+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Kodak Wins Partial Victory Over Apple in Patent War

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Allan Gropper recently ruled that Apple does not own two of ten disputed Kodak patents that the photography company plans to sell at auction this month. According
    Thanks

Default Kodak Wins Partial Victory Over Apple in Patent War

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Allan Gropper recently ruled that Apple does not own two of ten disputed Kodak patents that the photography company plans to sell at auction this month. According to Bloomberg, in his ruling Judge Gropper said Apple took too long to assert its ownership claims in a suit that Kodak brought against the Cupertino California company for allegedly trying to disrupt a patent sell off schedule for next week.

Kodak was approved in July to sell over 1,000 patents under the terms of bankruptcy protection agreements but Apple claimed ownership of some of the imaging technology invented when the two companies partnered to create the QuickTake digital camera. The patents at hand came supposedly came from Kodak’s so-called “digital-capture” portfolio. This decision is seen as a partial victory for Kodak as the company would be forced to delay the much-needed patent sale.

According to Judge Gropper “if Apple’s claims proceed despite their unreasonably delayed commencement, Kodak might have to go back to the drawing board for ways to fund its case.” The judge ended up denying Kodak’s motions for summary judgments on the remaining eight claims but left the door open for a follow-up request if the company comes up with a “more complete record.”

One thing that did seem a bit interesting was the fact that Apple reportedly joined forces with Microsoft in bidding for Kodak’s patent portfolio and is expected to go up against a group of huge corporations led by Google, Samsung, LG, and HTC. Apple also recently lost a bid to move the court proceedings out of bankruptcy court and into a New York district court, a transfer that would have hindered Kodak’s upcoming patent auction.

We’ll have to wait and see what comes of the ordeal as these patents could be significant additions to any tech giant’s portfolio.

Source: Bloomberg

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Wow apple is up to its extreme!! Oh well they they own everything

Banned
    Thanks

I hope Apple dont get any of them as they will use them against the others where the others like to share.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I'm so tired of Apple suing everybody. As much as I love the products, Apple is still being super annoying.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow. To join with Microsoft, Apple must really want those patents!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Too bad a lot of Digital Photography patents are these days covered by FRAND protection. So whoever gets them has to keep licensing them and can't just take the patents and run, so to speak, they most likely can't block access to most of Kodaks portfolio and only advantage is in licensing them to other companies and increasing their FRAND income.

If you ask me the US Government should bail out Kodaks debts in exchange for making the patents in question public domain. That would eliminate this legal bickering over someone else "Toys".

Livin the iPhone Life Dark_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobh4 View Post
    Wow. To join with Microsoft, Apple must really want those patents!
    I agree but we already know that Microsoft likes to play fair. Since they did bail Apple out of bankruptcy in the past. But I think we will see a huge rise from Windows this holiday season. I'm excited to see what they bring to the table.

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I'm so tired of Apple suing everybody. As much as I love the products, Apple is still being super annoying.
    There are companies that are worse than apple doing this. Apple is the biggest company in the world now. Anything that they do is under a microscope. These kinds of things have been going on for years. Now since tech has picked up so much in the last 10 years and the patent

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    There are companies that are worse than apple doing this. Apple is the biggest company in the world now. Anything that they do is under a microscope. These kinds of things have been going on for years. Now since tech has picked up so much in the last 10 years and the patent
    You make a valid point. Then I suppose I'm just tired of it being in the headlines all the time then lol. Carry on Apple.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    You make a valid point. Then I suppose I'm just tired of it being in the headlines all the time then lol. Carry on Apple.
    They're aggressive, which is a good thing, but also a bad thing... Apple must like the scent of the courtroom
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.