Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Claims Their Multitouch Software is Sub Par to Avoid Dutch Galaxy Ban

Thanks

Default Samsung Claims Their Multitouch Software is Sub Par to Avoid Dutch Galaxy Ban

In what seems to be a rather bizarre event, Samsung recently told the court in Netherlands that their multitouch software is terrible in comparison to that of Apple’s. This was done in a desperate attempt to avoid having their products banned from the Netherlands, a move that would definitely hurt the South Korean electronics manufacturer.

Apple in the Court of the Hague said that Samsung should be banned from selling Galaxy devices in the Netherlands because the South Korean electronics company has infringed on their “touch event model” patent. This particular patent describes technology that prevents smartphone users from making erroneous touches at the same time. Samsung lawyer, Bas Berghuis van Woortman argued “while Apple’s technology is a “very nice invention,” the technique used in Android differs from the iOS solution. Because the Android based method is more hierarchical the system is more complex and therefore harder for developers to use.”

In order for Apple to win the case, the Cupertino California company argued that Samsung’s touch event model is totally almost as good as theirs, with Apple lawyer, Theo Blomme telling the judge the following:

They suggest that they have a lesser solution, but that is simply not true. The technique used in Android does solve a multiple input “conflict situation” and in that way the Android software essentially does the same as Apple’s.
    At the end of it all, the court ended up seeing Samsung continually claiming their multitouch is terrible all while Apple continued to praise how awesome Samsung’s multitouch is, just to turn around and slam them with the ban. The thought of Samsung talking their product down while Apple talking it up is definitely something we don’t see too often.

Source: PC World

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

That's kinda funny!

Samsung just HIT their heads with their own BIG MALLET!!! What a stupid move...

So what, now nobody else can ever use any multi-touch solution?

I don't see how sme of the things Apple is claiming were unlawfully copied don't fall under the FRAND (sp) licensing requirements.

In the end it just seems like a win for Apple is a loss for consumers because e it stifles competition...

"Samsung recently told the court in Netherlands that their multitouch software is terrible in comparison to that of Apple’s. This was done in a desperate attempt to avoid having their products banned from the Netherlands"

Tough s _ _ _!

I do love my iphone, but apple fans *mod edit: language edit* make me sick, you guys are just... now words for it.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 09-09-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: unnecessary commentary removed

Quote Originally Posted by kyphur View Post

I don't see how sme of the things Apple is claiming were unlawfully copied don't fall under the FRAND (sp) licensing requirements.

In the end it just seems like a win for Apple is a loss for consumers because e it stifles competition...
    Stifles competition? Does this not force them to innovate, which increases diversity and thereby competition?

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loso86 View Post
    I do love my iphone, but apple *mod edit: language edit* make me sick, you guys are just... now words for it.
    Then go to an android site. Because no one cares.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 09-09-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    Stifles competition? Does this not force them to innovate, which increases diversity and thereby competition?
    If nobody else can develop multi-touch then it will never need to improve.

What if HTC & Microsoft wer so predatory about "Touchscreen phones"? Capaticance (sp?) vs resittance wouldn't matter because Apple couldn't have a touchscreen phone period.

For the consumers' sake multi-touch should be covered by FRAND as it's just reasonable evolution of the devices.
    Last edited by kyphur; 09-08-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    And people wonder why apple is so much better than android. how about the fact that THERE IS a website for tech-support, community, rumors for iphones. however androids no they have uh.. the official motorola website. I can go to any electronics store and guess what ill find. a case for my iphone however if i go searching for an android case its very unlikely it will be there. QUALITY > QUANTITY.

also people will think this is just apple supressing samsungs capabilities but this has just proven that samsung wants nothing more than to copy others technologies and use different hardware, instead of innovating and creating their own technology with their hardware. "Someone who simply follows in the footsteps wont ever make a mark." -some internet quote i remember

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    And people wonder why apple is so much better than android. how about the fact that THERE IS a website for tech-support, community, rumors for iphones. however androids no they have uh.. the official motorola website. I can go to any electronics store and guess what ill find. a case for my iphone however if i go searching for an android case its very unlikely it will be there. QUALITY > QUANTITY.
    Really? A-Developers is the largest online mobile phone community and it's NOT IPHONE friendly!

