+ Reply
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: New Mac Owners Can Download Mountain Lion at No Cost

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,865
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 121 Times in 106 Posts

    Default New Mac Owners Can Download Mountain Lion at No Cost


    Along with several OS X Mountain Lion announcements at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference last month, the Cupertino California company announced an Up-to-Date program that allowed any customer who purchased a Mac on or after June 11 to receive a free upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion upon its public release. With the Mac App Store being the only method of being released, the free upgrade is being delivered a redemption code for the store.

    Although the company has yet to officially announce it, a move they probably won’t do until OS X Mountain Lion is launched, the company’s Up-to-Date online application went live for a little while earlier in the day before it was taken down. Users were asked to enter their date and location of purchase for the qualifying Mac, being forced to fill out personal contact information and enter the serial numbers of the machines eligible for the free upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion. Once all information had been submitted, Apple was generating a reference number for the claim and the actual redemption code was being delivered via email. The redemption code was being sent out as a password-protected PDF attachment with a second email containing the password for opening the PDF.

    Those who attempted to redeem the OS X Mountain Lion code in the Mac App Store were not given access to the update; however the operating system has yet to go live in the store. The people who tried to put in the code they received ended up having the Mac App Store yield an error noting that it is “not recognized as a valid code.” OS X Mountain Lion will be released later this month with hints suggesting that it will be released this Wednesday, July 25th.

    Source: Apple

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The Future
    Posts
    2,139
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 239 Times in 197 Posts

    With the Mac App Store being the only method of being released

    LOL

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,088
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts

    I consider getting a new computer 1-12 months. I think my new mac deserves the upgrade even though i got it 4 months ago its still new to me... i believe spending that much money deserves a free upgrade...

  4. #4
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts

    Well it looks official on their site http://www.apple.com/osx/
    And the free upgrade notice for new mac users has been on there for over a week.

    Yet another inaccurate bit of reporting.

  5. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Milky Way, Solar System, Earth
    Posts
    140
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    With the Mac App Store being the only method of being released

    LOL
    And your point is...?

    OSX is Mac-only (hackintosh aside), therefore it is cheaper for everyone to download it and install via appstore and if you so much desire, you then can burn it to DL-DVD and archive for further use.
    PRAETORIANNI NONNUMQUAM IN PROELIO NUMQUAM IN BELLO SUPERANTUR

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,579
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 185 Times in 132 Posts

    Sounds like a great gesture to me. Apple didn't have to give it away..much appreciated!

  7. #7
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    I consider getting a new computer 1-12 months. I think my new mac deserves the upgrade even though i got it 4 months ago its still new to me... i believe spending that much money deserves a free upgrade...
    +1

    Even though mines is from Nov 2011.. i spent $1,800 for my MBP.. at least a discount would be cool, It's less than a year old!!

    I love and hate apple!

  8. #8
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    92
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by pegitt View Post
    Well it looks official on their site http://www.apple.com/osx/
    And the free upgrade notice for new mac users has been on there for over a week.

    Yet another inaccurate bit of reporting.
    Yes, there is a section for it, but it won't let you do it.

  9. #9
    iPhoneaholic glassJAw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    454
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 49 Times in 39 Posts

    My new MBA greatly appreciates this.

  10. #10
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    648
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 91 Times in 72 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by n0id View Post
    +1

    Even though mines is from Nov 2011.. i spent $1,800 for my MBP.. at least a discount would be cool, It's less than a year old!!

    I love and hate apple!
    It’s $20. They’re shouldn't be any complaining about a major software upgrade of this price. Stop complaining. You don’t have to upgrade if you don't want to. Lion will still continue to be on your computer if you don’t upgrade.

  11. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,088
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    It’s $20. They’re shouldn't be any complaining about a major software upgrade of this price. Stop complaining. You don’t have to upgrade if you don't want to. Lion will still continue to be on your computer if you don’t upgrade.
    The thing is its not a significant update at all. It's basically just apps and a notification center.

  12. #12
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    648
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 91 Times in 72 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    The thing is its not a significant update at all. It's basically just apps and a notification center.
    Will you be able to get those apps and notification center without upgrading to ML? That’s pretty significant if you want those updated and improved functionalities. Built in sharing to Facebook and twitter are huge too. Airplay mirroring? I would’ve paid the $20 just for that feature alone.
    Last edited by Scotty Manley Silberhorn; 07-24-2012 at 04:14 PM.

  13. #13
    What's Jailbreak? Jacobg013's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Not sure if this deserved a post considering almost every update by mac allows new buyers to do this

  14. #14
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,088
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Will you be able to get those apps and notification center without upgrading to ML? That’s pretty significant if you want those updated and improved functionalities. Built in sharing to Facebook and twitter are huge too. Airplay mirroring? I would’ve paid the $20 just for that feature alone.
    based on that logic you have to buy parallels or windows because you can't run .exes on your mac. your logic is "if you can't get a feature without updating or buying something it makes it worth the price"

  15. #15
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    648
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 91 Times in 72 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    based on that logic you have to buy parallels or windows because you can't run .exes on your mac. your logic is "if you can't get a feature without updating or buying something it makes it worth the price"
    in fact that’s exactly what I did so I can run .exe files. I paid for it because I needed/wanted it, it was worth the price.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts