+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Ramping Up Legal Fight Over Amazon's Use of 'Appstore'

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Originally Posted by tongxinshe I don't see Apple trying to own the word "App". No one can own any word, even if he totally invented it. Apple is only trying
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tongxinshe View Post
    I don't see Apple trying to own the word "App". No one can own any word, even if he totally invented it. Apple is only trying to register a brand name called "App Store". With their contributions to the birth of the trend of universally using "app" and the fact that they are the first one using that name also made it well known, I think they have rights to ask for that. It's the same as Bunger King claiming the brand "Burger King" in restaurant realm.

The reason Apple sues Amazon before it is granted the brand, is that Amazon has shown very obvious evil intention of taking free ride and/or confusing some customers.
    "Burger King" is a lot different though. Burger King when talking about restaurants, does not logically make sense unless you are talk about the restaurant. App Store is just describing a store where Apps are sold.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    "Burger King" is a lot different though. Burger King when talking about restaurants, does not logically make sense unless you are talk about the restaurant. App Store is just describing a store where Apps are sold.
    Not too much different, "Burger King" means "the king of the restaurants who sells burger". Anyway, it's just a brand name to avoid duplication. Apple is not against the name of "Kindle App Store" or "Android App Store".

I won't be surprised if Apple isn't eventually granted the brand. But, I totally side with their move to sue Amazon, even though they don't necessarily have enough legal bullets. Amazon's evil intention is simple TOO OBVIOUS.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    Okay even if I misunderstood you, and that's what you mean, you are still completely wrong. The term "app" was in pretty common usage before Apple made their App Store. Just because Apple made more people know of it, doesn't mean they own the word. It's still, just a word. Here is a little proof for you, since obviously you need to be convinced. One of the most common usage for the term "app" was in "web apps". The iOS "App Store" was created in July of 2008. So here is a simple Google search for "web apps" that only includes pages from before 2008.
    Google Search

Nice comeback with the triple-face palm

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123