+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mid-2011 MacBook Airs Get Software Update With "Power Nap"

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default Mid-2011 MacBook Airs Get Software Update With "Power Nap"

A recent firmware update pushed out by Apple enables the Power Nap in certain MacBook Air models that were promised the feature previously. This specific feature was found missing when OS X Mountain Lion launched earlier in the day.

First outlined in June during Apple’s Worldwide Developer Conference, Power Nap enables Macs to stay up to date and allows for automatic backup of data while the machine is sleeping. The automatic refreshing of data also includes Time Machine and iCloud syncing. The best part about the feature is that it is reportedly silent and power efficient although compatibility is limited to Macs that have solid state drives. Apple described Power Nap in the following way:

When your Mac goes to sleep, it still gets things done with Power Nap.3 It periodically updates Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Notes, Photo Stream, Find My Mac, and Documents in the Cloud. When your Mac is connected to a power source, it downloads software updates and makes backups with Time Machine. While all that updating is going on, the system sounds are silent and no lights or fans come on, so nothing disturbs you. And when your Mac wakes up, it’s good to go.
    The problem with the feature missing was fixed after Apple decided to address the issue with a Software Update labeled “MacBook Air SMC Firmware Update 1.5 for the MacBook Air.” After the firmware is downloaded, users can access the Power Nap feature in the Energy Saver pane in System Preferences.

Source: TheNextWeb

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

Oddly enough I already have the powernap option in energy saver without this. Wonder if its because I had the developer previews and just updated to the gm. I noticed it kept the facebook integration which I activated in the dp.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stefman_R View Post
    Oddly enough I already have the powernap option in energy saver without this. Wonder if its because I had the developer previews and just updated to the gm. I noticed it kept the facebook integration which I activated in the dp.
    Well other people in the other posts say that they don't have the Facebook interrogation and they probably don't have the power nap.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xXR3H@NXx. View Post
    Well other people in the other posts say that they don't have the Facebook interrogation and they probably don't have the power nap.
    Yeah, Apple didn't include Facebook integration. Only twitter. I was kind of confused!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xXR3H@NXx. View Post
    Yes its obvious that no one should have fb integration yet but I wanted to point out that updating from the developer preview keeps it. Probably the same story with powernap though there was no evidence that it was working before this update.