Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: This is How Long it Will Take to Install OS X Mountain Lion

Thanks

Default This is How Long it Will Take to Install OS X Mountain Lion

As many of you probably already know, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion was released earlier today. The new Mac operating system which comes packed with a slew of new features that many users were looking forward to having quickly climbed the charts to be the number one download from the Mac App Store. With a price tag of $19.99 it’s quite the sell but for those of you who have not purchased it already, one question might be in mind. How long does it take to install?

Fortunately, a third-party Apple retailer in New York City named Tekserve, recently created a chart that may help answer your question. After clocking the average time each of their machines took to complete the update, they put together this chart for users to have an idea of what to expect. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Apple’s new MacBook Pros with Retina Display were by far the fastest to update with the new MacBook Air models closely behind. The installation speed is a direct result of the Solid State Drives these models come with, which can access data much faster than a standard magnetic hard drive.

For those of you sporting some of the older models, the chart is quick to point out that the iMac and earlier MacBook Pro models with standard hard drives took significantly longer to finish updating. Nonetheless, if you haven’t already upgraded, you can budget your time accordingly by using the chart as a reference.

Source: Tekserve via 9to5Mac

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Too bad it takes 12 hours to download on a "fast" internet connection! Everyone please pause your downloads - I want mine to finish faster ;-)

I downloaded it in about 20 minutes( I have business class internet at my house) . I installed it in about 35. Mid 2010 MBP.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Another reason why I'm glad I got my Air instead of the Pro (I got my Air before the retina Pro was released). SSD ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Another reason why I'm glad I got my Air instead of the Pro (I got my Air before the retina Pro was released). SSD ftw.
    What size SSD? They usually come with small amounts of space. How do you handle that?

Anyone update to ML with bootcamp and win7 already on lion? I am afraid the ML update will break win7/bootcamp

Quote Originally Posted by efi2nr View Post
    Anyone update to ML with bootcamp and win7 already on lion? I am afraid the ML update will break win7/bootcamp
    Upgrading Mac's operating system will not affect Windows whatsoever. That is the greatness of having a second partition.

My ML installation only took 35 min. Only problem I was so excited about updating I for got about my boot camp partition. I'll give it a look to see if its all working properly after all my updates are done

There were people that had problems with bootcamp after updating to lion from snow leopard. I need win7 for work so I was hoping someone would chime in that had updated to ML from lion with win7 BC

Thanks XXbig, anxiously awaiting your response

Why do you need Windows? I thought Mac's could do EVERYTHING??

I love how Crapple users talk up how great their Crapple is and how horrible Windows is, but then you catch them online talking about "OMG will this update mess up my ability to run Windows"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoronPolice View Post

I love how Crapple users talk up how great their Crapple is and how horrible Windows is, but then you catch them online talking about "OMG will this update mess up my ability to run Windows"
    Some people like to run both... No bid deal in that.

He says he uses for work and there is dedicated software for companies that doesnt work on OSX, even if not dedicated they arent that popular to have a multiplataform yet they are what their work needs, you get the point...

Green Apple
    Thanks

... says the person registered, reading, and posting on a site dedicated to the iPhone/iPod/iPad and other things Apple.

Fact of the matter is, although OS X is the superior operating system, there are applications and games out there whose developers only made available for Windows. Whether it's for work or for play, having Windows sometimes becomes necessary (either via Bootcamp or a virtual machine). There are many games I love available to download from GOG.com, but they're only available for Windows, which is the only reason I have a Bootcamp partition. This has nothing to do with Apple or any limitations of OS X, and everything to do with who develops what for what systems.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

At least your name is half right
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

MacBook Pro 2009 took 54 minutes...

It took about 2 hours to download then about 4 hours to install on my 21.5 in. (late 2011) iMac.

aw man, i got 2007 MBP...im going to hate the installing process, just downloaded it but I'm backing up my computer now...ill post my time later

Quote Originally Posted by DarellCraighead View Post
    Too bad it takes 12 hours to download on a "fast" internet connection! Everyone please pause your downloads - I want mine to finish faster ;-)
    i downloaded min in 10 minutes on my schools wifi....

i love how windows fan boys hang out on a apple community just to bash...
    Last edited by z3r01; 07-25-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Will be updating mine too, wonder how long it would take with this Score >

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Will be updating mine too, wonder how long it would take with this Score >

That's a pretty cool program there.

Took me about 35 min for it all
    Download and install. Gonna mess
    With it more tomorrow.