+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Office 2013 Pricing Announced

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Microsoft Office 2013 Pricing Announced

If you use the Mac or PC for productivity tools, we’re pretty sure you’ve come across Microsoft Office at some point. Microsoft recently announced that they will be selling Office 2013 as both a subscription service as well as selling boxed copies. What we know so far is that the company is pushing the subscription service far more. Yearly pricing for Office 2013 starts at $99 per year for five macs or PCs in a home setting or can go up to $139 per user in a small business setting. If you decide to go with a business plan, each user can activate up to five computers on his or her account.

For the price point, many are wondering what the plan includes and are shocked to find out the answer is: quite a bit.
    The subscription based version of Office 2013, which goes by the name “Office 365 Home Premium” not only comes with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher, and Access, but also allows users to get 60 minutes of Skype credit per month as well as 20GB of SkyDrive service. Other notable features include the ability to stream Office 2013 apps to both Windows 7 and 8 computers. Small business users on the other hand get all of the apps mentioned before as well as Lync and InfoPath. While they won’t be receiving 20GB of SkyDrive or Skype credit, they will be getting their hands on a new HD video-conference app that is in the works as well as a shared calendar and a 25 GB email inbox.

As expected, Office 2013 will also be available in a traditional boxed copy and if you’d like to pay for Office in full, you can purchase a Home edition for $139, a Home and Office edition for $219, or Office 2013 Professional for $399. The Home edition offers Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote. The Home and Office edition adds Outlook, and the Professional version opens up Publisher and Access as well.

The folks over at The Verge made a list that shows the different features of the subscription plans as well as the standard off-the-shelf packages. You can check it out below:

Source: The Verge

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Price points just seem far too high for today's markets!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah.....I'm gonna go outside and smoke my crack pipe, come back in, re-read the article and try to comprehend why this is good for the consumer.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Sure I'll pay $99 a year for spreadsheets and Word documents .. NOT. mod edit/
    Last edited by blkcadi; 09-18-2012 at 08:35 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

as an IT professional, small businesses, as much as they don't want to, they're still coughing up $300+ for the office suite as if it's a drop in a bucket

i do agree that it's getting more and more expensive though

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

I use OpenOffice. Works perfect for me plus it opens word files.

My iPhone is a Part of Me exNavy's Avatar
    Thanks

I switched to Pages some time ago and I don't miss word at all. I don't need these outrageous annual update prices and bloat.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so to go from home and student to home and office its an 80 dollar difference. to check e mail? wow what a rip off. i like outlook, but not at that price.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Venom1234's Avatar
    Thanks

mod edit/
    Last edited by blkcadi; 09-18-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Thanks

sooo are they planning to update Office yearly now, instead of every 3 years? If not, how in the heck is $150/user/year better than $220/machine every 3 years?

We used Office 2010 H&B on most machines in my office. Given that MS has only come out with new versions every 3 years, $220 per machine is certainly a drop in the bucket if the machine will be used 3 years or more.

We use subscription service for our architectural design software, but that's because there's a new version every year and it makes sense to upgrade every year.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    Price points just seem far too high for today's markets!
    Let's use the iOS app pricing model. 99 cents! Woo hoo!

Thanks

I thought the entire idea of "the cloud" was to benefit end users by driving prices down... Yet it seems to be something to just make you pay MORE by subscribing... If they had a new version of office every year, THEN it might make sense to pay $99 on a yearly basis and every year you get a new version at the same price... But to wait 3+ years for anything "new" and pay $99... F*&^ that!
    Last edited by blkcadi; 09-18-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,176 Times in 5,680 Posts

Please refrain from posting comments about pirating/warez and/or the site names.

Thanks

Or I can get a free, licensed, copy from work. Or can I use the employee, discounted, purchase offer. Big whoop.
    I'm still waiting for Office for iOS. Or a better set of office apps from Apple or someone else.