+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WSJ Releases More Details On Apple's Rumored New Set-Top Cable Box

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default WSJ Releases More Details On Apple's Rumored New Set-Top Cable Box

The Wall Street Journal published another report Thursday with additional information on Apple’s rumored set-top box.

The device will apparently include an iOS inspired user interface and a cloud-based DVR system that would destroy the line between live and on-demand television. Imagine having every episode of every television show ever at your fingertips as soon as it airs on television. No waiting a few days for an episode to show up on-demand and no need to waste DVR space recording shows.

The device’s user interface would borrow heavily from iOS making the clunky and slow set-top cable box interfaces plaguing living rooms look ancient in comparison. The new set-top box from Apple would be a beefed up version of the Apple TV with live-television functionality in addition to other streaming services. The WSJ sources don’t know what the exact interface will look like, but the functionality will be an amalgamation of cloud based and on-site DVR capabilities, as well as live television.

If the reports are true and Apple is developing an improved Apple TV set-top box, this might be the company’s solution for bringing the functionality of the rumored Apple HDTV to users not ready to purchase a new television. If Apple were to only release a television with the functionality described above they would be losing out on the massive number of television owners who have capable televisions with no desire to drop a large amount of cash to enter the Apple ecosystem.

Apple’s success in the television programming market hinges on their ability to license content and produce an affordable, yet revolutionary experience. Easy right?

Source: WSJ [via AppleInsider]

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm ready to see cable companies evolve to the next level. The old junky DVR boxes they've used for years and years are a joke. I feel sorry for people forced to used them. I'm still quite happy using my Media Center HTPC with 8 cablecard tuners for now. TheGreenButton
    ReflectionApp gives me full iPhone/iPad AirPlay emulation mirror capability as well.
    Reflection.app - AirPlay mirroring to your Mac or PC, wirelessly.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,595 Times in 660 Posts

Since when does the WSJ own or have connections to Apple to write of details about rumors?

To me details+rumors= Total BS!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

so i'm guessing no more cox cable boxes, just straight ethernet plug and play, one remote controls all.. i would be more happy with just an internet bill, but i'm pretty sure if that's true i would have to up my internet speed 2 levels..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Since when does the WSJ own or have connections to Apple to write of details about rumors?...
    Since at least '97, when Steve Jobs returned to Apple and began calling Walt Mossberg, the WSJ's principal technology columnist and creator of All Things Digital, personally.

Thanks

I feel it will be the best of all three worlds(Live Cable tv, Streaming and DVR) and will be awesome if they get it right! Its been a long time coming. Im hoping Apple gets it right like the 3G iPhone. We will see a ton of copycats including cable providers scrambling to play catch up. You know they are resting on their laurels when the cable box has actually gotten bigger, not smaller since cable tv was unleashed on us. Can't wait to see what happens with this..this is bigger than the next iPhone to me as it will affect way more individuals in the end.

Thanks

Motorola is the set-top king. Isn't Google rumored to be dumping them?