Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Eddy Cue Says Apple HD Television Depends on Content

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Eddy Cue Says Apple HD Television Depends on Content

More dramatic and suspenseful than most television cliffhangers ever could be, suspicions lingering over Apple's supposed plans to enter the connected TV market have ramped up significantly in recent months. But a new report is throwing a big wet blanket on burning rumors that the new Apple product is coming soon.

On Friday, provocative comments form Eddy Cue, Apple's longtime chief of Internet Software and Services, indicated that the success of the rumored Apple HDTV depends on many factors. But content is chief among them.

According to Cue, there's no doubt that Apple could deliver a snazzy and better than average television user interface, but that's an "incomplete solution," he says. In fact, Cue thinks that his company wouldn't move forward with such a product unless it could first be able to "deliver content in a way that is different from the current multichannel pay TV model."

"Unfortunately for Apple and for consumers," says Pacific Crest's Andy Hargreaves, "acquiring rights for traditional broadcast and cable network content outside of the current bundled model is virtually impossible because the content is owned by a relatively small group of companies that have little interest in alternative models for their most valuable content."

Given that MMi reported several weeks ago that Apple CEO Tim Cook attended an Idaho tech retreat with the rumored goal of reaching out to potential content partners, Cue's recent remarks seem to underscore why Cook is actively doing everything possible to reach the deals necessary to make the Apple HDTV an eventual reality.

Source: Fortune

ZzZzZz who knew that people wouldnt want to buy a tv without television included..

I can't wait!
    why should we fork over $25 a month for hundreds of channels
    when we could purchase individual episodes in iTunes for $3 each?

re-authorizing payment, every time I sit down on the couch
    is the way Television was always meant to be.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    I can't wait!
    why should we fork over $25 a month for hundreds of channels
    when we could purchase individual episodes in iTunes for $3 each?

re-authorizing payment, every time I sit down on the couch
    is the way Television was always meant to be.
    Umm do you only watch 8 tv shows (episodes) a month?

I'm not sure but doesn't this TV look just like a Samsung TV?

My iPhone is a Part of Me desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't understand why Apple wouldn't just give money to production companies to produce their own content. They surely have enough cash. Why go through all the middle men and corporations when they can go straight to the source.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud View Post
    I'm not sure but doesn't this TV look just like a Samsung TV?
    They're all just black rectangles. I'm sure Apple will start claiming they invented that though.

Your right Apple probably did and if it went to court they'd win. A jury of fan boys I'm sure