+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Portland Oregon Getting Magnificent Glass Structure Apple Store

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Portland Oregon Getting Magnificent Glass Structure Apple Store

Little by little, Apple is moving away from the non-glass store structure that most of us are well-acquainted with. In Portland, Oregon, you can find the latest example of how the tech titan is moving whenever possible to erect the more austere but still striking glass structure retail stores that we've seen in a number of places where Apple has set up shop around the world.

On Thursday, despite some opposition among local lawmakers and community residents, the Portland Design Commission approved Apple's proposed glass structure design (in a 5-1 vote) that will soon stand as Apple's revamped Portland, Oregon retail store.

According to those who have seen the designs and the location of the store, the "materials and location are nearly epic" and the store, once built, will be "among the chain’s most distinctive, as well as a city landmark." All told, it's something that Portland couldn't afford to lose because of the attention and revenue such a structure will eventually generate over time.

The design, local reporters noted on Thursday, came to Portland officials from the San Francisco architectural firm Bohlin Cywinski Jackson (an Apple store design veteran). The new Apple store will supposedly be a "single story building and outdoor plaza area... fully glazed with clear glass."

Based on what sources close to the project have admitted, the structure is going to be a sight to behold and a hotspot destination for locals and tourists alike.

Sources: Oregon Live, ifoAppleStore

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

What is the point of this? Doesn't make me wanna buy an iPhone/iPad/whatever any more than I already do... Honestly this is a waste of money in my opinion just my $.02

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    What is the point of this? Doesn't make me wanna buy an iPhone/iPad/whatever any more than I already do... Honestly this is a waste of money in my opinion just my $.02
    Funny, I didn't realize this sites purpose was to sell iPhone/iPad/whatever

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slickric View Post
    Really guy????? He is talking about the stores "Glass Design" not making him want to buy more products..Wow man.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Funny you say that. Because I took what she said as being directed towards Apple re: building this store; not to the writer of this article or the site.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

WTF? I'm saying why make a glass store. This sites purpose is to give news. My comment was that why is Apple wasting money on a glass store which will not make me as a consumer want to buy their products any more than usual. And just so you don't mix this up, this comment is a response to yours.

Thanks

WTF? I'm saying why make a glass store. This sites purpose is to give news. My comment was that why is Apple wasting money on a glass store which will not make me as a consumer want to buy their products any more than usual. And just so you don't mix this up, this comment is a response to yours.
    A glass store will attract a lot of attention.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Waste of money? Maybe. Apple has a lot of spare money to do whatever they want with.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well they have the money, let them spend on it as they chose.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 836 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    A glass store will attract a lot of attention.
    That, and it's about the experience. If you buy an iPod in a structural work of art it just means more. Like how on my first time flying in a plane I had a crappy little bagel with cream cheese, and I loved it despite never having liked cream cheese. Now I love cream cheese.

A fantastic experience, like walking through a sculptural work of glass art, will make Apple fans for life.