+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Closing Arguments in the Apple vs. Samsung Trial

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
The Apple vs. Samsung trial which has taken place in California over the past few weeks is finally coming to an end with both companies making their closing statements to
    Thanks

Default Apple's Closing Arguments in the Apple vs. Samsung Trial

The Apple vs. Samsung trial which has taken place in California over the past few weeks is finally coming to an end with both companies making their closing statements to jurors this afternoon. First up was Apple, who described Samsung’s alleged act of “slavishly copying” the iPhone when it was introduced in 2007 in order to do damage control. The Cupertino California company continued to say that Samsung’s efforts to copy even more products over the years became apparent.

Apple’s Harold McElhinny presented the company’s final arguments, saying that Samsung’s devices didn’t look similar to any of Apple’s until 2007 when the iPhone was launched. Once the iPhone had launched, the Apple lawyer said that the similarities between the released devices (not just the iPhone) were obvious, pointing out the Best Buy survey (amongst other evidence) where customers were unable to differentiate between the iPad and the Samsung Galaxy Tab. McElhinny closed the argument telling the jury to look at the evidence where Samsung executives compared iPhone devices to Samsung devices in terms of features and ease of use and to also think about Samsung’s meeting with Google where Samsung was warned that it was copying Apple.

The Apple lawyer ended up presenting four scenarios where Samsung could owe Apple for damages. The scenarios ranged from Samsung owing anywhere between $2.481 billion in damages to a smaller $519 million. The biggest quote takeaway from Apple’s closing statement was when McElhinny said “Samsung was the iPhone’s biggest fan.” After Apple’s closing statement, it was Samsung’s turn to share its closing arguments where the South Korean electronics giant not only defended itself from Apple’s copying accusations, but also made a case to say that Apple actually infringed upon Samsung patents. When it was Apple’s turn for a rebuttal, the Cupertino California company made some strong statements and held its ground claiming that Samsung stole their designs and “didn’t play by the rules.” Apple even went as far as saying that Samsung shouldn’t just be given a slap on the wrist as it won’t change their operations.

We’ll have to wait and see what happens next.

Source: AllThingsD
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 08-22-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

When will the decision be made?
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

Banned
    Thanks

I think its Apple that needs a good slap over the head. They have always hated Samsung even that there are heaps of other devices that look more like an iPhone than the Galaxy phones and they arn't in the lawsuit are they.

How about the way Windows 8 copies Android OS. You arn't going to see a lawsuit over that are you. Google and Microsoft play nice, Apple is the only big company that kicks up a big fuss when it doesn't get its way.

I really hope they loose and have to pay Samsung billions as they deserve it.
    STOP sueing people and start making better devices. Play nice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    I think its Apple that needs a good slap over the head. They have always hated Samsung even that there are heaps of other devices that look more like an iPhone than the Galaxy phones and they arn't in the lawsuit are they.

How about the way Windows 8 copies Android OS. You arn't going to see a lawsuit over that are you. Google and Microsoft play nice, Apple is the only big company that kicks up a big fuss when it doesn't get its way.

Is your life that sad that you frequently comment on a site that focuses on products that you don't care for? I'm just trying to understand here... Even on Engadget there are more anti-Apple people commenting in the Apple articles than there are people who actually are interested. I really can't comprehend the mentality of spending time reading and complaining about something that I dislike that much or that doesn't interest me.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 714 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Is your life that sad that you frequently comment on a site that focuses on products that you don't care for? I'm just trying to understand here... Even on Engadget there are more anti-Apple people commenting in the Apple articles than there are people who actually are interested. I really can't comprehend the mentality of spending time reading and complaining about something that I dislike that much or that doesn't interest me.
    Thank you +1

Every damn thread he comments on is anti Apple! Just don't get it? He need to troll somewhere else lmao ;-p

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

+2 people are very sad these days.

Thanks

+3 !!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    He never said he disliked the iPhone. He was merely stating his opinion on this single case.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shupey View Post
    He never said he disliked the iPhone. He was merely stating his opinion on this single case.
    +1 I've had every single iPhone, iPad & a macbook & I hate Apple fan boys

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    +2 and I hate apple's business practices. Will be holding out for a while this coming fall/winter to see if anything else is worth switching to.

Green Apple
    Thanks

+4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Also the Android OS is a open-source system so your argument is invalid.
    Jailbreak for ALL!!!

Thanks

+5

Well said.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    i don't think you have every single idevice. be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
    +2 and I hate apple's business practices. Will be holding out for a while this coming fall/winter to see if anything else is worth switching to.
    if u don't like apple, just don't spend time on this site. stay away.
    Last edited by sw606; 08-22-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sw606 View Post
    i don't think you have every single idevice. be honest.

if u don't like apple, just don't spend time on this site. stay away.
    Sws606, you deserve a medal ! +1 !

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i really think u r a paid guy by samxxx or other corean companies. samxxx or other corean companies really pay people to write posts or articles in mmi and other websites trying to mislead people. that is part of their marketing expense.
    Last edited by sw606; 08-22-2012 at 09:36 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    This is the first time I have posted on modmyi (though I have followed the site for several years). I do believe this is a site for 'i' devices such as the iPhone, iPod and iPad and owners of said devices. Therefore as an owner of the aforementioned devices which, in my opinion, are well built, well designed and a pleasure to use, I feel I need to comment.
    I would never even contemplate going anywhere near another site or forum that catered for a phone, tablet or operating system other than the one I use and am happy with.
    I can afford to buy 'i' devices whenever they are released and realise I am lucky to be able to do so.
    BUT I have come to the conclusion that the 'trolls' 'haters' '**** heads' who come onto this site to bash apple and owners of their products really come here to wonder what it's like to own a superior product, one that isn't given away inside a packet of cereal, or for 20 a month. Whenever I pick up my phone or pad I know where my extra few 's went. And I'm also happy not to be carrying around an oversized piece of plastic patent infringement in my pocket!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mmmmganja For This Useful Post:

Anonymous (08-22-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmganja View Post
    This is the first time I have posted on modmyi (though I have followed the site for several years). I do believe this is a site for 'i' devices such as the iPhone, iPod and iPad and owners of said devices. Therefore as an owner of the aforementioned devices which, in my opinion, are well built, well designed and a pleasure to use, I feel I need to comment.
    I would never even contemplate going anywhere near another site or forum that catered for a phone, tablet or operating system other than the one I use and am happy with.
    I can afford to buy 'i' devices whenever they are released and realise I am lucky to be able to do so.
    BUT I have come to the conclusion that the 'trolls' 'haters' '**** heads' who come onto this site to bash apple and owners of their products really come here to wonder what it's like to own a superior product, one that isn't given away inside a packet of cereal, or for 20 a month. Whenever I pick up my phone or pad I know where my extra few 's went. And I'm also happy not to be carrying around an oversized piece of plastic patent infringement in my pocket!
    Well said, good sir.

Thanks

HATE is a strong word but this blog proves its still alive and well. Go to a site that has what you like and leave this one alone. I don't mind a disagreement but an all out HATE campagne is another thing. At least have an argument and not just mindless ranting..that is all for now

Green Apple
    Thanks
    here are the questions that mattter
    - did samsung purpously copy apple devices?. by looking at the evidence the answere is yes
    - must Samsung be punished for copying apples devices? the answere is obviously yes.
    - does apple have the right to defend whats theirs including patents and designs?. Yes its theirs and they own it.

apple had to do what was necessary. apple and google warned samsung about their copying of the iphone and didnt listen. apple even tried to make a reasonable settlement before they sued and samsung refused. they had to do this.