbroglio. The first wave of reports, however, did not indicate what triggered the riot.

As of this writing, it isn't clear if and how iPhone 5 production will be impacted.

Some employees and people posting messages online accused factory guards of provoking the trouble by beating up workers at the factory, which employs about 79,000 people and is owned by the world's largest contract maker of electronic goods.
    "The fight is over now ... we're still investigating the cause of the fight and the number of people involved," Foxconn spokesman Louis Woo says.

Source: Reuters

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Mod edit. comments removed.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 09-24-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post

Late Sunday, news broke that a massive riot took place inside the Asian Foxconn facility where much of the new iPhone 5 production is taking place.

Initial reports indicated that as many as 2,000 individuals may have been involved in the skirmish, which quickly turned violent and grew into an out-of-control scene of utter choas. According to Reuters, things got so out of hand that the entire plant had to be shut down.

Within minutes of the riot's outbreak, police in riot-gear stormed the facility in hopes of quelling the imbroglio. The first wave of reports, however, did not indicate what triggered the riot.

As of this writing, it isn't clear if and how iPhone 5 production will be impacted.

"The fight is over now ... we're still investigating the cause of the fight and the number of people involved," Foxconn spokesman Louis Woo says.

Source: Reuters
    well those guys they really work hard and fast to the point that they are into the miniac song And then theres this guys with the mind of hitting some body!!!! I will be mad if some body tell me that im slow!!!!! Oh no body..... is own!!!!

no babies were harmed in the production of my android phone.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

It's so sad.... Fighting does not get you any where but sorrow. Hope no one got hurt.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow hope nobody got seriously injured. Foxconn sounds like a horrible place to work.
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Yeah because that's the thing that matters! You'd really want to get your priorities checked Michael.

100s of people rioting, and potentially people injured but please let the precious iPhone be ok.
    If you really are placing a phone ahead of people's well being then you're in a sad state of affairs.
    If your concern is for the conditions of Chinese laborers I'm sure there's another site for you. But on a site dedicated to iPhone news, the very mention of the phone is the reason why this is pertinent news.

Quote Originally Posted by caniac61906 View Post
    If your concern is for the conditions of Chinese laborers I'm sure there's another site for you. But on a site dedicated to iPhone news, the very mention of the phone is the reason why this is pertinent news.
    WTF? Forget what nationality it is. The fact that human beings could have possibly been injured or even worse killed. Screw the damn iPhone. Nothing in this world is worth someone's well being. Yes the fact that this factory makes idevices is why it is posted here. If you are more concerned about iPhone production, than over someone being hurt. You are a worthless individual.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

10 were killed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If there was a riot in my factory i would never go back. That's the difference between the US and Asia. If there were security guards at my job i would quit and move lol.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Yeah because that's the thing that matters! You'd really want to get your priorities checked Michael.

100s of people rioting, and potentially people injured but please let the precious iPhone be ok.
    If you really are placing a phone ahead of people's well being then you're in a sad state of affairs.
    You're pissing all over Michael because he is reporting the news and merely mentions pertinent info in line with his audiences interest and how it might affect them directly. Get off your pedestal. SMH.

Where in this article does the writer "place a phone ahead of people's well being"

Nice attempt at trolling though. Actually, wasn't even a good attempt at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    WTF? Forget what nationality it is. The fact that human beings could have possibly been injured or even worse killed. Screw the damn iPhone. Nothing in this world is worth someone's well being. Yes the fact that this factory makes idevices is why it is posted here. If you are more concerned about iPhone production, than over someone being hurt. You are a worthless individual.
    You should look up the meaning of context.
    Last edited by blwallace5; 09-24-2012 at 04:01 PM.

dont put words in his mouth. This is an apple forum that's why he mentioned it! Just cause people in the news room on tv report on a wild fire before a mass murder doesn't mean they care more about a fire than people being murdered! Or if someone in the news tv says that the Iraq war may effect oil prices doesn't mean that's what they prioritize as first.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Your response is emotionally misguided. The fact of the matter is this is a site dedicated to iProducts. There are several travisties that happen in the world that aren't posts on this site because they have nothing to do with iProducts at all. Therefore, you should expect some mention of the products this site is dedicated to.

No one said they didn't care about the well being of the workers. But I will say this. The entire article aside from 1 sentence mentioned the iPhone's production. What I gather from that is you and the person who questioned that sentence, just wanted something to be bothered about.

Don't be an idiot. He never put the iPhone ahead of people, he is just bringing us information, that's all.

Default Are you serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
    wtf? Forget what nationality it is. The fact that human beings could have possibly been injured or even worse killed. Screw the damn iphone. Nothing in this world is worth someone's well being. Yes the fact that this factory makes idevices is why it is posted here. If you are more concerned about iphone production, than over someone being hurt. You are a worthless individual.
    Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986
    yeah because that's the thing that matters! You'd really want to get your priorities checked michael.

100s of people rioting, and potentially people injured but please let the precious iphone be ok.
    Are both of you serious? You honestly think that because he didn't mention exactly how many people were injured or killed or because he didn't go into some sort of speech about how violence is bad, that he doesn't care about people?

I happen to know Michael personally. I have to say, he is the nicest person I have ever met. He would never think ill of anyone or disregard people being hurt. The article was a small one and mentions that many were involved and that the riot was violent. One sentence about iPhone 5 production being affected was in the article.

You people really need to look in the mirror. You bash Michael for being "more concerned about iPhone production", when this claim is unprecedented, while yourself claiming he is a "worthless individual." It is you people who are the worthless individuals...

It was not a riot, but the fight among workers regarding something else, not the factory itself or working conditions .. Since there is 79.000 employes in that particular factory and almost all of them sleeping there it is not unusual to fight from time to time ..

I didn't bash anyone. I didn't call Michael "worthless individual" I replied to caniac61906, his Chinese labor comment. Was not needed.

Default My apologies
    I didn't bash anyone. I didn't call Michael "worthless individual" I replied to caniac61906, his Chinese labor comment. Was not needed.
    My apologies. I thought you were saying that about Michael. It seemed like a whole bunch of people started putting words in his mouth and bashing him. It's just an article about what happened. That's why I replied. People took it too seriously.
    Last edited by SRPrentice; 09-25-2012 at 12:00 AM.

No, he was defending an article that was unjustly attacked. It is not his fault you do not understand the context of his comment. In no way was he bashing the workers of the Foxconn factory. You on the other hand, did bash him by calling him a worthless individual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast