+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Mac Utility Makes Setting Up Jailbroken Apple TVs Easier Than Ever Before

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default New Mac Utility Makes Jailbreaking Apple TVs Easier Than Ever Before

If you happen to have an Apple TV 2 or are trying to get your hands on one, than you might want to learn about a new Mac utility for jailbroken Apple TVs called nito Installer. Kevin Bradley, better known as nitoTV, made an app that makes installing software on hacked ATVs easier than ever before.

There hasnít been an easy way to install jailbreak apps on the Apple TV previously, forcing users to use SSH or Terminal commands to install third-party apps. This is exactly where nito Installer comes in though as it allows you to install apps such as nitoTV or XBMC to your jailbroken Apple TV with the click of a mouse. Users can easily add XBMC plugins and run custom commands as well.

If you donít know how to jailbreak your Apple TV 2 (or any other iOS device you may have), you can use our Jailbreak Assistant to learn how. For users who currently own an Apple TV 3, you will remain out of luck as it was recently mentioned by popular iOS hacker, pod2g, that neither he nor anyone he knew was working on a jailbreak for the device.

Source: JailbreakAppleTV

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is a great tool for many but the title is misleading, the tool doesn't help jailbreak the AppleTV it adds XBMC and/or NitoTV to an already jailbroken device.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Wow I had forgotten that this site was founded for this sort of news. I was beginning to think it was solely to report Apple Vs Samsung bickering.

Banned
    Thanks

I will be getting a ATV2 soon and selling my ATV3 soon also.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Wow I had forgotten that this site was founded for this sort of news. I was beginning to think it was solely to report Apple Vs Samsung bickering.
    Haha! ^^

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 860 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beastlee View Post
    This is a great tool for many but the title is misleading, the tool doesn't help jailbreak the AppleTV it adds XBMC and/or NitoTV to an already jailbroken device.
    Very true...title is misleading

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so what is the benifit of a jailbroken apple tv? i have the thrid gen but will get the second if its actually worth it.. what can you do?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Isn't this pretty much what Firecore does, except Firecore charges $30?

This is gonna make them pissed.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David03181986 View Post
    so what is the benifit of a jailbroken apple tv? i have the thrid gen but will get the second if its actually worth it.. what can you do?
    Yeah same here. My atv2 is the only thing not jail broken.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    Isn't this pretty much what Firecore does, except Firecore charges $30?

This is gonna make them pissed.
    As stated, this isn't for jailbreaking, which is what FireCore is for. This utility is used when a device is already jailbroken to add packages easily.

Banned
    Thanks

The ATV3 is 1080P so it does things hi res compared to the 720P ATV2.

I'm wondering WHY hasn't anyone jailbroken this by now? Is it really that much harder than the ATV2?
    Why don't they just mod the firmware like Snowbreeze does?
    The only reason I got a ATV3 is there was no ATV2 in the shop and I wanted to stream from my iPad and NAS. As 99% of the movies and TV shows are on my NAS in AVI format the ATV3 is useless to me unjailbroken. I was looking forward to XMBC on it.
    If I have to wait till IOS6 is released and jailbroken then I will wait as thats only a few weeks/months hopefully but if its not going to be jailbroken then either I would like to know sooner so I can either take it back to the shop or trade it now while the ATV2 are still sortof cheap.
    Everytihng I have is 1080P so I didn't want an ATV2 but if thats all it does then thats what I'll get.
    Does the ATV2 still stream games from the iPad3 and look good?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skram View Post
    As stated, this isn't for jailbreaking, which is what FireCore is for. This utility is used when a device is already jailbroken to add packages easily.
    False. FireCore makes atv black. Seasonpass is free that jailbreaks. Atv black is 30 bucks and it puts an installer on your atv that allows you to, we'll, install stuff

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

I downloaded it and when I try to use it, it gives me this message “nito Installer” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. Somebody else have this problem?

Problem solved: Go to system preferences, security & privacy and check allow applications downloaded from: Anywhere
    Last edited by javiert30; 08-12-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David03181986 View Post
    To answer the question that was ignored on the Jailbreaking Website (LOL):

A jailbroken AppleTV allows you to play video formats that aren't allowed through iTunes (avi, VOB, divx, etc). You can set it up to read and play a Folder on your computer and it will decode it for streaming. There are also some other tweaks ( like displaying Weather on the ATV Homescreen ) that you can install, as well.

Prior to this nitoInstaller, getting tweaks/adding Video Channels onto the ATV was a pain but supposedly this will make it easier....

That's the gist of it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Very true...title is misleading
    Fixed the title to reflect a more accurate depiction of the utility as well as the content of the article.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Yah

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akshay Masand View Post
    Fixed the title to reflect a more accurate depiction of the utility as well as the content of the article.
    👍 Thanx!