BTW, tons of those readily available iPhone cases are both over-priced and cheaply manufactured.

Guess what I can easily find for any Android & Windows Mobile phone: spare and/or extended batteries!

Guess what I can do on a stock Android devices evice that I can't do on a stock iDevice: install whatever software I want including themes!

Guess what Android & Windows Mobile had from the start: yep copy/paste & WiFi Sync!

also people will think this is just apple supressing samsungs capabilities but this has just proven that samsung wants nothing more than to copy others technologies and use different hardware, instead of innovating and creating their own technology with their hardware. "Someone who simply follows in the footsteps wont ever make a mark." -some internet quote i remember
    Just another reminder that the iPhone is full of ideas copied from other platforms.

Compare phones to cars, there are certian developments that are simply going to happen as the technology develops (power windows/locks on cars, multi-touch on phones). Apple should focus on making thier UI better than the competition instead of trying to block the competition.

Touchscreen smartphones were a dying market before the iPhone came around. Most touch screens were a total fail as I owned quite a few models and ended up going towards a non touch screen, blackberry type device. iPhone not only breathed life back into the market but it reinvented it and revolutionized it in both function and form. Samsung and android devices are not a natural evolution of touch screens or smartphones, they are a blatant copy of apples tech and OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    Why does everyone say this? NO ONE INNOVATES in this industry. NO ONE. Steve Jobs admitted he has zero shame in stealing ideas. The ONLY reason Apple is so hard up for Samsung is because they are a threat and all of a sudden Samsung has become a major played to Apple's reign as supreme. You don't see them suing LG, or Sony. Why? Because they make terrible products which don't have any niche in the industry - and is absolutely zero threat to anything Apple does.

Stop saying forcing to innovate. No one innovates anymore. It comes down to user experience, period. I personally can't see how anyone can own a Samsung device that uses Touchwiz, because quite frankly it's trash. If you just got the raw Android AOSP experience, it's every bit as good as anything Apple has.

Seriously? A Developers dwarfs MMI, and any other iPhone related site. AND, they have iPhone support there. Clue = You.

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    Touchscreen smartphones were a dying market before the iPhone came around. Most touch screens were a total fail as I owned quite a few models and ended up going towards a non touch screen, blackberry type device. iPhone not only breathed life back into the market but it reinvented it and revolutionized it in both function and form. Samsung and android devices are not a natural evolution of touch screens or smartphones, they are a blatant copy of apples tech and OS.
    That's like saying Ford and GM, Audi and Mercedes copied Karl Benz because he invented the first gasoline engine car in the 1880's - come on. Really? I'm sure he's in his grave today saying, "Man, that AMG SL65 sure has a nice in-dash touch screen and it does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. But that's a blatant copy because they use internal combustion engines and it has wheels".
    Last edited by Slimz; 09-08-2012 at 09:59 AM.

(double post)
    Last edited by PandaJerk; 09-08-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Really? A-Developers is the largest online mobile phone community and it's NOT IPHONE friendly!

BTW, tons of those readily available iPhone cases are both over-priced and cheaply manufactured.

Guess what I can easily find for any Android & Windows Mobile phone: spare and/or extended batteries!

Guess what I can do on a stock Android devices evice that I can't do on a stock iDevice: install whatever software I want including themes!

Guess what Android & Windows Mobile had from the start: yep copy/paste & WiFi Sync!

Just another reminder that the iPhone is full of ideas copied from other platforms.

Compare phones to cars, there are certian developments that are simply going to happen as the technology develops (power windows/locks on cars, multi-touch on phones). Apple should focus on making thier UI better than the competition instead of trying to block the competition.
    Oh because full customizability is the best seller? Sure to people like me who jailbreak. But for the average consumer those features are useless. Customizing doesn't always help its often buggy and unhelpful.

