+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung: Apple Wouldn't Have Sold a Single iPhone Without Our Technology

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung: Apple Wouldn't Have Sold a Single iPhone Without Our Technology

After Apple demanded that Samsung pay $2.5 billion for patent infringement, Samsung retaliated by arguing that its Cupertino rival “could not have sold a single iPhone without the benefit of Samsung’s patented technology.” In a recent brief filed to the courts this week, Samsung points to its more than two decades of cellphone research and accuses Apple of hypocrisy, copying design concepts from Sony. Samsung also points towards evidence from 2006, countering Apple’s suggestions that the original iPhone marked a huge change in the Korean firm’s design approach. According to the Samsung filing:

Apple‘s own internal documents show this. In February 2006, before the claimed iPhone design was conceived of, Apple executive Tony Fadell circulated a news article that contained an interview of a Sony designer to Steve Jobs, Jonathan Ive and others. In the article, the Sony designer discussed Sony portable electronic device designs that lacked “excessive ornamentation” such as buttons, fit in the hand, were “square with a screen” and had “corners [which] have been rounded out.
    As for Apple’s evidence which suggests that Samsung made a complete design switch hen the iPhone was launched, Samsung doesn’t seem to take too kindly to it. The company insists that “prior to the iPhone’s announcement January 2007, Samsung was already developing numerous products and models with the same design features that Apple now claims were copied from the iPhone.” An image shared by AllThingsD shares Apple’s point of view on this stance.

According to the Samsung filing:

In the summer of 2006, Samsung began designing its next generation of mobile phones, based on the market trend of ever-increasing screen size” Samsung continues. “At that time, Samsung‘s designers envisioned a basic design: a simple, rounded rectangular body dominated by a display screen with a single physical button on the face … [as] documents confirm, Samsung independently developed the allegedly copied design features months before Apple had even announced the iPhone. It did not switch its design direction because of the iPhone.
    Samsung even went as far as saying that it was working on a grid-icon GUI back in the summer and fall of 2006 as well, sharing concepts from the time. It continued this portion of the argument by concluding that “contrary to Apple‘s cherry-picked “pre” and “post” iPhone choices of Samsung‘s phones, Samsung designed and developed large screen smartphones before the iPhone as well as bar type phones, sliders, and folder phones.” Samsung also stated the following:

Apple relied heavily on Samsung’s technology to enter the telecommunications space. Samsung supplies the flash memory, main memory, and application processor for the iPhone. Apple also uses patented Samsung technology that it has not paid for. This includes standards-essential technology required for Apple‘s products to interact with products from other manufacturers, and several device features that Samsung developed for use in its products.
    The South Korean electronics maker ended its argument by saying that “Samsung does not need or want to copy.” The argument between the two tech giants is far from over as of right now but hopefully the court will help reach a decision so innovation in the industry can continue at a normal pace.

Source: AllThingsD, The Wall Street Journal via BGR

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well before the iPhone, phones looked the same & after the iPhone phones still look the same, only difference now is Apple sue over it instead of just getting on with counting there billions.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

based on that logic samsung someone who buys your tv would have to license your patents too? (in response to quote 3)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    if they began designing their "next generation of mobile phones" in the summer of 2006, how could apple have copied their idea, hammered all the software and hardware, and product launch 6 months later? during the development of the iphone would apple not have had to consult with samsung about the parts needed for their device? strange plot holes but the story is spun in a direction people against apple are going to eat up. what about apple's earlier products with the same design? (from the 90's)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

samsung makes a very poignant argument.

Thanks

Wow so Apple managed to steal all that hardware from Samsung and did not ever pay a dime?! What? They made an agreement where Samsung made a profit? I'm confused... So you're saying Samsung could have told them to find another supplier? So what is the problem here?

It's a bit different to take someone's ideas and not pay a thing vs paying someone for a product, service or idea...

Apple needs to find a better company to deal with then shady *** Samsung. Just because you make processors and memory for phones does not mean you own the phones that use the processors. ******* ridiculous company that sounds like something from a mobster movie and not a company with any type of ethics.
    Last edited by Norb; 07-26-2012 at 05:59 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What about the iPad prototype from 2001? The look of the iPhone came from shrinking that design to a smaller form factor.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Man!!! this kind of business is the same for all other things look for the cars for example I don´t see any car manufacturer suing other marks as Hunday (copy of BMW) this is kind stylus one starts and others follow it, look for the watches how many copies of Rollex all over the world.
    this is a kind of Apple sick, they have better product or not, they must have surprise the customers and competitor always in each development that will be a difference quality and service or you buy a Hunday car because is just a copy of BMW?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

samsung speaks some truth, but it still copies.

Banned
    Thanks

Looks like the tiger is about to get a bite taken out of its ***.
    I hope Samsung go full on and sue Apple for all their stolen designs and losses.
    Apple NEED someone to sue them and win. I hope they sue for billions and make Apple go broke. Then hopefully we will get a good iPhone after that happens as its not happening now.
    I can predict the next iPhone will be a piece of crap compared to a Galaxy S2 as the Galaxy S1 kicks *** over the iPhone 4S and the Galaxy S3 is so far advanced than any iPhone on the market its in a class of its own.

I"m not a fanboy at all. I do like the iPhone after its jailbroken and heavily modded but the Android phones are better stock compared to a stock iPhone.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NakedFaerie For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (07-26-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hank197857 View Post
    samsung makes a very poignant argument.

Only if you believe that Apple actually didn't even have an iphone design until 2006 and then got the phone totally done within one year...which is complete horse****.

ModMyI mods, your comment system is messing up under chrome, before commenting all comments show, after commenting only 1-2 comments show.
    Last edited by Orby; 07-26-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Language, please.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    I"m not a fanboy at all.
    Lol. Whatever fanboy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KraXik For This Useful Post:

Eagleye (07-26-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Samsung does have a point but after all this time they mention? Wtf? Like you idiots could've sued apple when you guys noticed that they copied. Then the idiots mention it when apple sues them then they mention it. Stupid Samsung.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Apple NEED someone to sue them and win. I hope they sue for billions and make Apple go broke. Then hopefully we will get a good iPhone after that happens as its not happening now.

I"m not a fanboy at all.
    Yeah, because we all know that when companies "go broke" they spend even more money to make a better product for the consumer. Your logic, Mr. Fanboy, is just as good as Obama's right now.
    Last edited by Eagleye; 07-26-2012 at 08:40 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Norb View Post
    Wow so Apple managed to steal all that hardware from Samsung and did not ever pay a dime?! What? They made an agreement where Samsung made a profit? I'm confused... So you're saying Samsung could have told them to find another supplier? So what is the problem here?

It's a bit different to take someone's ideas and not pay a thing vs paying someone for a product, service or idea...

Apple needs to find a better company to deal with then shady *** Samsung. Just because you make processors and memory for phones does not mean you own the phones that use the processors. ******* ridiculous company that sounds like something from a mobster movie and not a company with any type of ethics.
    well put. +1

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsung is the main provider of phone parts to all major phone companies so apple really shouldn't be suing them so much.

Thanks

People are so sue happy. Why would samsung sue?

Apple has a track record of this. From the hackintosh computers to cell phones. They have never been supportive of fair competition, and clearly samsung has closed the gap and Android itself has just done nothing but grow and evolve. Its now truly competitve and had a quality user experience.

Apple knows this. Its an American company filing suits against a Korean giant. Apple has the upper hand, and they take great advantage of that.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slimz For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (07-26-2012), znbl (07-27-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ventodivino View Post
    if they began designing their "next generation of mobile phones" in the summer of 2006, how could apple have copied their idea, hammered all the software and hardware, and product launch 6 months later? during the development of the iphone would apple not have had to consult with samsung about the parts needed for their device? strange plot holes but the story is spun in a direction people against apple are going to eat up. what about apple's earlier products with the same design? (from the 90's)
    +1 nice to see someone else on here who can think. peeps believe everything they read!

Thanks

Boo hoo hoo... now Samsung is acting like a 5 year old. Yes, many iPhones have Samsung parts. Why? Not because ONLY Samsung can make them. It is because they were the lowest bidder AND they know Apple will order millions of those said parts and Samsung will make millions off it. A few years ago, I read an article that Samsung makes more money selling parts to Apple then selling their own phones. I don't know about now but I do believe Apple is moving away from Samsung, letting old contracts expire and buying parts from competing manufactures.

If the iPhone didn't have Samsung parts, they would just have the same part but made by another company. And their claim that iPhone used Samsung patented technology that still hasn't paid for, then why don't they sue? That's what the courts are there for.

I bet this is why Samsung is crying now. Apple is using less and less Samsung parts. They will lose millions or perhaps billions because of this. I wouldn't be surprise if the next iPhone don't have any Samsung parts in them. Samsung is just so full of themselves thinking only they can make memory and processors. What a joke.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    based on that logic samsung someone who buys your tv would have to license your patents too? (in response to quote 3)
    I'll press the "Like" button if it's on Facebook =D