+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Airs New Genius Based Ads During Olympic Games Opening Ceremony

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Airs New Genius Based Ads During Olympic Games Opening Ceremony

As many of you may already know, the 2012 Olympic Games started today. With events such as the Olympics, television coverage is quite abundant and therefore so are commercials! In London’s opening ceremonies on Friday night, three new Apple commercials aired. Each of the commercials starred the same Apple Genius character in what seems to be the kickoff to a new ad campaign.

The new TV spots portrayed the services of an Apple Genius being called for in three different random locations: an airplane on final approach, an apartment, and a hotdog stand. Each of the commercials highlighted the knowledge of the Apple Genius in humerous ways while alluding to various products being used such as the iOS Cards app, iPhoto, and Keynote.

Unlike many of the recent Apple commercials, these don’t include catchy indie tunes and product close-ups, but instead feature a central character and a short storyline. This is different from the Siri-campaign which uses famous pop-culture icons. The spots all aired on Friday to introduce a new face in the “Apple Genius” and focus more on services and software rather than hardware, which is seemingly a new stance for the company.

You can find the commercials below with their respective descriptions from Apple’s YouTube channel:

Mayday

An Apple Genius shows a fellow passenger how easy it is to make great home movies with iMovie.
    All before the tray tables are returned to their upright position.

Labor Day

An Apple Genius shows a soon-to-be father all the amazing things he can make with iPhoto.

Basically

An Apple Genius points out there are a lot of things that separate a Mac
    from an ordinary computer, like great apps that come built in.

Source: Apple (YouTube)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ah one of the greatest aspects of the BBC and their coverage; no adverts, ever!

For American viewers, how frequent are the advertising breaks?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to baRRy boRRis For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (07-28-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baRRy boRRis View Post

(Not watching, so I can't comment on advert breaks)

That's because the 'beeb' is funded by your TV tax. So you've 'pre-paid' for that content. And you can look at that as either 'state funded propaganda' or TV biased by persons who must answer to the people (as opposed to 'corporate funded propaganda answering to share-holders with no real responsibility to the public at large'.)

I'm not a huge fan of corporate-funded propaganda not effectively answerable to the people. Our sad state of 'news' in the US is a glowing result.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

I find the BBC a lot less unbiased than private firms like Fox. Propaganda is a bit far lol.

I don't mind pay £10 a month for no ads.

The opening ceremony was bloody brilliant! I wasn't bothered too much with the Olympics but got really in to it now! Just watching the boxing now!

Thanks

These apple ads are HORRIBLE. Apple is really missing SJ...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So Apple want to portray their users as people who can't use their products or even buy their products without the help of a "genius"...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I really don't understand the basically add lol... You can buy a regular pc and hackintosh it. Comes with all the apps lol..

iPhone? More like MyPhone ccoltmanm's Avatar
    Thanks

Very frequent. On topic, these suck. That's a good thing, because I like Windows better than Apple. I don't dislike Apple though.

I think they suck because despite mentioning a list of apps and products, they don't show how easy it is to use them, nor how they "just work." They do show an example of how easy it is to get help, but you have to pay for that after an extent.

Windows fairly recent campaign about how at-home mothers can do simple photo editing and kids can do video editing is solid compared to this.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baRRy boRRis View Post

Maybe once every half our. But honestly, I don't feel they are that bad. I couldn't see myself wishing that I would have an uninterrupted viewing of the olympic games, lol. Something to break up the monotony. I agree it's nice for other shows.

Question for you: without adverts, how are the networks paid? In the US these channels are free over the airwaves. I assume you HAVE to pay for them in the UK? Or they have figured out another clever way to make money off their watchers, surely?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Question for you: without adverts, how are the networks paid? In the US these channels are free over the airwaves. I assume you HAVE to pay for them in the UK? Or they have figured out another clever way to make money off their watchers, surely?
    It's only the BBC channels which don't have adverts. They only time you really notice it is for Sports. No adverts during sports are amazing.

We have to pay a TV licence which is, I think, about £120 a year ($180).

All channels that aren't BBC have adverts though. Because we pay the licence, by law, the BBC are not allowed to advertise any brands.

The funniest thing about the BBC is when they show American shows like The Simpsons is only 20mins long and a lot of the shows do a recap after adverts but on the BBC they do the recap straight after they actually done it! Lol
    Last edited by KraXik; 07-28-2012 at 02:03 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Whoever came up with these ads is no genius.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fire30 View Post
    I really don't understand the basically add lol... You can buy a regular pc and hackintosh it. Comes with all the apps lol..
    That's not simple, not too many people know how to do that.

Thanks

lol 2/3 of the news in america is owned by an insane australian, so no one wins....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ByteArt View Post
    lol 2/3 of the news in america is owned by an insane australian, so no one wins....
    Does he own CNN? NBC? ABC? CBS? PBS? Seriously, what hole did you pull 2/3 out of? If it was 2/3 we might actually have much less biased news.

Thanks

What happened with the great ideas, concepts, colors, etc? This sounds and looks desperate. Is this Chiat Day's work? Looks like average PC company triyng to catch up people...