+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: You Can Make Your Mac Sound Like A Typewriter While You Type With 'Noisy Typer'

is a discussion within the

Mac News

forums, a part of the

General Apple/Mac

section;
Making extra noise while on the computer is not everyone’s preference, however there are always people out there that try to be different and just love getting the extra attention
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default You Can Make Your Mac Sound Like A Typewriter With 'Noisy Typer'

Making extra noise while on the computer is not everyone’s preference, however there are always people out there that try to be different and just love getting the extra attention that some additional sounds can produce. An application called Noisy Typer by developer Theo Watson is free and will make it so that your Mac computer sounds like a traditional typewriter when you are typing – making those old-fashioned tick, tink, and ping sounds.

Noisy Typer will run as a background computer process meaning that it will work in every single application that you can use the keyboard in. If you feel that you need to be a little quieter, the application can be disabled by typing in the keyboard sequence: qaz123 and the typewriter keyboard sounds will stop playing as you type on your keyboard. Users that don't mind performing a few extra steps can alternatively kill the process from Mac OS X's Activity Monitor application. Launching the application again is as easy as launching any other application in Mac OS X – double-click on the application icon.

Noisy Typer is an open source application (source code here) and only works on Mac OS X at this point in time. There is not yet any public information about a Windows version being released. Noisy Typer also comes with a Read Me file that is imperative to read because the installation process is a bit out of the ordinary. If you want to use the application, you need to perform the following steps to install Noisy Typer or it will not work properly:

It doesn't matter how slow or how fast you type; the application recognizes your keystrokes pretty well. Noisy Typer isn’t really that practical of an application, but the idea is fun and quirky and there are probably a few people that will like it. The developer offers props to the first person to start using his application in Starbucks! Be sure to let us know what you think about it if you decide to give it a try.

Sources: F.A.T. via OSX Daily
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 07-14-2012 at 05:03 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

hah that's pretty neat

My iPhone is a Part of Me korbyn8495's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha, it's cool. It uses like 10mb of RAM, works extremely well. Fun to use.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

this would go great with passport!

My iPhone is a Part of Me JimboHurt's Avatar
    Thanks

Dang if I wasn't a windows user I would really like this!!
    Have a random themeing/jaku question? Hit me up on twitter to avoid an off topic post. I am glad to help.
    @jimbohurt

Thanks

Cool app!!! Lets see hoe long before it becomes annoying.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

please tell me we have something like this for the iphones keyboard! lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 773 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lilrican21 View Post
    please tell me we have something like this for the iphones keyboard! lol
    Try: 'Typewriter Keyboard Sound' in Cydia. It's the best of the three choices! Only wish the UISounds Folder had a separate sound for the Return key so we could have the 'Ding' sound when moving to the next line... 😩

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Man...this forum needs a "worthless app of the day" section.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 773 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by negativebeef View Post
    man...this forum needs a "worthless app of the day" section.
    lol!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have no idea why I want this but I do

Thanks

The reason the application is interesting, in my opinion, is because it offers a type of haptic feedback. It seems to be popular and preferred to have some kind of haptic feedback while typing on electronic devices. Some phones vibrate when you type on the keyboard, others play keyboard clicks – computers don't do anything because all you can hear is the clickity clack of your fingers on the plastic keys. This application offers a nice change and a sense of customization.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I like the part where he goes like "gets $50... *backspace backspace* mad props"

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    The reason the application is interesting, in my opinion, is because it offers a type of haptic feedback. It seems to be popular and preferred to have some kind of haptic feedback while typing on electronic devices. Some phones vibrate when you type on the keyboard, others play keyboard clicks computers don't do anything because all you can hear is the clickity clack of your fingers on the plastic keys. This application offers a nice change and a sense of customization.
    Well said, when the keyboard is silent for me when typing, it feels awkward.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Its cool, but i can tell when things will get annoying after awhile.. I'm going to try this out, but I'm pretty sure I will disable it after a few days..

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The reason the application is interesting, in my opinion, is because it offers a type of haptic feedback. It seems to be popular and preferred to have some kind of haptic feedback while typing on electronic devices. Some phones vibrate when you type on the keyboard, others play keyboard clicks computers don't do anything because all you can hear is the clickity clack of your fingers on the plastic keys. This application offers a nice change and a sense of customization.
    Haptic feedback is touch feedback not audio feedback. This does not offer haptic feedback in any way.

I don't see how any other sound would give any more of a "feedback" than the "clickity clack of your fingers on the plastic keys". It's simply adding another sound to accompany the "clickity clack". Will you turn the volume up to drown out the "clickity clack"?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Haptic feedback is touch feedback not audio feedback. This does not offer haptic feedback in any way.

I don't see how any other sound would give any more of a "feedback" than the "clickity clack of your fingers on the plastic keys". It's simply adding another sound to accompany the "clickity clack". Will you turn the volume up to drown out the "clickity clack"?
    You're correct. I referred to it as "a type of haptic feedback" because it compares to the way cell phones vibrate when you type on them. MacBooks aren't equipped with vibration technology so it isn't a fair comparison as it sits, which is why I didn't call it an absolute.

The louder that you have the volume, yes, it can drown out the typing noises that your fingers make.

It's obviously a difference of opinion, but why not give the application a try and see if you like it?
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 07-15-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Pretty cool on my Hackintoch

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You're correct. I referred to it as "a type of haptic feedback" because it compares to the way cell phones vibrate when you type on them. MacBooks aren't equipped with vibration technology so it isn't a fair comparison as it sits, which is why I didn't call it an absolute.

The louder that you have the volume, yes, it can drown out the typing noises that your fingers make.

It's obviously a difference of opinion, but why not give the application a try and see if you like it?
    Tried it. Didn't like it. I much prefer silent typing on my mac and iphone.

You should really change that to "type of feedback", or "an alternative to haptic feedback". Audio still isn't a type of haptic feedback. You've essential said sound is a type of vibration.