Results 1 to 20 of 20

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Kent Walker: Some Apple Patents Should Be Tech Standards

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,364
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 144 Times in 129 Posts

    Default Kent Walker: Some Apple Patents Should Be Tech Standards


    Apple CEO Tim Cook previously said that he wants other companies to “invent their own stuff,” and that Apple shouldn’t be the “inventor for the world.” Google Senior Vice President and General Counsel Kent Walker seems to disagree with the statement and even went as far as writing a letter to the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee arguing that commercial inventions that impact “consumer welfare” should be just as important as technical patents. John Paczkowski of All Things D shared the following interpretation of Walker’s argument:

    In other words, Google’s view is that just as there are patents that are standard essential, there are also patents that are commercially essential — patents that cover features that are so popular as to have become ubiquitous. The latter are just as ripe for abuse as the former, and withholding them is just as harmful to consumers and the competitive marketplace. Viewed through that lens, multitouch technology or slide-to-unlock might be treated the same way as an industry standard patent on, say, a smartphone radio.
    Apple’s top lawyer, Bruce Sewell, wrote a rebuttal letter to the committee stating that as a proprietary technology becomes quite popular [it] does not transform it into a ‘standard’ subject to the same legal constraints as true standard.” To put it in simpler terms, Apple is stating that even if Apple’s technology is popular with consumers, it doesn’t mean Apple has to license that technology to its competitors. The statement goes to show how strongly Apple disagrees with Walker’s point of view. On the other hand, Apple does own numerous patents regarding nearly all iOS technology. Sewell mentioned the following in his rebuttal letter:

    The capabilities of an iPhone are categorically different from a conventional phone, and result from Apple’s ability to bring its traditional innovation in computing to the mobile market. Using an iPhone to take photos, manage a home-finance spreadsheet, play video games, or run countless other applications has nothing to do with standardized protocols. Apple spent billions in research and development to create the iPhone, and third party software developers have spent billions more to develop applications that run on it.
    Although Cook mentioned previously that he hates lawsuits, he also said that he will defend Apple’s inventions from copycats. This is similar (although its toned down) to what Jobs said in his biography where he threatened to “go thermonuclear” on Google for what he considered was theft of Apple’s intellectual property. For those of you who are interested in reading more specific details about the letters and are seeking a deeper analysis of the legal aspects of the situation, hit the source link below.

    Source: All Things D

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    I agree with both. Well put that some of ten should be tech standards but sometimes it looks like they really do just copy apple

  3. #3
    The funny thing is this sites information is always different about how great ios and a dated iphone is

  4. #4
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,441
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 185 Times in 145 Posts

    Some Apple patents shouldn't have been granted in the first place

  5. #5
    Wow! I'm just glad someone feels the same way....

  6. #6
    That's pretty dumb. Walker wants some Apple patents to be considered standard simply because they're popular. So, the more successful your company becomes the less right you have to patents, his logic goes.

    Apple's lawyer is absolutely correct. Walker either doesn't understand patent law or is openly and offensively bitter. Or both and he's attempting some type of slow character assassination of Apple by trying to drum up anti-Apple sentiment on the web. He's appears to be politicizing a purely business issue.

    Apparently Walker wants to redistribute Apple's wealth. Google's Socialist colors are certainly shining through. It's pretty sickening.

  7. #7
    What google really means is it has made a mistake!! Rather than making a great google/andriod phone it has made a os that is good on one or two phones then just **** on others! So now wants the good bits of ios don't get me wrong iOS could be better! And the iPhone needs a major upgrade of some sort!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Some Apple patents shouldn't have been granted in the first place
    Exactly! What's broken here is the patent system. Sure Apple has a right to protect its IP especially if "Apple" created it. But no one has the right to take longstanding tech as their own and patent it. You know like SHAPES! The USPTO should not allow ANY entity to patent a rectangle with rounded edges. Sayin...

  9. #9
    guys apple ordered for those patents BEFORE they were popular they were granted because apple had insight. Apple didn't get those patents a week after they asked for them they got them years after

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In the shadows
    Posts
    798
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 74 Times in 47 Posts

    Isn't Apple founded by copying everything? I do belive the first Apple computer was a copy of a PC from Microsoft.
    And things like Siri isn't Apples as they just stole the idea from someone else. Yea, they brought it but they now say its their idea where its not it was someone elses first.

    And how do they get patents in the first place? The last I read was scroll bars. I do believe it was again Microsoft and Explorer which started the scroll bars so again Apple just stole the idea and said its theirs.

    I would love to see Apple go under and loose everything as they deserve it with all the crap they put others through.

  11. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    That's pretty dumb. Walker wants some Apple patents to be considered standard simply because they're popular. So, the more successful your company becomes the less right you have to patents, his logic goes.

    Apple's lawyer is absolutely correct. Walker either doesn't understand patent law or is openly and offensively bitter. Or both and he's attempting some type of slow character assassination of Apple by trying to drum up anti-Apple sentiment on the web. He's appears to be politicizing a purely business issue.