Oh because android cases are so good! They aren't made by the EXACT same manufacturers and same materials. OVERPRICED? Have you ever bought a case I can buy 10 useful ones for 20 bucks.

iPhone's dont need spare batteries because you can literally charge one ANYWHERE because someone always has an iPhone charger! It's a universal phone. Apple could own more of the market if they were like Samsung and Motorola and made phones for every price every customer. Apple only makes one device and owns 30%+ of the market Motorola and Samsung make 100+ and own 50%+ apple makes way more profit because it is a universal phone.

Oh yeah and you can install viruses. There are ways to et viruses on iPhones however you either need to jailbreak or download those 1 in every 100,000 apps that somehow managed to hide a virus.

Guess what copy and paste isn't patented buddy. Apple patented their designs their technology they even license patents from other tech resources. Motorola and Samsung had that opportunity but they thought they could get away. At least Microsoft had the common sense to license its not like patents are a new things and lawsuits are new.

Get off this forum like why the hell are you on it seriously?

heres the truth. Android sucks.

From a person that has an sIII as my main phone, an ip4 as my backup, and a blackberry 9900 as my work phone.

Android sucks. stock vs stock, because this is the only way to evenly compare devices and 90% of users will never root or JB their phone. IOS is much smoother, crashes less, apps costs less, i can go on.

Are there things that i like about android? absolutely, not enough to tell anyone that I like it more than IOS.

battery management on the SIII has improved a lot, other android phones, not so much. I have friends with SII's and other divices that walk around with battery back ups, and their devices are rooted!!! I never have issues with my ip4, although my siii comes closed, my BB just sucks with battery life.

reason apple doesnt let you install any kind of app on their phone is due to stability and contractual purposes. IE i cant install PDAnet on either stock phone.

again unless you are comparing these phones on a daily basis using them in real world situations like the other 90% of consumers who buy them, its just heresy and opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    1) Don't speak for anyone other than yourself (and anyone wh ohas specifically ask you to speak on their behalf.) Your feeling are obviously not universally felt so you do not speak for the masses, so kindly stop pretending you do.

2) Secondly, this is a place for discussion, usually relating to Apple products, but that doesn't mean it's limited to pro-apple speech.

3) Lastly, If you don't like seeing other people's opinions for something, then why the hell are you reading a discussion board (or comment stream if you're in the blog view) ? That's the whole point of web forums. Just because YOU do not like something does not mean it just should suddenly be censored for all.

Oh because full customizability is the best seller? Sure to people like me who jailbreak. But for the average consumer those features are useless. Customizing doesn't always help its often buggy and unhelpful.
    Of course not everyone cares about theming or being able to personalize their device but it sure is nice to have the option. I've never heard of changing colors or fonts crashing a Windows Phone but then I've only been in the Smartphone scene since like 2003.

Oh because android cases are so good! They aren't made by the EXACT same manufacturers and same materials. OVERPRICED? Have you ever bought a case I can buy 10 useful ones for 20 bucks.
    There are good and bad cases for every phone. I've found some real crap-pies for all platforms including iDevices.

I have ever seen a $2 case that's worth eve 2 cents, I buy cases like OtterBox DeFender and LifeProof, my devices (of all makes) are well protected and still in like new condition when I finally sell them off.

iPhone's dont need spare batteries because you can literally charge one ANYWHERE because someone always has an iPhone charger! It's a universal phone. Apple could own more of the market if they were like Samsung and Motorola and made phones for every price every customer. Apple only makes one device and owns 30%+ of the market Motorola and Samsung make 100+ and own 50%+ apple makes way more profit because it is a universal phone.
    I've never had a problem being able to charge an Android or WIndows Mobile device, responsible users don't mind keeping a cable handy and USB ports are everywhere!

The variety of Android devices isn't a Samsung issue, there are other manufacturers of Android devices Samsung is just the largest.

