Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Ask for Another $707 Million in Damages from Samsung in Court

Thanks

Default Apple to Ask for Another $707 Million in Damages from Samsung in Court

Apple recently asked the court for another $707 million in damages in addition to the $1.05 billion Apple was awarded by the jury for Samsung’s patent infringement. Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents recently summarized the request which was revealed in a filing. Apple has requested enhancements, supplemental damages from prejudgment interest with the company asking the court for a total of $1.756 billion from Samsung.

Here, the additional $707,061,678 comes from an extra $135 million Apple seeks under the Patent Act, $400 million under the Lanham Act, $212 million to in supplemental damages, and $50 million in prejudgment interest. The filing means that a previous report from the folks over at Korea, claiming that Apple would seek an even larger sum from Samsung was inaccurate. Mueller said this is because Apple recognizes only some parts of the $1.05 billion in damages when it was awarded by a jury subject to enhancement. Mueller said the following about Apple:

Apple is smart enough to know that asking for the moon without a legal basis wouldn't do any good, neither in the court of law nor in the court of public opinion. Apple is defending its intellectual property, and not just being greedy.
    The Cupertino California company has argued for the supplemental damages based on sales of Samsung devices between July 1 and the final resolution in court. The jury’s damages were for the period through June 30, 2012. Apple also believes that the payout should be increased because of Samsung’s conduct, including sanctions that were given to the company for litigation-related conduct. We’ll have to wait and see if Apple’s demands will be met in court.

Source: FOSS Patents
    Last edited by blkcadi; 09-23-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Couldn't it be argued that Apple hasn't suffered any damages as a result of Samsung? Apples share price continues to soar, their devices continue to set sales records so one could argue they haven't experience negative effects of alleged infringement.

Sales a Samsung device does not equate to the loss of a sale for an Apple device. Similar to a piracy download doesn't equal the loss of a legitimate sale.

But then I suppose you could counter argue that if there was no infringement Apples share price would be even higher, etc.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 09-23-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

Who's going to take the bait and point out the glaring mistake in the title?

^^ Article says 707 title says 7.07

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post

But then I suppose you could counter argue that if there was no infringement Apples share price would be even higher, etc.
    This is generally what they are arguing. That and design damages that can now never go away on consumer view

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trek-life View Post
    This is generally what they are arguing. That and design damages that can now never go away on consumer view
    Could we launch a class-action law suit against Apple and claim that Apple are implying that consumers are stupid and can't tell the difference between Apple and Samsung products? I don't like being slandered Apple

Mistakes are pretty common here. I've come to expect them. It's like no one bothers to proof read these articles lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by idkanymore View Post
    Mistakes are pretty common here. I've come to expect them. It's like no one bothers to proof read these articles lol
    Probably because Akshay gets paid so much to write these articles that he can no longer see the difference between 7 million and 7 hundred million.

Banned
    Thanks

Couldn't it be argued that Apple hasn't suffered any damages as a result of Samsung? Apples share price continues to soar, their devices continue to set sales records so one could argue they haven't experience negative effects of alleged infringement.

Sales a Samsung device does not equate to the loss of a sale for an Apple device. Similar to a piracy download doesn't equal the loss of a legitimate sale.

EXACTLY. But the reason for the lower Apple share price is the constant attack on Samsung. People don't like the way Apple do business and thats just punishing Apple more than Samsung have ever done. And the fact the iDevice are always of a lower quality to the competition.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    EXACTLY. But the reason for the lower Apple share price is the constant attack on Samsung. People don't like the way Apple do business and thats just punishing Apple more than Samsung have ever done. And the fact the iDevice are always of a lower quality to the competition.
    What? lol The share price hasn't dropped in months. What are you talking about?

Could we launch a class-action law suit against Apple and claim that Apple are implying that consumers are stupid and can't tell the difference between Apple and Samsung products? I don't like being slandered Apple
    HAHA!!! That would be awesome! The way the justice system works in class action, if we all provided random proof of psych damage and stress we might just win.

Quote Originally Posted by trek-life View Post
    HAHA!!! That would be awesome! The way the justice system works in class action, if we all provided random proof of psych damage and stress we might just win.
    Let's all do it! Screw fapple!

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    Let's all do it! Screw fapple!
    Where do I sign up?

Quote Originally Posted by mrtransistor View Post
    Where do I sign up?
    None of us are better than apple then...

Give money!!!!!!!!

but then again ads in general imply that consumers are dumb and need new technology to do basic tasks haha

Jesus. They are just raking money it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Um, just a small point here... When a judge held up the iPad and the galaxy over his head, samsung lawyers couldn't tell the difference...

Also, Samsung's main point in court so far (when it comes down to the closing arguments) has been that their devices suck because they don't infringe on patents...

Maybe Samsung could hire you as their lawyer, you could prove the old legal team incompetent, reopen the German case, and get the galaxy reinstated in half of Europe! Then again, maybe not.

Thanks

Apple, grow up. ok. U git what u wanted and you have enough money. I dont see y u want more now. Unless u plan to give it to me...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by izzy1990 View Post
    ^^ Article says 707 title says 7.07
    Fixed! Thanks for pointing it out.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    And the fact the iDevice are always of a lower quality to the competition.
    Because plastic is so much more higher quality than aluminum and glass?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    Um, just a small point here... When a judge held up the iPad and the galaxy over his head, samsung lawyers couldn't tell the difference...

Also, Samsung's main point in court so far (when it comes down to the closing arguments) has been that their devices suck because they don't infringe on patents...

Maybe Samsung could hire you as their lawyer, you could prove the old legal team incompetent, reopen the German case, and get the galaxy reinstated in half of Europe! Then again, maybe not.
    Sorry Captain Serious, didn't know we aren't allowed to make jokes.
    Btw, the Galaxy S3 was not included in any bans, and it would also seem that Ireland, UK, Spain, France, Italy and even Germany are not abiding by any bans, because you can still purchase brand new Galaxy S2, Galaxy Ace, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Y, Galaxy Mini, Galaxy Beam, and Galaxy S3 in all those countries and probably in more too, I just didn't look up every EU country. So that ban seems to be working wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    It's not, and aluminium and glass does not automatically mean higher quality than plastic either. You can have ****** and good variants of all three materials. I don't understand why people play the "aluminium and glass" card as if it means the device is made with soem wondrous material.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 09-23-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default thats right my friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast