+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Office 2011 for Mac May Not Get Retina Display Support

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Office 2011 for Mac May Not Get Retina Display Support

The MacBook Pro with retina display was released at this year’s WWDC event and since then many Mac applications have been greeted with updates for the new display, which has an astoundingly high amount of pixels-per-inch (PPI) – 220 to be exact. With that kind of resolution, the human retina cannot distinguish individual pixels from a normal viewing distance.

Of all these applications being updated, one very important suite of software for school students and businesses – Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac – probably won’t be seeing an update for the new retina display. The comment comes from Microsoft themselves, as they explain to a person complaining about the screen quality coming off as "very fuzzy" in the suite of applications on the retina display of the new MacBook Pro:

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    The remaining apps will have the same viewing quality as on any non-Retina device. Unfortunately at this time, we cannot comment on any future updates regarding supporting Retina on Word, Excel or PowerPoint.
    Whether Microsoft has an update up their sleeve and refuses to admit it, or just simply plans to wait until the next release of Office for Mac to support the retina display is unclear. Taking the comment literally however, it is easy to gather that Microsoft has no intentions of releasing an update to improve its appearance any time in the near future.

Interestingly, Microsoft Outlook from the Office 2011 suite supports the retina display, so it’s actually very odd that the rest of the applications do not follow suit. Outlook is only an e-mail client, so for most people using the suite, users are going to prefer having retina display support for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint since these are the most popular tools from the suite.

In case you were interested, Apple’s competing suite known as iWork for the Mac supports the retina display on all new MacBooks.

Sources: MacWorld

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Are you kidding me? There better be an update to support the Retina Display MBP by the time Office for iPad comes out, otherwise I just might be switching over to iWork...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Support for Retina Display is probably one of the easiest things to implement. It simply requires you to create an image, double the size of the original non-retina image, and name it [email protected] (opposed to ImageName.png). So saying they won't be upgrading their software for Retina Display is ridiculous and makes them sound like lazy developers. This the exact reason why Apple is taking over IMO. They always take it a step further, and Microsoft has literally been letting Apple walk all over them lately.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by revblaze View Post
    Support for Retina Display is probably one of the easiest things to implement. It simply requires you to create an image, double the size of the original non-retina image, and name it [email protected] (opposed to ImageName.png). So saying they won't be upgrading their software for Retina Display is ridiculous and makes them sound like lazy developers. This the exact reason why Apple is taking over IMO. They always take it a step further, and Microsoft has literally been letting Apple walk all over them lately.
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    [CENTER][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR="#ff3399"]
    Devices
    White iPhone 5S 16 gb on 7.04; Aluminum MacBook Air on 10.8.2; White the New iPad 32 gb on 7.0.4 Jailbroken

Thanks

If you think its that simple, you're delusional.
    Doubling an images size, effectively halves its quality, so the end result would look exactly the same as before. I don't know how Microsoft develops its software, so they may have to recreate every image in the software if the core files they have aren't up to the 220 dpi Retina standard.
    In any case, Retina support will come, but I'm sure its not a simple a process for Microsoft than everyone thinks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by revblaze View Post
    Obviously you don't know anything about developing software. While yes a lot of the update for retina support would just involve higher res images for the GUI, but if you actually use the programs you'll see that typed text, menu items, and other non image items are also blurry. Not only do images need to be updated but i'm sure a lot of code needs to be modified and implemented to make this happen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Vector is your friend, designers.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i guarantee microsoft has saved their graphics in a larger image when making it. they are a big company based on software they probably saved the file on a bigger resolution. also text is already supported for everything in retina becuase it uses some sort of the same software and auto keeps it in the high-resolution

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAND33P View Post
    If you think its that simple, you're delusional.
    Doubling an images size, effectively halves its quality, so the end result would look exactly the same as before. I don't know how Microsoft develops its software, so they may have to recreate every image in the software if the core files they have aren't up to the 220 dpi Retina standard.
    In any case, Retina support will come, but I'm sure its not a simple a process for Microsoft than everyone thinks.
    I'm not talking about doubling the size of their images for a blurry outcome. That would be a very stupid move, and not to mention very unprofessional. But a company as big as Microsoft would no doubt-ably be able to recreate any icons or images, if they don't already have access to it. Many big developer that work for big companies like Microsoft tend to have a higher-resolution version of each image already created for them so they can shrink it down for the right exact size.

Obviously you don't know anything about developing software. While yes a lot of the update for retina support would just involve higher res images for the GUI, but if you actually use the programs you'll see that typed text, menu items, and other non image items are also blurry. Not only do images need to be updated but i'm sure a lot of code needs to be modified and implemented to make this happen.
    I'm not saying that it's an easy process to update everything for Retina display when it comes to big, bulky programs like Word, Excel or PowerPoint. What I am saying is that it should be more of a necessity for Microsoft. It wouldn't look very professional if they delivered a product without it. Also, you can't tell me that Microsoft is incapable of bringing Retina-support to their applications, because with all of their resources, they most certainly could bring Retina-support to their products. It may not be an easy process, but it would sure make their final product look nicer, and maybe a bit more professional.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I think that maybe it's a bit pathetic they don't bring Retina to their programs, when they have all the resources to do so.

Thanks

Agreed they should have better source images somewhere, but i know little about coding, so im just going to guess here:
    You cant just put a larger image in a smaller div can you? You'd need all sorts of exceptions and adaptations?

I reckon Microsofts own tablets are thier priority

Thanks

Bah. Office doesnt let me update due to some interference with my hard drive. Smh. I have more then enough space too.

Thanks

Once again MS wants to give us Mac users a sub par application compared to a native MS app..BOOOOO!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Once again MS wants to give us Mac users a sub par application compared to a native MS app..BOOOOO!
    Yup.

I wouldnt mind tasting some metro on my MBP

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Later or sooner it will have the support