The issues with Android are not that it can't be simple and user friendly it's simply a matter of maturity. Apple's iOS was once immature (no cut & paste, no support for MMS, still no Java support) no OS is perfect. Android is catching up to iOS and in fact pushing iOS to be better (as evidenced by the new notification center). iOS takes from Android and Android takes from iOS, that's how it should be.

Oh yeah and you can install viruses. There are ways to et viruses on iPhones however you either need to jailbreak or download those 1 in every 100,000 apps that somehow managed to hide a virus.
    Viruses can be downloaded from websites using buffer overrun and such, open architecture doesn't equate to "loaded with viruses", I've NEVER been infected on any of my devices (including desktop/laptop computers) because I've always been a responsible user.

Guess what copy and paste isn't patented buddy. Apple patented their designs their technology they even license patents from other tech resources. Motorola and Samsung had that opportunity but they thought they could get away. At least Microsoft had the common sense to license its not like patents are a new things and lawsuits are new.
    Guess what, not everything Apple patented was invented by apple. Even if Copy/Paste was patented it would be included in FRAND. Do you even know what FRAND is? Some companies don't bother patenting things they know are part of the natural evolution of a device and other companies are Apple!

Get off this forum like why the hell are you on it seriously?
    I would ask the same question of you.

Me, I'm a registered iOS developer. I own the following Apple devices: iPhone3G, iPhone3Gs, iPhone4, iPhone4s, iPad2WiFi, MacBookPro.

What I'm not is a blind Fanboy. I don't worship Steve Jobs like he invented the universe.

I will be getting an Android Tablet and Phone so I can also develop for Android.

I run Windows 7 on my MacBookPro along with Snow Leopard and also develop software for the WIndows Platform.

I'm the kind of user these forums really need but are afraid to embrace.

I don't vilify any platform, as a developer I understand that technology doesn't develop in a vacuum but thrives in a competitive market.

Quote Originally Posted by drigo1178 View Post
    heres the truth. Android sucks.

From a person that has an sIII as my main phone, an ip4 as my backup, and a blackberry 9900 as my work phone.
    I would just ask you why is the iPhone your backup then? This question is not looking to start an argument but rather to further the discussion.

BTW, your whole post would be more meaningful if your opening statement was along the lines of "My opinion is iOS is better than Android OS based on my personal experience." I actually found the rest of your post to be rather well written and balanced but the first line just comes off as "Oh man here comes another Apple FanBoy".
    Last edited by kyphur; 09-08-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loso86 View Post
    I do love my iphone, but apple fanbitches make me sick, you guys are just... now words for it. Just drop dead.
    So brave

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alanjf View Post
    2) Secondly, this is a place for discussion, usually relating to Apple products, but that doesn't mean it's limited to pro-apple speech.
    From responses I've gotten lately, this website is apparently only for those who only love Apple, everything Apple does is pure mana from heaven. Any negativity towards Apple is not tolerated and if you dare to like Samsung then you should die.

When did this site turn from being a forum about tweaking and modding a cool device to one where many of it's users think it's only for a Pro-Apple / Screw-Anything-Else "discussions"?
    This website used to be such a nice place, back when we were all jailbreaking iPhones using tricky convoluted methods

Now, this website seems to just spawn hate and angry fanboys. The Staff Writers aren't helping the situation either, as many "articles" are posted purely to fuel this hate or "articles" are written that are misleading, false, or written with the tone of a disgruntled pre-pubescent fanboy. If you post something about Samsung you're told to get off this site. Yet almost every day there's a new Staff "Article" about Samsung on this site. "Oh but it relates to Apple" - true, but so do countless other things that dont get front page space here. It's always the negative stories about Samsung. Why not post a story about how successful the Galaxy S III has been? Nah, that won't get clicks and tons of hateful comments.

I want this site to become what it used to be again.
    Last edited by feidhlim1986; 09-08-2012 at 11:56 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

szr (09-08-2012)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast