+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OS X 10.8.2 Reported to Restore MacBook Battery Life to OS X Lion Levels

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default OS X 10.8.2 Reported to Restore MacBook Battery Life to OS X Lion Levels

It was previously reported that many users noticed a significant decrease in battery life on their notebooks after upgrading from OS X Lion to OS X Mountain Lion. Apple had been working on the fix and with OS X 10.8.2, which is currently in beta as OS X 10.8.1 did not resolve the issue for everyone. The folks over at The Mac Observer ran a study that shows that the testing build of OS X 10.8.2 completely restores battery life to OS X Lion levels, yielding approximately 390 minutes of power under the testing protocols, compared to the 260-275 minutes under OS 10.8.0 and 280-300 minutes under OS X 10.8.1. They had the following to say:

Just as we saw in our previous tests, the upgrade to 10.8 Mountain Lion decreased battery life significantly, by about 1 hour and 45 minutes, or 30 percent. The upgrade to 10.8.1 restored about 30 minutes of battery life for our MacBook Pro, an improvement for sure, but not nearly enough to regain lost ground.

The big change came with 10.8.2, which is still undergoing developer testing. Using the latest build, 12C35, we saw a tremendous increase in battery life, to the point where running time was a few minutes longer than even that of 10.6.8.
    You can find the results from their study below:

The study also shows that users experienced a similar but smaller effect on battery life with the introduction of OS X Lion, an issue that was not fully resolved until the release of OS X 10.7.3 over six months after the public debut of OS X Lion. It should be mentioned that not all notebook users experienced significant battery life reductions under OS X Mountain Lion, therefore it hasnít been identified what is causing the issue in the first place. For those of you who did experience issues though, it seems like 10.8.2 may resolve what youíve been going through.

Source: The Mac Observer

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

mine seems 100% better since the last update

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 Times in 4,206 Posts

Ya agree it's not 100% percent better. But last long since the update.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Wait a min, i thought that SSD took less energy?

Thanks

Now if they could just fix the trackpads on the airs.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    Wait a min, i thought that SSD took less energy?
    No one is talking about SSD's here! Maybe you are thinking of the new Macbook Pro with Retina display? THAT is NOT what is being compared here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dranon View Post
    No one is talking about SSD's here! Maybe you are thinking of the new Macbook Pro with Retina display? THAT is NOT what is being compared here.
    The graph shows that the SSDs have a consistently shorter (although not drastic) battery life compared to their HDD counterparts running the same OS. I believe THAT is what he/she was referring to.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Take Another Look
    Quote Originally Posted by Dranon View Post
    Um, battery life is what is being talked about here, which is highly dependent on the HDD. The illustration presented compares SSD life with traditional platter drive life. His question echoed mine- why is battery life with SSD shorter than with a traditional drive?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My battery life seems okay. However, since upgrading to 10.8.2, anytime the battery reaches zero I have problems. The computer starts overheating, multi touch trackpad functions stop working, and the battery loses 1-2% a minute. Restarting the computer once or sometimes twice seems to fix the issue, but obviously the computer runs into problems restoring a saved session.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    <b> who cares about the crap man </b>

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ishamiyal View Post
    Um, battery life is what is being talked about here, which is highly dependent on the HDD. The illustration presented compares SSD life with traditional platter drive life. His question echoed mine- why is battery life with SSD shorter than with a traditional drive?
    Common misconception. SSDs generally use more power, you sacrifice power for speed.

Toms Hardware article on this: Should You Upgrade? From A Hard Drive To An SSD : Hard Drive Versus SSD

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadfire55 View Post
    Common misconception. SSDs generally use more power, you sacrifice power for speed.
    Okay, so I read the article and as I originally thought, it says the opposite of what you have cited here, that SSD's use a fraction of the power a traditional HDD does. From the article:

SSDs draw a few watts at most. Hard disks, however, can draw 10 W or more during sustained head movement. Modern SSDs don't even really get warm. Disk drives, on the other hand, often necessitate cooling. While normal front-to-back circulation through your case may be enough, the heat dissipation of your hard drive is something to think about as you build your system.

Also on this page of the article, that is reiterated again:
    Benchmark Results: Power Draw And Efficiency : Should You Upgrade? From A Hard Drive To An SSD

So the question remains, why does the SSD in this chart consume more power?
    Last edited by ishamiyal; 09-11-2012 at 09:47 PM.