+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Introducing MacScripz - Small Tweaks for Mac OS X

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
For those of you that like your Mac computers, you’ll probably want to bookmark this new Web site by iOS developer Jay Deuskar ( Roshamboe ). The new Web site
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Introducing MacScripz - Small Tweaks for Mac OS X

For those of you that like your Mac computers, you’ll probably want to bookmark this new Web site by iOS developer Jay Deuskar (Roshamboe). The new Web site is called MacScripz and it has the intention of being a script database for Mac OS X – the Web site will allow users to download scripts that change the behavior of Mac OS X. As shown above, the Web site has both download links for the scripts themselves and download links for scripts that undo the action of the script downloaded (where applicable).

The Web site will soon be accepting submissions from its users, to upload their own scripts. Jay Deuskar will be personally checking through each submitted script to make sure they’re legitimate and not harmful. All scripts downloaded from MacScripz will be free and are used by downloading them and running them through the AppleScript Editor application, which is pre-built into your Mac.

The Web site has a gorgeous look to it, with a really nice organization chart that shows you what the script is, how it works, the user rating for the script, and easy-to-understand download links. At the bottom of the page, you will see an indicator that lets you know the last time the site was updated – this would be due to new scripts being added. At the top of the page, you will find How-To links and contact links. Hopefully soon, the list of scripts will multiply from three, to many.

The existing three scripts on the Web site right now are:
    1. Battery Improver
      • This deletes a corrupt settings file on OS X 10.7 and up to improve the system's power management. As soon as someone installs it, they can see the estimated Battery life jump anywhere from 2 to 4 hours (works especially great on the Retina MacBook Pro).
    2. Cloak&Dagger
      • On OS X 10.7 and up, Finder is configured by Apple to hide lots of files, which we used to be able to access on Snow Leopard. This tweak forces Finder to show all those hidden files. This is especially useful for developers and more technical users to access files they should have access to.
    3. Local-iTunes
      • On initial start-up iTunes will always load the iTunes Store, by default, which can take a while to load. This tweak forces iTunes to point at the local library instead to improve speed performance.

Hopefully soon, the list of scripts will multiply from three, to many. For now, the Web site is less than a day old, and it's off to a good start!

Sources: MacScripz via Jay Deuskar
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 08-07-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Finally Cloak & Dagger was way overdue. Battery Improver works like a monster. But Local iTunes that already happens by default on my systems?

iPhone? More like MyPhone WaLLy3K's Avatar
    Thanks

Seems a little like a pretty version of this: https://github.com/mathiasbynens/dot...ob/master/.osx

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

But the Battery Improver it only works for Lion? That means that having Mountain Lion with 7hours of battery wont give me a 11 hours? lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pakitos View Post
    But the Battery Improver it only works for Lion? That means that having Mountain Lion with 7hours of battery wont give me a 11 hours? lol
    Where does it say it's only for Lion? It says 10.7 and up.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 08-07-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I am new to the mac, but are these scripts permenant or will i have to rerun the scripts after a restart?

iPhone? More like MyPhone KernelPad's Avatar
    Thanks

Any Mac Tweaks FOR the iPad?? Anyone? Appearance or Features

Thanks

I really missed the "and up" and I checked it twice WTF!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tampabuc2004 View Post
    I am new to the mac, but are these scripts permenant or will i have to rerun the scripts after a restart?
    They will last until you run the 'undo' scripts.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The 'Battery Improver' script only works on notebooks or does it work on iMacs too?

I mean, does it save the battery life of the Magic Mouse and/or the Bluetooth Keyboard?

Thanks

I didnt find any improvement using the Battery Improver

Green Apple
    Thanks

After i ran the Battery Improver Script, my desktop background change to the default galaxy background. If i change my desktop background, will it then alter the script from working the way it is?
    Last edited by Alveezy; 08-08-2012 at 03:49 AM.

Thanks

Looks like something all users should have..im on it!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yohu123 View Post
    The 'Battery Improver' script only works on notebooks or does it work on iMacs too?

I mean, does it save the battery life of the Magic Mouse and/or the Bluetooth Keyboard?
    I ran the apple script 'Battery Improver' and all it did was remove all my folders from the Desktop Background folder list but didn't remove 'com.apple.desktop.plist' from /Library/Preferences.

I checked via Finder.

Im running Mountain Lion on the 2011 iMac.

Am i missing something?

Should i manually remove com.apple.desktop.plist?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Southie's Avatar
    Thanks

I installed the 'Battery Improver' script today. My MacBook went from 100% charge to 34% in less than 30 minutes (it's running on 10.7) How do I uninstall it?

I've no idea why it's not working at all on mine since a few posters mentioned how well it's working for them. It also deleted my wallpaper. Any tips? If no one can help, then I'd rather uninstall it as it is draining my battery and I can't work like this. TIA.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I installed it and my battery life jumped up but it changed my desktop backgrounds. So I changed them back and now my battery life is going down quickly. I would advise you not installed this on your computer for now. I know on the site it says that they screen them before uploading but it seems like a lot of people are having issues with it...and right now there is no UNDO to download. I'm hoping a solution will come out soon.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    I installed it and my battery life jumped up but it changed my desktop backgrounds. So I changed them back and now my battery life is going down quickly. I would advise you not installed this on your computer for now. I know on the site it says that they screen them before uploading but it seems like a lot of people are having issues with it...and right now there is no UNDO to download. I'm hoping a solution will come out soon.
    Alright, for those of you having issues, please contact me directly, either on twitter or email me, so we can get them resolved. General feedback for the tweak is positive, there must be conflicts on some systems.

iPhone? More like MyPhone WaLLy3K's Avatar
    Thanks

All the Battery Tweak does is remove com.apple.Desktop.plist which in turn deletes your wallpaper. It shouldn't cause any problems if it's deleted, aside from you needing to reset your wallpaper(s).

It should have as much effect on battery life as creating a new user account and using it (Read: Next to none) unless you have corrupt plists, in which case the kernel may spend excessive CPU time trying to "read" it.