+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OS X Mountain Lion Off to a Good Start

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default OS X Mountain Lion Off to a Good Start

According to AllThingsD, OS X Mountain Lion is already accounting for over 3% of web traffic coming from the Mac platform just 48 hours after its launch. The data comes from analytics firm, Chitika, which is showing that Mountain Lion’s share has risen quickly from roughly 0.25% prior to the public launch. Ina Fried from AllThingsD said the following regarding the matter:

Moreover, based on Apple’s June 2012 announcement that there are currently 66 million Mac users in the wild, we can infer that 2.11 million Mac users downloaded OS X Mountain Lion in the past 48 hours,” Chitika said. “Using this figure, if we assume that 90 percent of these users paid to upgrade, OS X Mountain Lion generated $38 million in revenue for Apple in the past 48 hours.
    Obviously, adoption for those who closely follow Apple news has been even higher. Just yesterday, 9to5Mac reported that over half of its visitors who were using a Mac were already on OS X Mountain Lion after hitting just 10% even right before the public launch.

Apple boasted about one million downloads of Mac OS X Lion in the first day of availability but the company still hasn’t released any official figures for OS X Mountain Lion as of right now. With Apple previously released updated models of its popular MacBook Pro and MacBook Air lines last month, all users who purchased the new laptops were made eligible for Apple’s Up-to-Date program. This program offers a free upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion. Apple has been reportedly having some issues with the program as only a number of users are receiving redemption codes that allow them to download OS X Mountain Lion. The issues will probably be ironed out sooner rather than later though so it shouldn’t be a problem for much longer.

Overall, with OS X Mountain Lion’s slew of new features and the attractive price point of $19.99, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see more and more people update to the new Mac operating system.

Source: 9to5Mac, AllThingsD

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

The biggest thing that really gets people to buy is that $19.99 price tag. Although Mountain Lion isn't a huge upgrade from Lion (to me, with the way I use my MBA) in my own personal usage and experience...$19.99 is a cheap price for an OS upgrade.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    The biggest thing that really gets people to buy is that $19.99 price tag. Although Mountain Lion isn't a huge upgrade from Lion (to me, with the way I use my MBA) in my own personal usage and experience...$19.99 is a cheap price for an OS upgrade.
    I agree. Apple charges a lot for their products, but they "reward" their customers with incredibly cheap OS upgrades. It would cost +/- $100. To upgrade a Windows based computer.

People may be upset with the long "up-to-date" times, but it really is worth the wait.

Thanks

Yup, it's true. Although, I am upset that the free upgrade to Mountain Lion only applies to those who purchased a Mac from June 11. I purchased my MBA only a couple months ago, which I think isn't fair that I still have to pay for the upgrade when I haven't had my Mac that long either. But oh well lol, like I said at least it's only $20.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

My thoughts exactly.

Thanks

For a minute, I thought it said Chiquita, not Chitika...lol!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yup, it's true. Although, I am upset that the free upgrade to Mountain Lion only applies to those who purchased a Mac from June 11. I purchased my MBA only a couple months ago, which I think isn't fair that I still have to pay for the upgrade when I haven't had my Mac that long either. But oh well lol, like I said at least it's only $20.
    June 11 or 12?

Thanks

I'm not sure 11 or 12. I got mine a couple months prior to that so, that's all I know.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

One terrible thing about the upgrade is the limited hardware allowed to use AirPlay, which was VERY POORLY advertised. I dropped the $20 specifically for that feature, only to find out that the feature is not supported on my late 2010 MacBook Pro. As that is the most significant feature for most people I've spoken to, Apple should make it very clear of the hardware specs.

Thanks

Always good to read everything on the site before making a purchase.

Apple - OS*X Mountain Lion - Read the technical specifications.

I agree, Apple doesn't make it easy to find this info though.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,620 Times in 5,899 Posts

I agree, Apple doesn't make it easy to find this info though.
    That's the truth, my iMac is a late 2010 model, when I installed ML on my new MBP, I thought how cool to have AirPlay Mirroring on the iMac also... "no bueno". I had to spend at least 20 minutes searching to find out it's not comparable with my machine. Still love the update though.

Thanks

Yup. I have a 2011 MBA and 2010 MBP, I'm glad to just have at least one that does AirPlay.