+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's Rumored HDTV Intimidating 'Smart TV' Makers

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Apple is yet to confirm the existence of plans to enter the connected HDTV market, but just the mere thought of Apple doing so is apparently enough to freak out
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple's Rumored HDTV Intimidating 'Smart TV' Makers

Apple is yet to confirm the existence of plans to enter the connected HDTV market, but just the mere thought of Apple doing so is apparently enough to freak out other makers of so-called smart TVs.

The latest talk surfacing in a new Digitimes report indicates that a number of prominent TV makers are "taking no chances" with Apple's rumored plans. And, as a result, a number of these key TV makers are ganging up and forming a "smart TV alliance."

One source admits that the alliances are forming almost exclusively because of "Apple's influence in the market." The concerned manufacturers are worried that Apple will similarly dominate the smart TV market, just as the company has cleaned house in the mobile space.

The alliance-forming TV makers are researching and developing smart TV concepts that will have similar functions as Samsung Electronics' but will still need a lot of time before models start hitting stores, added the sources.
    When you talk about a rapidly expanding market, the smart TV arena is a perfect example of such a phenomenon. The latest industry estimates maintain that smart TVs will achieve a 40% penetration rate within the next two years.

Source: DigiTimes

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hang on, an article with out the word "iTV" being used!

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pegitt View Post
    Hang on, an article with out the word "iTV" being used!
    Oh god, why did you have to go and say something.

Thanks

itv? not in the UK - they've been beaten to it ITV

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I like how people think Apple stuff should have an "i" in front of there product names. I'm fine with product names like AppleTV.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Why should they worry? Any tv put out by apple will be so highly priced that most people won't even blink an eye at it. I would bet their tv will be at least twice as much as a comparably sized tv by another manufacturer.... maybe 2.5/3 x as much. I know the apple fanbois will be lining up to drop their duketts on an apple tv but the average consumer will go buy their tv at 1/3 the cost and will be happy they did. Kinda like with macs.... why spend so much for one when the same computer in a different shell is 1/3 the cost? Sales figures say the majority of people buying computers also feel this way.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Actually, sales figure show that less and less people buying computers feel that way. Meanwhile, how's that argument working out for the smartphone market? But don't let logic get in the way of your trolling. Carry on.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geeked_squad View Post
    Actually, sales figure show that less and less people buying computers feel that way. Meanwhile, how's that argument working out for the smartphone market? But don't let logic get in the way of your trolling. Carry on.
    LoL... troll huh. At least I have facts behind me and you have?

I figured some one would bring up the increasing apple %..... what are the numbers? Yeah, like I said, as the sales figures clearly show.

Found these Q4 2011 numbers..... PC 15542 vs Mac 2028 *unit shipment is in the thousands.
    http://gigaom.com/apple/macs-still-g...ket-stagnates/

"There’s no questioning the dominance of Microsoft Windows among the world’s computers. Recent statistics show Windows is the OS on more than 78% of all personal computers sold, while Apple‘s Macs have to settle for 3.7%. However, Microsoft’s perch isn’t as high as it used to be."
    July 3 2012 http://mashable.com/2012/07/03/mac-vs-pc-sales/
    So pretty much in your face... fanboi much?
    Last edited by rkswat; 07-21-2012 at 01:52 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    However, Microsoft’s perch isn’t as high as it used to be.
    Actually, this line says that the guy you're quoting is correct. Less and less consumers go with a PC.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why is it anyone that may say anything negative is trolling? Seems when you call someone this it just shows that you cannot support what you believe. Their are a lot of negatives to all sides.....live with it. Calling out troll every time is childlike behaviour. Defend yourself with facts.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    LoL... troll huh. At least I have facts behind me and you have?

I figured some one would bring up the increasing apple %..... what are the numbers? Yeah, like I said, as the sales figures clearly show.

Found these Q4 2011 numbers..... PC 15542 vs Mac 2028 *unit shipment is in the thousands.
    Macs sales growing, but U.S. PC market stagnates — Apple News, Tips and Reviews

"There’s no questioning the dominance of Microsoft Windows among the world’s computers. Recent statistics show Windows is the OS on more than 78% of all personal computers sold, while Apple‘s Macs have to settle for 3.7%. However, Microsoft’s perch isn’t as high as it used to be."
    July 3 2012 http://mashable.com/2012/07/03/mac-vs-pc-sales/
    So pretty much in your face... fanboi much?
    Trying too hard much?
    Also ::iaintevenmad::

iPhone? More like MyPhone br8thw8's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    I like how people think Apple stuff should have an "i" in front of there product names. I'm fine with product names like AppleTV.
    i prefer iAppleTV