+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Works with Apple to Secure iOS Design Patents

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Mobile technology certainly makes for strange bedfellows on occasion. As it turns out, Apple has licensed key design patents to Microsoft in a move that suggests the two tech giants
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Microsoft Works with Apple to Secure iOS Design Patents

Mobile technology certainly makes for strange bedfellows on occasion.

As it turns out, Apple has licensed key design patents to Microsoft in a move that suggests the two tech giants wish to avoid legal skirmishes down the road.

Interestingly enough, the patents licensed to Microsoft from Apple are the same ones Apple and Samsung are locking horns over in their courtroom imbroglio this summer.

Dab Levine, a reporter with Reuters, tweeted the following on Monday morning:

Apple patent licensing director Teksler: Apple has licensed its design patents to Msft, but they have an "anticloning" agreement.
    "There was no right with respect to these design patents to build clones of any type," Teksler added.

Apple is likely grandstanding to an unprecedented extent over the licensing agreement with Microsoft as a means to publicly display the steps that Samsung should have taken in order to avoid today's epic courtroom battle.

Source: Reuters, MacRumors

Green Apple
    Thanks

Much respect. This should give the whiners that claim that Apple is trying to monopolize the industry and that Apple is trying to weed out it's competition a slight change in mind.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This only tells me that Apple is afraid to pick on the kids bigger than they are.

Besides...Apple isn't in DIRECT competition with MS. This is a PR move to make people think Apple can play with others. In realty...Apple is just greedy.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    This only tells me that Apple is afraid to pick on the kids bigger than they are.

Besides...Apple isn't in DIRECT competition with MS. This is a PR move to make people think Apple can play with others. In realty...Apple is just greedy.
    Your obviously misguided. Bigger kids? Samsung trumps all other mobile device manufacturers so who's bigger than Apple or Samsung in the mobile community? Microsoft was smart to invest in licensing rather than deal with this headache of lawsuits. And how is Microsoft not in direct competition with Apple? Do they not make mobile phones and tablets as well?
    -= Formally known as SiLeNtKiLLa =-

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Wonder how much apple is gonna make off microsoft lol

Thanks

You're correct@iBanks! Two biggest players are Apple and Samsung these days..so Apple is NOT taking the easy route, they are showing your what Samsung should have done. Taking notes Samsung?? Is this thing on?? haha!

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Microsoft is no threat to Apple. No way in hell would Apple have done the same for Samsung as they are a huge threat to them. Anyway, what do y'all think will be in the next iPhone? Lol
    Last edited by Simon; 08-13-2012 at 03:57 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow...just....wow smh

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
    Microsoft is no threat to Apple. No way in hell would Apple have done the same for Samsung as they are a huge threat to them. Anyway, what do y'all think will be in the next iPhone? Lol
    That's the craziest thing I've seen said this far. Did you miss the news blast between yesterday and today stating that Samsung was offered a chance to license the patents in its products back in 2010? I could have sworn it was mentioned in this article as well. So how is it that they wouldn't have one what they did with Microsoft with Samsung? Last I read... Samsung denied to license so...?!?!?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 889 Posts

Yep there were reports I've seen saying Samsung was offered same deal as Microsoft but didn't take them.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBanks View Post
    Your obviously misguided. Bigger kids? Samsung trumps all other mobile device manufacturers so who's bigger than Apple or Samsung in the mobile community? Microsoft was smart to invest in licensing rather than deal with this headache of lawsuits. And how is Microsoft not in direct competition with Apple? Do they not make mobile phones and tablets as well?
    Yep haha!

Also this just shows apple IS willing to let competition use their patents as long as they license

iPhone? More like MyPhone Alluziion's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow. Please educate yourself.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Microsoft grew from the 'Vista' and 'Zune' era to something i have grown to respect so much. This is the way people should go about doing things

Thanks
    Apple and Microsoft have been playing nicely with each other since the late 90's. Remember, Internet Explorer was once the default browser for Mac.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBanks View Post
    I've seen this on so many forums... Number of devices sold and market share mean absolutely nothing. Profits and money in the bank mean everything when you're talking about businesses and who's bigger. On that note, Samsung doesn't hold a candle to Apple. They only wish they had the money Apple has. Copying someones product is embarrassing. At least Microsoft and their OEM's had it in them to do something different.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DampDesigns View Post
    I've seen this on so many forums... Number of devices sold and market share mean absolutely nothing. Profits and money in the bank mean everything when you're talking about businesses and who's bigger. On that note, Samsung doesn't hold a candle to Apple. They only wish they had the money Apple has. Copying someones product is embarrassing. At least Microsoft and their OEM's had it in them to do something different.
    I don't quite understand your point. How does the number of devices and market share mean absolutely nothing? If one cookie shop sales more cookies than the other one that's next door, is it not obvious that the one selling more, that has the most customers and most referrals is either doing something absolutely right or their cookies just taste a hell of a lot better? And you speak of profits in the bank means everything.... Well last I read, Apple owned I think it was 70% of the profits just a short while ago or maybe I'm confused? But your last two statements caught my respect because it looks like you have gathered some sort of understanding and respect that Samsung clearly copied with no second thoughts behind it where as others took the right/better road to secure themselves.