+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Ramping Up Legal Fight Over Amazon's Use of 'Appstore'

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple, which had previously sued Amazon over the digital retailer's use of the term "App Store," is said to be aggressively ramping up its fight to become the only nominal
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple Ramping Up Legal Fight Over Amazon's Use of 'Appstore'

Apple, which had previously sued Amazon over the digital retailer's use of the term "App Store," is said to be aggressively ramping up its fight to become the only nominal "app store" operator of the digital age.

This week, new insights have emerged with regard to the latest court documents filed by Apple in response to Amazon's deployment of the "app store" moniker in their established mobile app storefront. Specifically, Apple says Amazon is trying to trick and confuse consumers.

"Amazon has steadfastly refused to produce documents and information regarding the use of 'for Android' in connection with its service..." Apple says in the filing, arguing that "appstore" should only be used by Amazon if it reads "Appstore for Android."

"Amazon has failed to produce a witness who can testify regarding the decision not to use 'for Android' with the Amazon Appstore Service outside the context of the Kindle Fire, despite clear evidence that Amazon frequently does not use 'for Android' in conjunction with its Service," the argument from Apple goes on to say.

If this story sounds familiar, that's because it is. Last year, Apple first filed suit against Amazon regarding this specific matter. Apple maintains that the "App Store" trademark is being misused, although it should be noted that Apple is still pursuing the trademark itself and doesn't yet control it.

Source: Gigaom

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

App Store is far too generic of a name to be trademarked. Something like "iApp Store" or using the currently trademarked name "Apple Store" currently in use for retail items could suffice for Apple. As much as I enjoy their technology, wanting to own names of things that encompass more than the Apple branding is just rediculous.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It's official, Apple's gone sue happy. Isn't this kinda ridiculous? I mean you shouldn't be able to trademark something that vague... App Store is the equivalent of me trademarking Shoe Store and Burger Joint. If it was like iOS App Store or Mac App Store that's fine, but App Store is pushing it...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    It's official, Apple's gone sue happy. Isn't this kinda ridiculous? I mean you shouldn't be able to trademark something that vague... App Store is the equivalent of me trademarking Shoe Store and Burger Joint. If it was like iOS App Store or Mac App Store that's fine, but App Store is pushing it...
    Agreed on the iOS App Store suggestion but where Apple is coming from on titles is showing we came up with it so you should try the same as did Android with Android Market and others including BlackBerry and Windows

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

Hopefully more people stop buying their products because of how they continue to act. I hope their earnings continue to fumble after this quarter's result. I'm sure they won't, but I can hope. Someone needs to put them in their place for this bs.

Quote Originally Posted by thatboy12345 View Post
    Agreed on the iOS App Store suggestion but where Apple is coming from on titles is showing we came up with it so you should try the same as did Android with Android Market and others including BlackBerry and Windows
    Applications have been around for a long time. App is an abbreviation of application, nothing more, nothing less. Phones run applications just like computers. You go to an online store to buy more applications. Thus the name everyone in the world would come up with...app(lication) store.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Can you download apps for iOS? No.
    Why would it have to say App Store for Android? I don't see Apple change their name to AppStore for iOS.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

How dare Amazon use a made up abbreviation of the word "application" that existed before Apple began using the term.
    Soon they'll go after Granny Smith or Pink Lady.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Hillefied's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    How dare Amazon use a made up abbreviation of the word "application" that existed before Apple began using the term.
    Soon they'll go after Granny Smith or Pink Lady.
    That is so true. the term "app" goes back much further than Amazon as it was the shorthand abbreviation for programs running on computers as previously mentioned in another post. It wasn't until around 2010 that major news sources and journalist started using "App" to term mobile programs on smartphones and tablets.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 729 Posts

There just trying to get as much as they can get that they can try and limit there future competitors. I understand. I mean if they got it. No one can use app store. They can't use Market store thing for android. They'd have to call it something else. And app store just sounds a little more professional which in hope brings customers in.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Don't be surprised if apple sues everyone on this comment board for misusing the word appstore in a sentence.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is absolutely bonkers. It says in the article they don't even have a trademark to sue over. But besides that, as others have said, we should not be allowed to trade mark something so generic. Like another user posted, "Shoe Store". Wtf

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

How dare Apple not use the word AppStore for iOS!
    Keep trying to download apps on iTunes for my Kindle! (sarcasm if someone do not get the joke here).

Thanks

Technically Apple is with in their own right to defend the AppStore name since as far as I know they were the first to use the name so they therefore own that name and have the right to sue anyone who misuses it. How is this any different to the Saurik vs cydia.com law suit where Jay has (or is in the process of) going to court to sue the owners of cydia.com because Jay feels they are misusing the Cydia trademark...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaStA819 View Post
    Hopefully more people stop buying their products because of how they continue to act. I hope their earnings continue to fumble after this quarter's result. I'm sure they won't, but I can hope. Someone needs to put them in their place for this bs.

Applications have been around for a long time. App is an abbreviation of application, nothing more, nothing less. Phones run applications just like computers. You go to an online store to buy more applications. Thus the name everyone in the world would come up with...app(lication) store.
    Well I understand that it's just when someone say something like look it up in the AppStore or something related to that it's most of the time pointing to Apple they have the rights to put the word 'App' in front but as a combination 'AppStore' they won't allow

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Wow. Apple is going to start suing farmers next.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    Technically Apple is with in their own right to defend the AppStore name since as far as I know they were the first to use the name so they therefore own that name and have the right to sue anyone who misuses it. How is this any different to the Saurik vs cydia.com law suit where Jay has (or is in the process of) going to court to sue the owners of cydia.com because Jay feels they are misusing the Cydia trademark...
    It is different in a very large way. Cydia is not a common word and as you said has been trade marked. App Store cannot be trademarked as it is such a vague/common combination of words. Tell me when you heard the word Cydia prior to Cydia coming out for iOS.

Banned
    Thanks

Apple already sued Amazon over the App Store name last year and lost so why are they doing it again now?
    They already lost. I'm guessing they have enough money to waste so they will waste it on another losing lawsuit.

SEE APPLE FANBOYS, THIS is what happens when you give Apple money and buy their products.

Livin the iPhone Life Dark_Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks

Why do people think Apple made the word App? Lol so stupid. Apple thinks they can start owning words they didn't make up now... It will never end but the problem is judges will allow it just cuz they are as ignorant.

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 729 Posts

Let's understand it has nothing to do with "App" it's "AppStore"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Let's understand it has nothing to do with "App" it's "AppStore"
    Maybe they can trademark "AppStore", but App Store I don't think they can do anything about. I don't know how that stuff works, but I still think it's stupid for them to try suing over such a vague thing like that. It is Apple after all so it is definitely not a surprise.
    Last edited by MaStA819; 07-26-2012 at 10:09 PM.