Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: San Francisco Drops Apple After Apple Drops EPEAT Certification

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default San Francisco Drops Apple After Apple Drops EPEAT Certification

There's trouble in paradise between local officials and Apple in the city of San Francisco. According to sources close to the matter, San Francisco city officials want all municipal agencies to be barred from purchasing Apple computers and laptops. Why? Apple isn't "green" enough.

Inflaming the situation was the recent move on Apple's part to pull the green electronics certification off its Mac computers. And, according to the Wall Street Journal, utter pandemonium broke out among officials in San Francisco as a result of the controversial decision.

Apple had removed its laptops and notebooks from a voluntary registry of green electronics, called EPEAT. The standard, created jointly by manufacturers, including Apple, government agencies, and activist groups, requires that electronics products be designed for ease in recycling and higher energy efficiency.
    For now, Apple won't comment on the matter. But officials in San Francisco are certainly more than happy to discuss the debacle.

“We are disappointed that Apple chose to withdraw from EPEAT,” Melanie Nutter, director of San Francisco’s Department of Environment, tells the WSJ. “We hope that the city saying it will not buy Apple products will make Apple reconsider its participation.”

In case you're wondering, the decision by San Francisco officials to back away from Apple wasn't a sudden, unexpected move. As it turns out, a longstanding policy in San Francisco "mandates that city funds only be used to purchase EPEAT-certified desktops, laptops and monitors."

Source: WSJ

polluting the world...one iPhone at a time. lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lilrican21 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (07-10-2012)

Since the main reason they dropped the cert is the new MACs are "easy to disassemble", it does seem to me that it wouldn't be that hard to make them where they could be. And I'd imagine Jobs would've insisted on it. And it's just the right thing to do. My .02.

But on the flip side, bu'by San Fran!

Hey, we gained 0.1 mm in thickness (or "thinness" as manufacturers now want to claim). Who cares if it pollutes more than necessary.... Apple is evil.

The last paragraph is the key. Plain and simple. Still, while reading this I couldn't help but envision the "Hybrid" episode of South Park. "Thaaaannnks!!"
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

Apparently Apple thinks they are cool enough and irreplaceable now. Guess not.

Haha! That is funny. I love watching liberals fighting each other....

Quote Originally Posted by lilrican21 View Post
    polluting the world...one iPhone at a time. lol
    Troll, if you had been following the debate you would have known that it's not because the products are any less "green" (which is a BS thing to call any electronic equipment) but because their products can't be repaired easily (too much glue). Unless you were trying to be ironic or something, but in that case you fail as well.

I'm amazed at some of the comments here:

For those who say this doesn't pollute more, well, if you have to buy an entirely new machine just for more RAM, that would pollute more because instead of just adding or replacing RAM, you're adding a new laptop to the mix. Just one example.

To ChicagoV I don't see how this is anything like the South Park episode (which was funny as hell). This isn't San Fran being smug, this is San Fran saying, "If you're going to force us to buy a new laptop every time we want to upgrade something, we're out."

To Jeffrh who "loves watching liberals fight each other," I ask, what the hell does that have to with the price of tea in China. Clearly you haven't read what the EPEAT certification is because it has less to do with being "green" than it does about ensuring that products can be easily taken apart by consumers. This is a good thing because some of us understand the benefit in being able to upgrade, replace, & repair the parts in our laptop. This saves us a lot of money in repair costs!

This is a bad move by Apple, but it truly represents their own smugness when it comes to their products. The iPhone? Don't Hack that. The Mac? Buy it one way & if you want to add RAM, replace the battery, or do anything else, BUY a new one.

Anyone defending the soldering of RAM & the choice of design over adaptability in the new Macbook Pros is blinded by their allegiance to Apple (IMO). I find it extremely ironic that a company founded by tinkerers does so much to prevent anyone from tinkering with the products they make.

(I know I'll probably be flamed & I am in no way saying a PC Laptop is better, but I disagree with the design choice here & I'll stand by that with my money. Apple can continue to allow me to do less & less with their machines & I will continue to buy less & less from them)
    Last edited by Tario70; 07-11-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Essany View Post
    “We are disappointed that Apple chose to withdraw from EPEAT,” Melanie Nutter, director of San Francisco’s Department of Environment, tells the WSJ. “We hope that the city saying it will not buy Apple products will make Apple reconsider its participation.”
    Aww, isn't that cute. The City of San Francisco thinks Apple gives a crap about them.

They didn't give a crap when thousands complained about losing all ability to upgrade Macs (but bought them anyway), does anyone really think they give a crap that they won't get a couple thousand purchases from San Fran next update cycle? They have more then enough fanboy sheep to fill that void, and they know it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Beastly L92's Avatar
    Thanks

To believe any of the the green-hybrid-globo-warmage trash, one has to look at what the movement is fighting against. Carbon dioxide, aka building block of life on this planet, aka the stuff every plant breathes. And grown humans capable of vast critical thinking accept the notion that it can be taxed into exile. It's as comical as placing a tax ban on oxygen because it's flammable.

Good for you, Apple. Now, if only they'd refuse to pay carbon taxes or purchase carbon offsets. That might wake the rest of the world. Well, the first world, anyways since the third world is exempt.

Companies like these are PATHETIC. They see a big company like apple with huge media influence and decide to attack them so for money and publicity. They could attack anyone else cause no one else is exactly "green enough" but they choose apple why? Cause they have money and the media will publish anything about them

Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
    To ChicagoV I don't see how this is anything like the South Park episode (which was funny as hell). This isn't San Fran being smug, this is San Fran saying, "If you're going to force us to buy a new laptop every time we want to upgrade something, we're out."
    Oh no, I agree completely. I'm simply saying it made me think of that episode. Like I said, the FINAL PARAGRAPH in the article summed it up beautifully.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR