+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OS X Mountain Lion Launched - Many App Updates Follow

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Yesterday Apple announced that OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion would be released today and Apple followed through with their statement – OS X Mountain Lion has been released into the
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 735 Posts

Default OS X Mountain Lion Launched - Many App Updates Follow

Yesterday Apple announced that OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion would be released today and Apple followed through with their statement – OS X Mountain Lion has been released into the Mac App Store as a digital download for Mac computers running Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Mac OS X Lion for a cost of $19.99 and it's already the number one paid application in the Mac App Store!

The operating system sits at around 4GB and download times will vary upon Internet connection. As promised when Apple unveiled the operating system, OS X Mountain Lion comes with over 200 new features for Mac computers including Notification Center, new apps, dictation, and Notification Center.

Users can download the update and smoothly transition right from their Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Mac OS X Lion install to OS X Mountain Lion, but it is also a good idea for some people to do a fresh install of OS X Mountain Lion. For most people, it’s a great idea to make a bootable disk from OS X Mountain Lion so that you have an emergency reinstall route when you need it.

Apart from the update to the operating system, iWork, iLife, Apple Remote Desktop, and Xcode all have been updated with support for OS X Mountain Lion. All OS X Mountain Lion users are recommended to install these updates if they own these applications, as the updates will help with compatibility and user experience on the new operating system. All updates for these individual applications are free for existing users.

Sources: Mac App Store
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 07-25-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks
    If I am running the GM should I wipe and reinstall with a copy from the App Store? Is GM updatable?

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,063 Times in 4,205 Posts

Gonna probally git this Tonight.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Why would anyone want to "do a fresh install of Mac OS X Lion before starting the update."? If you want to do a "fresh" install, then do a fresh install of Mountain Lion - skip the additional installation of Lion first.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarellCraighead View Post
    Why would anyone want to "do a fresh install of Mac OS X Lion before starting the update."? If you want to do a "fresh" install, then do a fresh install of Mountain Lion - skip the additional installation of Lion first.
    Because lion has more features and the one highlighted in that paragraph is lions bootable options. If your os isn't working or is corrupt and you can't boot lion has built in features to help you download and install an os

Thanks

they are the same build mate, no need

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol... Apple releases a new OS yet people are saying do a fresh install of the previous.. are you serious. Might as well go back to Panther and work your way up.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

From what I've seen the GM is the same as the final release (same build number).

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I run Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 in VMWare Workstation 8.0.2 on a Windows 7 64-bit PC. Lion works not too bad, except for no native Quartz Extreme graphics acceleration.

Do you think Mountain Lion would be able to upgrade my Lion install? I think I will make a backup copy of the VM first and try it. Just curious if anyone's run Mountain Lion in VMWare on a PC yet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    Lol... Apple releases a new OS yet people are saying do a fresh install of the previous.. are you serious. Might as well go back to Panther and work your way up.
    Panther here i come

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

UGGGGG This is taking forever to download! Does anyone know if I can just download this once and then COPY to my Macbook and my sons Macbook without having to download on each one??

Because I do not see it in downloads only on Launchpad...

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 735 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dranon View Post
    UGGGGG This is taking forever to download! Does anyone know if I can just download this once and then COPY to my Macbook and my sons Macbook without having to download on each one??

As long as both computers use the same Apple ID, I don't see a problem with that since you would be able to download it for free on the second computer due to the fact that you already paid for it on the first computer.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 07-25-2012 at 12:25 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you make a bootable usb drive with this guide How To Create A Bootable OS X Mountain Lion USB Drive / DVD / SD Card The Easy Way | Redmond Pie it should work just fine just make sure you don't start the installation before it is done.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    As long as both computers use the same Apple ID, I don't see a problem with that since you would be able to download it for free on the second computer due to the fact that you already paid for it on the first computer.
    Yeah I know that I am allowed to I was asking HOW to SINCE I cannot see it in finder I do NOT know where to locate the file as I only see it downloading in Launchpad? I guess to be more accurate WHERE is the file so that I can transfer it?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah I know that I am allowed to I was asking HOW to SINCE I cannot see it in finder I do NOT know where to locate the file as I only see it downloading in Launchpad? I guess to be more accurate WHERE is the file so that I can transfer it?
    It is located in applications at least it was for me.

What's Jailbreak? TrueLoyaltyInc's Avatar
    Thanks

If I bought my retina MacBook pro last week how do I get this free? Any help would be appreciated!

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm all over this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattiano View Post
    It is located in applications at least it was for me.
    FOUND IT! I think what happened was it did not show up until it was finished downloading! Then it downloaded as "Install Mountain Lion" so it shoed up alphabetically as "i" instead of "m"