+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GameStop Focuses on Selling Used Apple Products to Help Turnaround Business Sales

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default GameStop Focuses on Selling Used Apple Products to Help Turnaround Business Sales

The gaming retail chain, GameStop, seems to have taken a hit over the past year as many users move game downloads to mobile devices and online platforms. Although the retailer continues to maintain a two-thirds share of the retail market, the company’s stock seems to have taken a 26% dive, leaving the company in need of a serious turn-around. It should be noted that last September, GameStop began to take in trade-ins of Apple devices and it has been discovered that Apple products have been part of the company’s master plan to make a comeback. According to the San Francisco Chronicle:

In an effort to avoid the fate of Blockbuster, Circuit City and others in the remainder bin of failed retailers, GameStop has embarked on a daring, if inglorious, strategy: refashioning itself from a console-game purveyor into a repairer and reseller of Apple gadgets, betting that its retail visibility will prove an advantage.
    It was recently reported that GameStop lifted the curtains for its new $7 million Refurbishment Operations Center (ROC) around the same time it opened up its trade-in program. The focus of the ROC is to refresh the iOS device s traded-in and bring them back to life. Here, the company seeks to repair than ship iOS devices back to GameStop stores around the country to be sold for a solid markup. Along with iOS devices, the company has added Android tablets to the mix, expecting to make roughly $200 million this year from refurbished device sales alone, according to the note from the report.

When the program first began last year, GameStop claimed that customers could receive up to $180 for an iPod Touch, $300 for an iPhone, and $400 for an iPad, based off of the condition the device was in. According to GameStop’s site, users can now receive up to $148 for an iPod, $360 for an iPhone, and $388 for an iPad. Apple seems to have also benefited from this refurbished program, as it offers used gadgets for a fair price. In this case, most users can save up to anywhere between 10-20% off a device.

GameStop’s president, Tony Bartel, said “The velocity of this trade program has exceeded our expectations.” The retailer has already been in the pre-owned business for quite some time selling product such as the Xbox 360, the PlayStation 3, and other gaming consoles. The San Francisco Chronicle noted that GameStop’s pre-owned business already accounted for nearly 46% of the company’s profit. It is even being said that MacBooks may also soon end up in the company’s offerings so those in the market might want to keep their eye out.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle via 9to5Mac

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

F GameStop! Damn ripoffs

Thanks

They've been doing this for awhile now. Not sure who is actually buys the used Apple products, as they are over priced. I noted most iTouch(1st-4th Gen) were between $160-$199 used and scratched. You can buy a brand new one for that price. I bought a few in my time and never paid over $170 for brand new. GameStop makes a ton on the sale and resale of games. Problem is people are playing more iOS games than ever before. The volume of sales has dropped and now they are hocking Apple stuff to stay afloat?? Interesting.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    F GameStop! Damn ripoffs
    Seriously! +1! I miss Rhino Games so much!

Thanks

I got my iPad here two weeks ago for a total steal. Say what you will but I paid a measly $200 for a fully refurbished iPad 2 16 gig wifi and it not only has been a completely great device to use but the device looks and works like brand new out of the box. If you aren't using some video games--trade them in on store credit and use it toward an idevice you may want. I did and it worked out great. Much cheaper than Amazon, eBay and private buyer. Plus you get a warranty. Glad I waited a bit to buy one.

Laugh at GameStop all you want--this plan benefits console gamers who want to dump some stuff for an idevice. Worked awesome for me and I could've traded in more junk I wasn't really using. Still love console games 100 times better than phone/tablet games though.

PS--try not to order online, their staff is incompetent. Trust me.
    Last edited by SepticTank; 08-12-2012 at 05:16 PM.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Before ya know it we'll have a new store called AppleStop, just watch and see.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SepticTank View Post
    I got my iPad here two weeks ago for a total steal. Say what you will but I paid a measly $200 for a fully refurbished iPad 2 16 gig wifi and it not only has been a completely great device to use but the device looks and works like brand new out of the box. If you aren't using some video games--trade them in on store credit and use it toward an idevice you may want. I did and it worked out great. Much cheaper than Amazon, eBay and private buyer. Plus you get a warranty. Glad I waited a bit to buy one.

Laugh at GameStop all you want--this plan benefits console gamers who want to dump some stuff for an idevice. Worked awesome for me and I could've traded in more junk I wasn't really using. Still love console games 100 times better than phone/tablet games though.

PS--try not to order online, their staff is incompetent. Trust me.
    One good experience out of 1,000 is good