+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Fumbles in Q3 Earnings Report

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple Fumbles in Q3 Earnings Report

In recent weeks, MMi has consistently covered the wide range of industry analysts and Wall Street watchers who were aggressively revising their earnings estimates ahead of Apple's Q3 report today. And from the looks of it... they were all wrong.

Really wrong.

Aptly described immediately in the press as "a huge earnings miss," shares of AAPL plunged 5% in after-hours trading as the company revealed net income was $8.8 billion ($9.32 per share). Although that's up 21 percent from $7.3 billion ($7.79 per share) one year ago, Wall Street was looking for gains amounting to $10.37 a share. Revenue also rose 23 percent to $35 billion, but analysts were expecting to see $37.22 billion in revenue.

“I think people were prepared for a bit of a top-line miss, but this is a bit extreme,” Alex Gauna, an analyst at JMP Securities, tells CNBC. “Obviously, gross margin wasn’t enough to save the stock in this case.”

Apple sold 26 million iPhones in the quarter, at the low end of expectations. It sold 17 million iPads, beating forecasts. The company reported that its cash pile rose to $117 billion, an increase of $7 billion during the quarter.
    Rounding out the disappointment, Apple's fourth-quarter guidance was a letdown. It forecast $7.65 a share for earnings on revenue of $34 billion. Once again, analysts’ expectations were more optimistic - $10.22 a share earnings on revenue of $38 billion.

Source: CNBC

iPhone? More like MyPhone justinpotter81's Avatar
    Thanks

Such a travesty😰

Thanks

I bet there was a big fat grin on Larry Pages face when he heard that. Funny though how this is considered a huge miss and has people worried when all the other computer companies and phone companies besides Apple and Samsung are lucky to even be alive

But come october and a few more lawsuits and a shiny new iphone and Apple will resume its rule as supreme leader of the world... not that it isnt already though.
    Last edited by SnowLeo; 07-24-2012 at 03:43 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post

In recent weeks, MMi has consistently covered the wide range of industry analysts and Wall Street watchers who were aggressively revising their earnings estimates ahead of Apple's Q3 report today. And from the looks of it... they were all wrong.

Really wrong.

Source: CNBC
    I decided to be nice and edit my post

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow...what level on fanboism...
    Wipe the fanboi crud from your eyes, even Apple is predicting that next quarter will be about 18% below this one...

And with the state of the world economy day in and day out less and less people will be able to afford luxuries such as Apple products...

Sometimes it helps to read something else than modmyi you know...

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post
    Wow...what level on fanboism...
    Wipe the fanboi crud from your eyes, even Apple is predicting that next quarter will be about 18% below this one...

And with the state of the world economy day in and day out less and less people will be able to afford luxuries such as Apple products...

Sometimes it helps to read something else than modmyi you know...
    I really hope nobody only relies on the reporting here. Most of the time I don't even read the articles written here. I just click the source link and read that. Haha.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

How do they fumble when making significant profits like that? Sure analysts expected more but they still made huge profits

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is just what is wrong with the US Financial System. How can an increase in the Bottom Line be viewed as a failure? "It's a travesty because event though we made a ton of money, we wanted to make even more money."...Greedy bastards.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ncruzpr View Post
    This is just what is wrong with the US Financial System. How can an increase in the Bottom Line be viewed as a failure? "It's a travesty because event though we made a ton of money, we wanted to make even more money."...Greedy bastards.
    That's what I'm left confused about. They still profited by more than a BILLION dollars. "Man, we really missed the mark."

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Do you own AAPL stocks?
    If not then this does not concern you.

If you do own some AAPL stocks then I did not hear you complain when Apple earning is higher than projection and resulting with stock prices shot straight up. You've profit from these projections, don't complain when it does not go your way. It just make you look like a greedy bastard.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Do you own AAPL stocks?
    If not then this does not concern you.

If you do own some AAPL stocks then I did not hear you complain when Apple earning is higher than projection and resulting with stock prices shot straight up. You've profit from these projections, don't complain when it does not go your way. It just make you look like a greedy bastard.
    From your statement, it's apparent that you don't own AAPL stock. And since you don't own AAPL stock, your statement just makes you look like a fool. I think most people would rather be considered a greedy bastard than a fool any day.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

They actually did, but they can't claim/use (several billion worth) some funds that they are keeping overseas for the "tax liability" that may present itself if the route it back here. It's a tax dodge (legal) to keep money and cheat the shareholders. If I remember correctly, it would have made their last quarter profits northward of 10 billion.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    From your statement, it's apparent that you don't own AAPL stock. And since you don't own AAPL stock, your statement just makes you look like a fool. I think most people would rather be considered a greedy bastard than a fool any day.
    Actually I did own AAPL or else why I would even bother remembering the ticker symbol?
    I bought them low and sell them high.
    Bought them around June at around $580 and sold them at $600.
    This is one of my none volatile stock I keep in my portfolio.
    I am waiting for AAPL to fall further, hopefully down to the $575~$580 area would be great if it does I will pick some up.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Actually I did own AAPL or else why I would even bother remembering the ticker symbol?
    I bought them low and sell them high.
    Bought them around June at around $580 and sold them at $600.
    This is one of my none volatile stock I keep in my portfolio.
    I am waiting for AAPL to fall further, hopefully down to the $575~$580 area would be great if it does I will pick some up.
    who's your broker?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hank197857 View Post
    who's your broker?
    Jesus, that's what I want to know. If you have one, get a new one. That's some extremely poor investing.

I'm no expert in investing, that's why my money is with a broker who's had good success with other family members and I trust him, and he bought the bulk of my Apple stock about 3 1/2 years ago - it's done extremely well.
    Last edited by Slimz; 07-24-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I trade on my own through Charles Schwab & Co.
    This AAPL was only a small part of my portfolio, I have some real money makers and some "safe" ones I transfer the profits of my investments into.
    I bought these "safe" stocks instead of investing on real estate which is what my financial planner suggested, figure why not make some money and keep it in a fairly safe stock instead of buying a home and add another thing to worry about like how is housing market is doing.

My last reply in this subject matter, do not have to justify my investments to people. I do well enough to make a living moving money around.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz View Post
    I'm no expert in investing, that's why my money is with a broker who's had good success with other family members and I trust him, and he bought the bulk of my Apple stock about 3 1/2 years ago - it's done extremely well.
    I buy and sell short term, I do not sit on a stock.
    Sitting on it hoping it grows do not make enough money.
    Imagine if he bought when it dips and sold when it peaks in this 3.5 years, you would have a lot more money/stocks than you do now sitting on AAPL.
    Last edited by unison999; 07-24-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks

This AAPL was only a small part of my portfolio, I have some real money makers and some "safe" ones I transfer the profits of my investments into.
    I bought these "safe" stocks instead of investing on real estate which is what my financial planner suggested, figure why not make some money and keep it in a fairly safe stock instead of buying a home and add another thing to worry about like how is housing market is doing.

My last reply in this subject matter, do not have to justify my investments to people. I do well enough to make a living moving money around.
    Well I hope you had a large amount to invest on $580 a share to make any sort of real money.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

thanks for the tip.

Thanks

I buy and sell short term, I do not sit on a stock.
    Sitting on it hoping it grows do not make enough money.
    Imagine if he bought when it dips and sold when it peaks in this 3.5 years, you would have a lot more money/stocks than you do now sitting on AAPL.
    There has been selling and buying points in the 3.5 years, without question. It's hardly been sat on, I'm just referring to the bulk of the Apple I bought then has done extremely well. I have no complaints. It's given me quite a lot more freedom in my ability to invest, that's for sure. Lol.

I just personally see a longer term investment than makes pennies on the dollar, but when your spending that kind of money I see where you are coming from. That's all. I guess different schools.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz View Post
    Well I hope you had a large amount to invest on $580 a share to make any sort of real money.
    I don't keep too much of it, never more than 200 shares. Usually when I get to around 100 I sell it and invest in something I am interested in.