Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Comes Out Ahead in Patent Case in Japan

Thanks

Default Samsung Comes Out Ahead in Patent Case in Japan

A Japan court recently ruled against Apple’s claim that Samsung infringed on one of its utility patents, giving the Korean company a small victory after its huge loss of a similar case in the United States. According to Reuters, the Tokyo District Court ruled that Samsung’s products don’t infringe upon an Apple patent for transferring media content between two devices.

Another report from Bloomberg noted that Judge Tamotsu Shoji handed down the verdict, ruling Samsung’s Galaxy devices (including the Galaxy Tab) are not in violation of Apple’s Patent No. 4,204,977 for synchronizing music and video data in devices to servers. Judge Shoji said the following; “It’s hard to believe the products belong to the range of technologies of the claimant,” as he ordered Apple to pay the legal fees associated with the suit.

Apple first sued Samsung in Japan last year, asserting claims against the Galaxy S, Galaxy Tab, and Galaxy S II, seeking 100 million yen in damages. The current ruling comes on the heels of the landmark Apple vs. Samsung U.S. trial which found Samsung guilty of violating six Apple design and utility patents. The ruling resulted with Apple being awarded over $1 billion and the Cupertino California company seeks a permanent sales ban against eight infringing devices.

Source: Bloomberg, Reuters

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Apple won the case in USA where extreme bias exist!!! And tue only country having prople that could not distinguish difference on a product! Its more fun in the US and only in the US! Wewww kewl

Depends on which side of the fence you sit.

Some might argue the US court got it right with the Asian courts showing home town bias.

Either way, all involved need to find a way to coexist without suing each other every 5 minutes.

This whole debacle is becoming tedious and counter productive.

Let me tell you a story.
    Back in the 70's there were a number of companies in Japan, UK, Europe and US making Microwave valves.
    Guess who made the massive investment into discovery, development and manufacture of microwave valves.
    Japan reduced the cost to more or less the cost of just the component materials, which you'd think didn't make economic sense, but guess who makes microwave valves now and guess what the cost now is. ?

Quote Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
    Depends on which side of the fence you sit.

Some might argue the US court got it right with the Asian courts showing home town bias.

Either way, all involved need to find a way to coexist without suing each other every 5 minutes.

This whole debacle is becoming tedious and counter productive.
    Ruling was in Japan, Samsung is a Korean company..... You do understand these are 2 different countries right?

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    Ruling was in Japan, Samsung is a Korean company..... You do understand these are 2 different countries right?
    Hahaha +1 I was just going to say the same thing

Banned
    Thanks

Everything just sucks in America thats why I'm glad I don't live there and I will never visit there.

That hearing wasn't a fair one. They had it in Apples hometown so it was a jury of Apple fanboys. There was no way Samsung was going to win having it there.

Every post here so far is about bias, where the case was held, fanboy crap (please, courts don't consider fanboy crap), is Korea a different Asian country from Japan (yes it is, but the poster DID say Asian countries, so factually he was correct), and NakedFaerie's I hate all things America rant. Except for twigwonderkid, whose post at least had some factual content, everything here is just opinion.

Gee, maybe a discussion about the actual merits of the case would be in order (whether or not Apple wins or loses is secondary to the facts of the matter). The rest of this is just you folks yammering about whose butt smells better (remember, opinions are like <butts> - everyone has one but nobody thinks THEIRS stinks).

Oh, and NakedFaerie, if you hate America so much, why don't you just stop buying American goods, reading American blogs, watching American movies, listening to American music, and just go be nationalistic somewhere else? I don't talk trash about other countries (I assume you are British, based on your name) because it's not polite or well-mannered. I suggest you do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    Every post here so far is about bias, where the case was held, fanboy crap (please, courts don't consider fanboy crap), is Korea a different Asian country from Japan (yes it is, but the poster DID say Asian countries, so factually he was correct), and NakedFaerie's I hate all things America rant. Except for twigwonderkid, whose post at least had some factual content, everything here is just opinion.

Gee, maybe a discussion about the actual merits of the case would be in order (whether or not Apple wins or loses is secondary to the facts of the matter). The rest of this is just you folks yammering about whose butt smells better (remember, opinions are like <butts> - everyone has one but nobody thinks THEIRS stinks).

