+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Native OS X Version of GIMP Open-Source Photo Editor Finally Available

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Native OS X Version of GIMP Open-Source Photo Editor Finally Available

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program), a staple on Windows as an open-source alternative to Photoshop, is finally natively supported on Mac OS X.

GIMP has already been available on OS X, but users needed to use the X11 Window environment for it to work. With GIMP native the potentially messy X11 install is no longer required, and performance will likely improve significantly.

Version 2.8.2 not only adds native Mac support, but fixes a number of bugs found in the last major GIMP release version 2.8. Version 2.8 added new interface features like layer groups, and on-canvas text editing, but a few bugs like not remembering JPEG saving options, slow canvas draw and the page setup options menu disappearing.

We’ll have a review of GIMP in the not-too-distant future, until then follow this link and try it for yourself.

Source: Lifehacker, GIMP

Green Apple
    Thanks

gimp is good

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Finally!!!!!! About time.

To bad I like Pixelamator a lot more now.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ranjan Kashyap View Post
    Gimp is a good photo editing software for editing pics. However if you are a professional ..you would like to work on Photoshop.
    The big issue is the cost of Photoshop, which puts it out of reach for most people. I personally can't even stand using GIMP anymore, but not everyone is as fortunate as I am with their choices.

That said, GIMP is a good alternative for professional-level graphic design on a hobbyist budget. Nobody deals with GIMP for basic photo-editing. They have hundreds of other choices to do simple things like that, and most cameras come with some kind of basic photo editor. These are free and much more simple to use than GIMP.

GIMP is used by people who want Photoshop, but can't afford it. Not people who only want to brighten an image.
    It's not where you've been, or where you're going..
    It's where you are.
    Reflect on the past, plan for the future, mod for today.

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

it runs soO much better now!

Thanks

GIMP is the only editor I have ever been able to use (aside from Elements on my school's computers), and I'm very happy with it. However, there are a few features that PhotoShop has that GIMP is lacking, and some features GIMP has that PhotoShop is lacking (yes, they exist). I actually have come to like the OS X version of GIMP (X11 that is), and I'm not sure if I'll like a port of the original GIMP to OS X, as this seems to be. The X11 version seemed to have more, better features (not to mention a really great UI), so I may actually stick with it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Banks4004 View Post
    gimp is good
    Gimp is very good :-)

Anybody know if there are any limitations, e.g., with respect to extensions or plug-ins with the native OS X version?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ranjan Kashyap View Post
    Gimp is a good photo editing software for editing pics. However if you are a professional ..you would like to work on Photoshop.
    MMi is a good site for posting spam links in your signature. However if you are a professional spammer ..you are a gimp, and should go to Hell.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Lmao. Couldn't have picked a worse acronym if they tried!

Gimp-
    •A physically handicapped lame person
    •A limp or
    •A feeble contemptible person OR (my personal favourite)
    •Someone who is into the submission role in S&M typically wearing full leather/PVC body suits and a gimp mask. 😜
    Last edited by purplemonkeyspank; 08-31-2012 at 01:28 AM.