    Apparently Walker wants to redistribute Apple's wealth. Google's Socialist colors are certainly shining through. It's pretty sickening.
    You don't understand do you. Many of Apple's patents are vague and shouldn't be granted anyways. I personally think Apple are using these patents as an advantage to gain a monopoly in the smart phone industry. Also Google has no social colors whatsoever.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Isn't Apple founded by copying everything? I do belive the first Apple computer was a copy of a PC from Microsoft.
    And things like Siri isn't Apples as they just stole the idea from someone else. Yea, they brought it but they now say its their idea where its not it was someone elses first.

    And how do they get patents in the first place? The last I read was scroll bars. I do believe it was again Microsoft and Explorer which started the scroll bars so again Apple just stole the idea and said its theirs.

    I would love to see Apple go under and loose everything as they deserve it with all the crap they put others through.


    lulz

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    You don't understand do you. Many of Apple's patents are vague and shouldn't be granted anyways. I personally think Apple are using these patents as an advantage to gain a monopoly in the smart phone industry. Also Google has no social colors whatsoever.
    Then why were they granted? If apple is given rights to vague things, why can't other companies do it? It's because they can't, because they dont have original, "vague" ideas. The patent system is open to everyone, not just apple - you could do it just as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Isn't Apple founded by copying everything? I do belive the first Apple computer was a copy of a PC from Microsoft.
    And things like Siri isn't Apples as they just stole the idea from someone else. Yea, they brought it but they now say its their idea where its not it was someone elses first.

    And how do they get patents in the first place? The last I read was scroll bars. I do believe it was again Microsoft and Explorer which started the scroll bars so again Apple just stole the idea and said its theirs.

    I would love to see Apple go under and loose everything as they deserve it with all the crap they put others through.
    Other companies can create a phone all they want - macs look nothing like pcs.
    Siri is apples property since they bought it - therefore they can patent it, what's wrong with that?
    If you realise, the patent specifically says
    The vertical bar has a vertical position on top of the displayed portion of the electronic document that corresponds to the vertical position in the electronic document of the displayed portion of the electronic document. After a predetermined condition is met, display of the vertical bar is ceased.
    This is disappearing scroll bars, which utilise the screen space, which I believe was done first by apple.
    Last edited by kooris; 07-21-2012 at 04:27 PM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Isn't Apple founded by copying everything? I do belive the first Apple computer was a copy of a PC from Microsoft.
    And things like Siri isn't Apples as they just stole the idea from someone else. Yea, they brought it but they now say its their idea where its not it was someone elses first.

    And how do they get patents in the first place? The last I read was scroll bars. I do believe it was again Microsoft and Explorer which started the scroll bars so again Apple just stole the idea and said its theirs.

    I would love to see Apple go under and loose everything as they deserve it with all the crap they put others through.
    Did I miss something? I do believe it was MICROSOFT that stole from Apple. Watch Pirates of Silicon Valley. Explains it all. Get your facts straight next time. It's probably why Jobs was so adamant about Android stealing from iDevices. It's already happened once before.

  15. #15
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    B7R
    Posts
    203
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kooris View Post
    because they dont have original, "vague" ideas.
    -slide-unlock_thumb.jpg
    That's right, I forgot Apple slide to unlock was their original idea
    from my rooted Droid DNA

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    I agree with both. Well put that some of ten should be tech standards but sometimes it looks like they really do just copy apple
    you're an ***. apple copies and steals just as much as any other company.

  17. #17
    Green Apple MCN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    you're an ***. apple copies and steals just as much as any other company.
    How many of the iOS features that they currently use were first on the jailbreak scene before they were adopted into iOS that they now own patents on? I remember HAVING to jailbreak just to background apps, use a background on the home screen, create folders, and even record a video...
    Still a bit fresh at this...and will evolve to FRESH in a Bel Air type of way!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by MCN View Post
    How many of the iOS features that they currently use were first on the jailbreak scene before they were adopted into iOS that they now own patents on? I remember HAVING to jailbreak just to background apps, use a background on the home screen, create folders, and even record a video...
    I remember having to jailbreak to just install apps besides the stock apps. Remember Apple didn't come with that till next version.

  19. #19
    Livin the iPhone Life bigboyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East Coast
    Posts
    1,744
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 266 Times in 172 Posts

    So many arguments so little time. Big Business an be an ugly machine. Fighting over pennies that become billions is also normal in our time of technology boom. At the same time ALL companies borrow cheat and steal from one another. There are very few "original ideas" out there. We seem to have enhancements on existing tech before a revolutionary product any day of the week. The last couple of iPhones are testaments to that..although i purchased both. Not complaining just my opinion. As long as there is competition there will be finger pointing and lawsuits as its the foundation of this game that they play..happy suing haha!

  20. #20
    Patient should be granted to protect original ideas but apple did abuse the system and patient some very basic things. Open your eyes and stop protecting apple just cause you're a Fanboy! heck, i love my iPhone and i don't give a crap about an android right now but the some of these apple patient are ridicules.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •