+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Compared: Parallels 8 Better Than VMWare Fusion 5

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Compared: Parallels 8 Better Than VMWare Fusion 5

The folks over at Ars Technica recently put Parallels 8 against VMWare Fusion this week and found that there isnít much of a contest between the two virtualization software programs. In seemingly every category that was tested, Parallels 8 outdid VMware. In fact, Parallels 8 not only did provided better performance but also adds full support for Retina displays and dictation among other features that VMware did not include.

The overview to take away from the comparison for those of you who might be interested:

Neither Parallels Desktop 8 or VMWare Fusion 5 are loaded to the gills with new features, so the PD8 update from version 7 is only a must-have if you are looking for Windows 8 or retina MacBook support in Windows 7 or 8. If you need retina support, this is your best option since Parallels did the extra work and made it a better retina experience than in VMWare Fusion 5. The Mountain Lion dictation and experimental DirectX 10 support show that, while Parallels tends to have more frequent paid updates and a higher price-tag, they try to earn the extra value with well thought out features and engineering. Apart from the bugs I saw in Mountain Lion 8, I think Parallels Desktop 8 earns that extra cost with its solid performance, far superior Linux OpenGL support, and existing feature set. But if your needs are more big-business-oriented, VMWare Fusion 5 Pro might be more your thing.
    For those of you who are in the market, you can download Parallels 8 for $79 or if you are into cross platform installations or have legacy VMware images, than you can get VMware starting at $49.

Source: Ars Technica

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

If you already own a Parallels 7 license or a VMWare license, you can upgrade to Parallels 8 for $49 as well.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Just got Parallels 8 with student discount for $39. Amazing piece of work, it flawlessly accepted my boot camp partition that I've been using for various Windows software. Now I don't have to switch between Mac and Windows constantly. Loving it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    If you already own a Parallels 7 license or a VMWare license, you can upgrade to Parallels 8 for $49 as well.
    Thats right!!!! My friend

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post
    In seemingly every category that was tested, Parallels 8 outdid VMware.
    Hmm, you do realize that the only test that Fusion lost is on file copy speed? Given, by a long shot, but it outpaced Parallels in all actual hardware virtualization benchmarks...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Even if VMWare Fusion was better in every test, I would still recommend Parallels. Better customer service, competitive pricing ... they seem to want your business. Every interaction with VMWare has left me feeling like they don't care one bit.