Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Firefox 14 Released

Default Firefox 14 Released

Mozilla has launched Firefox version 14 today for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux with some much-requested features. The update sets aim on security by encrypting our Google searches and also adding features for Web developers by adding new APIs. Firefox 14 also finally brings native Mac OS X Lion full-screen application support to the browser for the first time in a public release.

One noticeable new feature with the browser is that the URL bar has a new icon indication system that relays to the user the level of security the Web site they are visiting has. A planet icon indicates that the Web site is a regular public site, a lock icon indicates that the Web site uses at least SSL security, and a green lock icon with the name of the Web site owner indicates an EV (Extended Validation) Certificate and shows that the site is trusted.

Other changes include auto-complete for the ‘Awesome’ bar, the ability to only load Web site plugins upon clicking on them, and more notifications that will alert you to possible security issues. Firefox 14 also fixes a couple of bugs including stuck GIF animations when image sizes are changed, and some CSS and security fixes. Some of the new APIs include one for preventing your display from going to sleep and one for pointer lock. You can view the entire set of release notes by Mozilla from this link.

Perhaps the most favorited feature in this new release is the Mac OS X Lion full-screen application support. The browser now includes the native full-screen button at the top right of the application that will put the application into full-screen mode. For some, the time it took for Mozilla to implement this feature has led them to use different browsers instead. For those that remained loyal to Mozilla, this new feature will mean a lot of happy shout-outs by the users.

Firefox should prompt you for the update automatically. If not, you can find the download links below:
    Firefox 14 for Mac OS X
    Firefox 14 for Windows
    Firefox 14 for Linux

Sources: Mozilla
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 07-17-2012 at 06:55 PM.

Theres a new firefox version every week. Its not even a big deal anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Jarolin Vargas View Post
    The last major release was about a month and a half ago. Link.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

I hate this rapid release cycle; it really isn't necessary. The version numbers change so fast its ridiculous.

This release cycle where they don't even bother with minors anymore is truly annoying. I stopped updating some months ago, what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    This release cycle where they don't even bother with minors anymore is truly annoying. I stopped updating some months ago, what's the point?
    Features? Security?

Thanks

I use Google Chrome. Pass

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    I stopped updating some months ago, what's the point?
    What's the harm (of updating)? It's absurdly easy.

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    What's the harm (of updating)? It's absurdly easy.
    Yeah infant firefox lets you know about the update and you waste more time in the long run clicking no because it bugs you so much.

Agreed. There's a new Firefox update just about every other day. It's no big deal. I use Chrome mainly, and Firefox when Chrome doesn't do what I want it to. IE is completely useless. It should be removed from every computer.

Im really pissed at Mozilla for releasing a new major release every month - its just plain stupid. Thats what minor releases are for. By the time people are on IE 10; FF is going to be on 100. Im starting to contemplate moving to Chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarolin Vargas View Post
    Yup I was just about to say this. They'll fix a typo and call it firefox 15. I'm sure it's just something petty to try and out do IE version number.

For those asking why others complain about frequent updates, the problem is that it doesn't give 3rd-party plugin developers time to update their products. Many of us developers depend on these plugins for our own work.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Irrelevant to modifying my i-device.

Thanks

There will be another "Major Update" in about an hour haha! Mozilla really needs to get it together. I'll stick with Chrome as it has everything I need and more :]

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Features? Security?
    Security: In the last decade I've not experienced any issue whatsoever with older FF versions.
    Features: What's so compelling? Each release breaks some add-on compatibility, so, no thanks. Don't see the need.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    Yeah infant firefox lets you know about the update and you waste more time in the long run clicking no because it bugs you so much.
    I have blocked FF's ability to check this. No bugging anymore. What's the harm of updating? It changes things I am accustomed to and for no evident reason. I update perhaps once per year and that just suits me fine.
    Last edited by cpotoso; 07-18-2012 at 08:56 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SupaMonkey View Post
    Im really pissed at Mozilla for releasing a new major release every month - its just plain stupid. Thats what minor releases are for. By the time people are on IE 10; FF is going to be on 100. Im starting to contemplate moving to Chrome.
    That'll teach those Mozilla morons! You're just not going to take any more major numbers! **** no!

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    Irrelevant to modifying my i-device.
    In case you were unaware, this section of the forums is related to Mac news and not iOS news.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yeah release in full number updates is a little annoying but doesn't hurt anyone.
    We're used to seeing full number updates for major updates and not minor updates or security patches.
    I'd prefer Mozilla to go back to that to be honest but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

@Those moving to Chrome.
    Have you checked your version number recently? Chrome for Mac is at version 20.0 and it's been around far less than Firefox.

Firefox really gets updated really well and every now and then but I never see new things from the other ones