Oh, and NakedFaerie, if you hate America so much, why don't you just stop buying American goods, reading American blogs, watching American movies, listening to American music, and just go be nationalistic somewhere else? I don't talk trash about other countries (I assume you are British, based on your name) because it's not polite or well-mannered. I suggest you do the same.
    Well said!! These America haters just kill me - the hypocrisy. You're not quite right about court city bias, though. Why do you think they take so much time with jury selection... And even move trial cities if too much potential bias exists. It's very common.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

This ruling is a big shock to me

Plus there is a gap between Japan and Korea but still their judicial system does not side with patriotism! Like what the Japanese always say "Business is businnes"

Court city bias is usually dealt with by moving a trial from a court in one area of a city to another (witness OJ Simpson's trial) to get a jury pool unaffected by close proximity to where the crime was committed (or to get a jury more amenable to either the defense or prosecution (again, OJ). Here we are talking about two things: whether a country has a predisposition to find in favor of one company over another based on the location of said company (which is a bit simplistic factoring in the global economy and the reality that companies are now multinational and aren't really anywhere) and whether the jury pool was comprised of, as someone here so cogently put it, "fanboys." I don't see how a jury in Northern California/Silicon Valley would be better or worse than one in Fresno or Sacramento or Los Angeles when it comes to a battle over cell phones/patent infringement. Unless every juror in the pool used an iPhone and had direct ties to Apple, it really shouldn't matter. I have a hard time believing a juror would make a decision based entirely on the love of the phone s/he used. However, I do think it is possible that a basic knowledge of phones might help jurors decide if one is using proprietary ideas stolen from another. Not altogether a bad thing. If I had a case against a car manufacturer, I'd try to find jurors who own cars, just so they would have some background to help them decide the case. So, unless everyone here thinks we should get Amish or Luddite jurors for all cases involving technology infringement cases, I don't see the issue. Oh, and I am fairly certain the the judge discussed these issues before the jury, and that opposing attorneys questioned prospective jurors before the trial as to their "fanboyness."

Court city bias is usually dealt with by moving a trial from a court in one area of a city to another (witness OJ Simpson's trial) to get a jury pool unaffected by close proximity to where the crime was committed (or to get a jury more amenable to either the defense or prosecution (again, OJ). Here we are talking about two things: whether a country has a predisposition to find in favor of one company over another based on the location of said company (which is a bit simplistic factoring in the global economy and the reality that companies are now multinational and aren't really anywhere) and whether the jury pool was comprised of, as someone here so cogently put it, "fanboys." I don't see how a jury in Northern California/Silicon Valley would be better or worse than one in Fresno or Sacramento or Los Angeles when it comes to a battle over cell phones/patent infringement. Unless every juror in the pool used an iPhone and had direct ties to Apple, it really shouldn't matter. I have a hard time believing a juror would make a decision based entirely on the love of the phone s/he used. However, I do think it is possible that a basic knowledge of phones might help jurors decide if one is using proprietary ideas stolen from another. Not altogether a bad thing. If I had a case against a car manufacturer, I'd try to find jurors who own cars, just so they would have some background to help them decide the case. So, unless everyone here thinks we should get Amish or Luddite jurors for all cases involving technology infringement cases, I don't see the issue. Oh, and I am fairly certain the the judge discussed these issues before the jury, and that opposing attorneys questioned prospective jurors before the trial as to their "fanboyness."
    I agree fully with your analysis there. You just made such an overarching statement in your first response - that it needed correction - in the absence of all the disclaimer you just provided. :-)
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

You do understand that was not his point.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

How the hell is his name British?!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Japan and Korea do not get along, currently there is dispute on some islands that sits between the two countries. Much of the business out of South Korea competes with Japan.
    I see no love between the two countries, it showed unbiased decision by Japan court with this decision.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    How the hell is his name British?!
    I assume he means because of the way Faerie is spelled. In the states we spell it differently. Fairy. Similar to how we spell "color" here, they spell it "colour".
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

Quote Originally Posted by Dysprosia View Post
    HTML is cool
    PHP is better

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Everything just sucks in America thats why I'm glad I don't live there and I will never visit there.

That hearing wasn't a fair one. They had it in Apples hometown so it was a jury of Apple fanboys. There was no way Samsung was going to win having it there.
    Samsung would still not win if it was hold in their hometown you steal ideas make profit off of stolen ideas you will loss no matter where its hold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast