+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Seeks $2.5 Billion in Damages from Samsung

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
According to new court filings, Apple is looking to recover $2.5 billion in damages and more than $30 per device sold by Samsung for alleged patent infringement. Apple’s claims for
    Thanks

Default Apple Seeks $2.5 Billion in Damages from Samsung

According to new court filings, Apple is looking to recover $2.5 billion in damages and more than $30 per device sold by Samsung for alleged patent infringement. Apple’s claims for damages are revealed in its initial trial brief filed in court this week ahead of the company’s July 30 trial start date with Samsung. According to Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents, Apple believes Samsung’s alleged infringement the company $500 million in profits and $25 million in “reasonable royalty damages.” The document also argued that Samsung has been “unjustly enriched” by an assumed $2,525 billion in damages.

The Cupertino California company is saying that the largest part of those damages is related to Samsung’s alleged infringement of Apple’s design patents. The iPhone maker has asserted that it is entitled to $24 per Samsung device that violates Apple’s design patents or trade dress rights. This is compared to Apple’s move of seeking less for its technical software-based patents. The court filings also revealed that the Apple is entitled to $2.02 per unit in royalties for the “overscroll bounce” patent, $3.10 for the “scrolling API” patent, and $2.02 for the “tap to zoom and navigate” patent. It was pointed out that rather than collecting these royalties, Apple preferred that Samsung just simply work around Apple’s patent inventions.

The filings mentioned that "Apple looks forward to a trial that will vindicate its intellectual property rights. Samsung must play by the rules. It must invent its own stuff. Its flagrant and massive infringement must stop." That being said, Mueller still believes that Apple and Samsung will end up settling their differences outside of the courtroom. The filings revealed that Samsung offered Samsung a half-cent per standard-essential patent. According to Mueller, "the price for Samsung to pay will be a significant per-unit royalty rate, and it will have to accept restrictions in terms of which Apple patents it's allowed to use and in which ways. Samsung will ultimately get paid for its (standards-essential patents), but the amount will be tiny compared to what Samsung owes Apple if it chooses to license its non-SEPs. That's because Apple's patents make the difference between a $50 phone and a $500 device, while Samsung's patents cover a small part of what a $10 component of such products provides."

The heated legal battle between the two tech giants continue as both are unable to reach a compromise. Apple’s CEO Tim Cook even met with Samsung Vice Chairman Choi Gee-Sung last week, but even that attempt ended up being futile as the talks ended up going nowhere. We’ll have to wait and see what comes of the whole ordeal by being patient.

Source: FOSS Patents
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 07-24-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Screw Samsuck, copy other companies.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Really, that's the best comment you can come up with?
    from my rooted Droid DNA

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Why is the pictured blacked out in some areas?
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, we know that Apple never does that. They are as pure as the driven snow.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Every companies in the world have or had copy things from another companies, including Apple.

So ease off with the "RED" font.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

8-D
    Last edited by Airwaves182; 07-25-2012 at 12:34 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree Samsung sucks but the devices between "samsuck" and "crapple" are no where near similar in any out ward design. Not to mention the cameras, screens, etc are not really similar either. Next thing we know crapple is going to sue android for using 3.5/4" screens. Companies all need to get over themselves because none of them are as good as they all claim to be.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    First of all, these are ridiculous things to get such ENORMOUS amounts of money for. No one buys a phone for the bounce back overscroll effect. No one. Secondly, Apple has made a living off copying others so I don't want to hear it Metallica.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow what a load of BS

Green Apple
    Thanks

Did Apple have something of their own?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i don't see apple copying off other companys. apple has not made a living off it breezer23. so show me the proof. get your facts before you say anything.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickhaz9 View Post
    i don't see apple copying off other companys. apple has not made a living off it breezer23. so show me the proof. get your facts before you say anything.
    Pretty much every app that apple makes is a copy of something some one else has done on either the same or different platform.