Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is OS X Mountain Lion Crippling Laptop Battery Life?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Is OS X Mountain Lion Crippling Laptop Battery Life?

Shortly after OS X Mountain Lion was released, a number of users began posting on Apple Support Communities that their laptops had started experiencing inexplicable battery life issues. Specifically, battery life is being drained exponentially faster with Mountain Lion.

Given the millions of new Lion tamers out there (my pet name for the bazillion people that nabbed Mountain Lion immediately upon its release), the criticisms are loud and growing louder with each passing day.

Most of those reporting the issue say that battery life has dropped by one or two hours. Other cases are more severe, with claims of laptops dying after just two hours of operation with OS X Mountain Lion installed. Making matters worse, hotter machines have even been reported.

Apple is now aware of the issue and is believed to be investigating the matter in hopes of quickly locating and resolving the offending culprit.

Source: Apple Support Communities

happening to me, and temperature hotter than my recent Lion OS.

you have a SSD? i do, and i see no batery issues with mine.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I can't tell, cos Apple stupidly removed the "Time Remaining" Battery view in the Menu Bar.

Thanks

I had the beta of and there were no issues with my battery life.
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    I can't tell, cos Apple stupidly removed the "Time Remaining" Battery view in the Menu Bar.
    Really dude???

I'm having heat and battery problems with my 2011 13-inch MacBook Pro ever since I downloaded and updated. I really hope they fix this in 10.8.1

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    That time remaining was about as useful as the miles to E in my car. A nice reference but not really accurate

And my 2007 iMac has no
    Battery issues after updating to mountain lion!
    Last edited by bmwraw8482; 08-03-2012 at 05:49 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Mine doesn't have any issues at all.
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

Well, I installed it on my 27" iMac I noticed a huge difference in temperature. Back with Lion my machine ran hot, even on cold days. Now it runs cool and smooth. I obviously can't report on battery life since it doesn't have one, but I'm pretty happy with Mountain Lion so far.

My guess is that all the iCloud-based apps and push notifications are draining battery in the background.

Using the new mac book pro 512GB 16GB ram and not having any issue at all running great!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Not having issues with mine at all loving it.

I've been using 10.8 since the GM release on my Mid 2010 MBP (Upgraded with a Samsung 830 SSD) and haven't had any issues. In fact, I believe the estimated time remaining has become more accurate as it'll say I'm going to have 5 hours of life with Safari/Mail/Messages/Adium/Steam/iTunes and a few other apps open… and Steam isn't particularly friendly on the battery life, I've found.

Closing Steam, it estimates about 6 hours battery life on 97%. Lion wasn't that good, in comparison.

No problem on an early 11 MBP 13"

I did a fresh install thou and its very cool, been using it now for 3hours and still 62% left (4 hours)

I got rid of the default battery indicator and choose to use iStatMenu for battery which shows the remaining time.

when i do my school stuff (typing and taking notes) its fine but when i watch youtube and stuff like that it gets mad hot

Quote Originally Posted by ajo610 View Post
    when i do my school stuff (typing and taking notes) its fine but when i watch youtube and stuff like that it gets mad hot
    Most laptops will do that due to the very limited cooling setups.

Quote Originally Posted by iTouch-Warrior View Post
    Well, I installed it on my 27" iMac I noticed a huge difference in temperature. Back with Lion my machine ran hot, even on cold days. Now it runs cool and smooth.
    Hmmm this little bit info I may just go ahead and grab it this weekend. I have 27in i5 iMac.

HELL yea butt raping my battery

Quote Originally Posted by ajo610 View Post
    It has to do with Flash. That's not an Apple or Mountain Lion problem/fault.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

I have no issue , LOVING IT on my Dual Boot Machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast