+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: VMWare Fusion 5 Released for Mac Users

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
For Mac users, one of the most popular ways to use Windows is through a virtual machine method because it allows the Mac user to control their Mac OS X
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 760 Posts

Default VMWare 5 Released for Mac Users

For Mac users, one of the most popular ways to use Windows is through a virtual machine method because it allows the Mac user to control their Mac OS X operating system while another operating system runs in a separate window. It is an option separate from using Apple’s Boot Camp ability, which allows the user to partition their storage drive and install Windows. Virtual machines also support a wider range of operating systems than Boot Camp does. One popular virtual machine application for Mac users is VMWare Fusion and today, the application gets updated to version 5.0.

The update to the popular desktop virtualization tool adds compatibility with Apple’s newest operating system: OS X Mountain Lion. The latest version of VMWare Fusion 4 was capable of running on OS X Mountain Lion, however only VMWare Fusion 5 takes advantage is optimized to work on it and takes advantage of many of its new features. The update to the application also adds support for Windows 8, which Microsoft is expected to launch to the public very soon.

After you upgrade your copy of VMWare Fusion, you will also need to update the VMWare tools on your virtual machines – the application will prompt you to do this upon starting up your virtual machine automatically. In terms of appearance, it is hard to distinguish the difference between VMWare Fusion 4 and VMWare Fusion 5, so in reality, anyone upgrading will have no trouble at all figuring out the interface. Functionally, the application is just as powerful as before and is much more responsive.

According to VMWare’s Web site, VMWare Fusion 5 is 1.4x faster than VMWare Fusion 4, offers 1.45x more battery life than VMWare Fusion 4, includes better 3D graphics performance, and offers even more compatibility that allows the two operating systems to intertwine with each other in a user environment. Included in the 5.0 update for VMWare Fusion is support for Apple’s newest Mac computers such as the MacBook Pro with retina display. The application is now retina display-ready and takes advantage of the new ports introduced on the computer like USB 3.0, although a disclaimer at the bottom of the Web site states that only Windows 8 can take advantage of the USB 3.0 ports.

Current VMWare Fusion users can upgrade to VMWare Fusion 5 for $49.99. Anyone that has purchased VMWare Fusion 4 after July 25 of this year can upgrade for free. The basic version of the software will cost $49.99 and the professional version will cost $99.99. VMWare offers a free 30-day trial of the software so you can try it and see if you like it from this link.

Sources: VMWare via Engadget
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 08-23-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks

Inception!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I have Windows 8 retail on a BOOTCAMP partition. I almost forgot how much it sucks. Once you go Mac you never you back.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 725 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micturition View Post
    I have Windows 8 retail on a BOOTCAMP partition. I almost forgot how much it sucks. Once you go Mac you never you back.
    Agreed. Not an fanboy. I've grown up with windows since 95. But man Mac is easier to operate and function

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 Times in 4,206 Posts

I'll stick with my Mac. Why would
    Someone wanna go back to windows?

iPhone? More like MyPhone WaLLy3K's Avatar
    Thanks

Inception is using Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac to remote to a Windows PC, which runs a virtualised instance of Linux

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

I use both windows and Mac. No difference to me to be honest. I use OS X more for personal use but windows is by far more valuable in the workforce.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Been waiting for this. Can't wait to try it out as soon as I finish restoring my MBA. I need Windows for school purposes, unfortunately.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Been waiting for this. Can't wait to try it out as soon as I finish restoring my MBA. I need Windows for school purposes, unfortunately.
    It doesn't appear to be much faster than Parallels 7, from the quick tests I did with Windows 8 Pro. Also appears to use a lot more CPU as well compared P7 too.

Will be interested to see the launch of Parallels 8 early next month.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I get VMWare for free bc of my school's CIS program. Hence choose VMWare over Parallels

I like Parallels better that's for sure, but free from school is better than out of pocket payment!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    I'll stick with my Mac. Why would
    Someone wanna go back to windows?
    Tools such as VMWare fusion are for people who require windows-only tools, or develop for it (programs / websites) and so on.

Enough of blatant trolling.

I myself have both vmware and parallels and virtualize not only windows.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

I like OSX better also, but I do not think windows sucks!! Win 7 is actually VERY good. I use it at work and remote desktop into a server from my mac. I wish Apples remote desktop app was a little better. I much prefer Windows file system.

When my Mac locks up I have no option except to unplug and restart it. No (that I know of) cntrl-alt-delete option on the mac!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

I rather use bootcamp since I mainly use windows 7 on my new MacBook Pro 15" Ret.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dranon View Post
    I like OSX better also, but I do not think windows sucks!! Win 7 is actually VERY good. I use it at work and remote desktop into a server from my mac. I wish Apples remote desktop app was a little better. I much prefer Windows file system.

When my Mac locks up I have no option except to unplug and restart it. No (that I know of) cntrl-alt-delete option on the mac!

It's option command escape I believe. Check the Apple menu. It's called Force Quit.

Thanks
    Option+Command+Escape.

Thanks

Once you go Mac you never go back.
    Same here.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The one and only reason for me to use it was to reload the Numark Omnicontrol Dj Console firmware on OS X Lion. Worked like charm. Was impossible to load in OS X natively. Seems MIDI is more Win friendly...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dranon View Post
    Lockups on the Mac are generally app-specific. Meaning: if Safari causes the Spinning Wheel, you can move your mouse then click on the desktop and that will let you "regain control" so you can click on Apple -> Force quit (Or use shortcuts, if you're into that as mentioned above).

If Finder stops responding, that makes things considerably harder and that's usually when you'll need to force shut down by holding the power button for five seconds.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

I did not know about option-command-escape. I DO know about force quit but i could not access the apple icon with the curser to invoke it! Next time it happens I'll see if the shortcut works! Thanks All!!

Thanks

Current VMWare Fusion users can upgrade to VMWare Fusion 5 for $49.99.
    Pfffff.....wtf!
    Unveil Mac OS X secret features ▸ www.defaults-write.com