+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Mac Owners Can Download Mountain Lion at No Cost

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    Thanks

Default New Mac Owners Can Download Mountain Lion at No Cost

Along with several OS X Mountain Lion announcements at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference last month, the Cupertino California company announced an Up-to-Date program that allowed any customer who purchased a Mac on or after June 11 to receive a free upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion upon its public release. With the Mac App Store being the only method of being released, the free upgrade is being delivered a redemption code for the store.

Although the company has yet to officially announce it, a move they probably won’t do until OS X Mountain Lion is launched, the company’s Up-to-Date online application went live for a little while earlier in the day before it was taken down. Users were asked to enter their date and location of purchase for the qualifying Mac, being forced to fill out personal contact information and enter the serial numbers of the machines eligible for the free upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion. Once all information had been submitted, Apple was generating a reference number for the claim and the actual redemption code was being delivered via email. The redemption code was being sent out as a password-protected PDF attachment with a second email containing the password for opening the PDF.

Those who attempted to redeem the OS X Mountain Lion code in the Mac App Store were not given access to the update; however the operating system has yet to go live in the store. The people who tried to put in the code they received ended up having the Mac App Store yield an error noting that it is “not recognized as a valid code.” OS X Mountain Lion will be released later this month with hints suggesting that it will be released this Wednesday, July 25th.

Source: Apple

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

With the Mac App Store being the only method of being released

LOL

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I consider getting a new computer 1-12 months. I think my new mac deserves the upgrade even though i got it 4 months ago its still new to me... i believe spending that much money deserves a free upgrade...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well it looks official on their site http://www.apple.com/osx/
    And the free upgrade notice for new mac users has been on there for over a week.

Yet another inaccurate bit of reporting.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    With the Mac App Store being the only method of being released

LOL
    And your point is...?

OSX is Mac-only (hackintosh aside), therefore it is cheaper for everyone to download it and install via appstore and if you so much desire, you then can burn it to DL-DVD and archive for further use.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

Thanks

Sounds like a great gesture to me. Apple didn't have to give it away..much appreciated!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    I consider getting a new computer 1-12 months. I think my new mac deserves the upgrade even though i got it 4 months ago its still new to me... i believe spending that much money deserves a free upgrade...
    +1

Even though mines is from Nov 2011.. i spent $1,800 for my MBP.. at least a discount would be cool, It's less than a year old!!

I love and hate apple!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pegitt View Post
    Well it looks official on their site http://www.apple.com/osx/
    And the free upgrade notice for new mac users has been on there for over a week.

Yet another inaccurate bit of reporting.
    Yes, there is a section for it, but it won't let you do it.

Thanks

My new MBA greatly appreciates this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n0id View Post
    +1

Even though mines is from Nov 2011.. i spent $1,800 for my MBP.. at least a discount would be cool, It's less than a year old!!

I love and hate apple!
    It’s $20. They’re shouldn't be any complaining about a major software upgrade of this price. Stop complaining. You don’t have to upgrade if you don't want to. Lion will still continue to be on your computer if you don’t upgrade.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    It’s $20. They’re shouldn't be any complaining about a major software upgrade of this price. Stop complaining. You don’t have to upgrade if you don't want to. Lion will still continue to be on your computer if you don’t upgrade.
    The thing is its not a significant update at all. It's basically just apps and a notification center.

Thanks

The thing is its not a significant update at all. It's basically just apps and a notification center.
    Will you be able to get those apps and notification center without upgrading to ML? That’s pretty significant if you want those updated and improved functionalities. Built in sharing to Facebook and twitter are huge too. Airplay mirroring? I would’ve paid the $20 just for that feature alone.
    Last edited by Scotty Manley Silberhorn; 07-24-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks

Not sure if this deserved a post considering almost every update by mac allows new buyers to do this

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Will you be able to get those apps and notification center without upgrading to ML? That’s pretty significant if you want those updated and improved functionalities. Built in sharing to Facebook and twitter are huge too. Airplay mirroring? I would’ve paid the $20 just for that feature alone.
    based on that logic you have to buy parallels or windows because you can't run .exes on your mac. your logic is "if you can't get a feature without updating or buying something it makes it worth the price"

Thanks

based on that logic you have to buy parallels or windows because you can't run .exes on your mac. your logic is "if you can't get a feature without updating or buying something it makes it worth the price"
    in fact that’s exactly what I did so I can run .exe files. I paid for it because I needed/wanted it, it was worth the price.